User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
KKORO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Yellowknife to Dawson City, Campbell or ALCan

My trip this summer will include Yellowknife. I've got a couple of questions.

What's the most scenic route to get to Dawson City -- Campbell Highway or ALCan Highway?

I want to buy some off-road tires, either in Yellowknife, if I take Campbell Highway, or Whitehorse, if I take the ALCan Highway. It's my understanding that I can't buy tires in Dawson City. Can I get tires in both Whitehorse and Yellowknife?

I'm looking to switch from my 80/20 tires to off-roads for the Dempster and Top of the World.

Thanks,

John
KKORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,035
Hi John. I think that you are correct about not being able to buy tires in Dawson, I never saw a tire shop there but if you contact the Honda car dealer in Whitehorse they certainly used to order tires in for bikes if you told them what you wanted. In Yellowknife Kenny Pick at Westown Tire will do the same, but again you'd have to order and pay in advance. There's a Yamaha dealer in Yellowknife that you could call - Force One - and there's also a Harley dealer there now that might help.

Cheers

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKORO View Post

What's the most scenic route to get to Dawson City -- Campbell Highway or ALCan Highway?

I want to buy some off-road tires, either in Yellowknife, if I take Campbell Highway, or Whitehorse, if I take the ALCan Highway. It's my understanding that I can't buy tires in Dawson City. Can I get tires in both Whitehorse and Yellowknife?

I'm looking to switch from my 80/20 tires to off-roads for the Dempster and Top of the World.

Thanks,

John
if you're riding the Mackenzie and Liard, you might need those tires way before the Campbell. when i went through, the Mackenzie was fine, the Liard very rough down to the BC border where it's paved to the Alcan.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
KKORO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
if you're riding the Mackenzie and Liard, you might need those tires way before the Campbell. when i went through, the Mackenzie was fine, the Liard very rough down to the BC border where it's paved to the Alcan.
That was the plan -- take the Mackenzie and Liard to Dawson City.

Maybe I need to rethink this whole tire thing and just run some good 50/50 tires the whole trip. It certainly would be less complicated.

Any thoughts on the way to go from a scenic standpoint?

Later,

John
KKORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,490
Quote:
That was the plan -- take the Mackenzie and Liard to Dawson City.

Maybe I need to rethink this whole tire thing and just run some good 50/50 tires the whole trip. It certainly would be less complicated.

Any thoughts on the way to go from a scenic standpoint?

Later,

John
i did go up to Yellowknife, then back down and out to Ft. Simpson, Ft. Liard, Watson Lake and across the Campbell. Dempster to Inuvik, Dawson City and across the Tow into Alaska. great route, lots to see, and loads of wildlife along the roads...use caution.

i've prepositioned sets of tires twice in Watson Lake, TKCs both times.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 568
Thumb Any which way?

Friend and I used the Campbell going north and came south on the Alcan after going through Dawson and Chicken via Top the World Highway. Both great options but whereas the Campbell is mostly dirt the Alcan is all paved but for resurfacing patches. They are both very scenic but you are going to have almost no traffic on the Campbell relative to the Alcan, in fact there is much more traffic on the Dempster than on the Campbell. Many more services on the Alcan. The Campbell and the other roads like it seemed a more reflective ride than the Alcan and more of why we headed up that way for the scoot.

Campbell into Ross River

Alcan looking north south of Watson Lake

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:

Thanks,

John
Idid this trip on Mitas E07,s a 50/50 tire and long wearing, I have since used the Mitas E09,s and love the tires
Make sure you say hello to Mitch in Fort Simpson,just ask for him at the visiter info. Booth.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
I stopped at the Honda motorcycle dealer in Whitehorse and they said they sell about 200 tires a season to advriders,all pre ordered.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
sue.t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Wicked

Consider the South Canol Road, from north of Teslin towards Ross River.
http://yukonsights.ca/SouthCanol.html
Far more interesting than the Campbell Highway, with some good side roads/goat trails for exploring.
sue.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue.t View Post
Far more interesting than the Campbell Highway, with some good side roads/goat trails for exploring.

Certainly second the South Canol Rd. A freind and I rode the south section last year in June on the way up to the D2D event. There where a couple of rough sections, It had only been open a week before we went thru. Quiet Lake campgound was exactly that. No one else was there & camped by the boat ramp.
As far a tires go I'd consider Heideneau K60's. Fairly aggresive and long wearing.
Not sure where you are leaving from though.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909

OldSilverFox screwed with this post 04-19-2015 at 04:36 PM
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue.t View Post
I'm heading up to do both the Canol to Mac Pass and the Nahanni Range Road this summer (July)... Solo

Last bits of the main Yukon Roads I have not seen. I'm a bit worried about fuel, but I think I am covered. I have my personal locator beacon, tools and food :-)

Love your site Sue. Been using it for years.

Was going to hike the Canol Heritage trail this year, but knee surgery squashed that plan.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
revitup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
Certainly second the South Canol Rd. A freind and I rode the south section last year in June on the way up to the D2D event. There where a couple of rough sections, It had only been open a week before we went thru. Quiet Lake campgound was exactly that. No one else was there & camped by the boat ramp.
As far a tires go I'd consider Heideneau K60's. Fairly aggresive and long wearing.
And I'll certainly third the South Canol Rd. A friend and I rode the south section last year in June on the way up to the D2D event.

It's a challenge, but a must ride. For sure have good 50/50 tires K60s or better (and bear spray). It's 220 klm but will take about 5 hours or longer.

Take care....after all you will be in the middle of no where and maybe not see anyone for a couple of days.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #13
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
And I'll certainly third the South Canol Rd. A friend and I rode the south section last year in June on the way up to the D2D event.

It's a challenge, but a must ride. For sure have good 50/50 tires K60s or better (and bear spray). It's 220 klm but will take about 5 hours or longer.

Take care....after all you will be in the middle of no where and maybe not see anyone for a couple of days.
The friend that rode with Revitup was me, Oldsilverfox, and by the way the rough spots where a piece of cake. LOL
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote