Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #4591
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,264
I may be making a run south within the next two to three weeks.
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #4592
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 1,953
About 12 years ago I drove to Fort Myers Florida in 36 hours...very painfull!! Don't think I could do that again I'm probably good at work for another month but after that...? I'm guessing you'd have to hit southern Florida, southern Texas or socal to be in the comfort zone at this time of year. Damn I wish it was spring already!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #4593
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
I may be making a run south within the next two to three weeks.
Dates? Destination?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #4594
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Just starting to work on a trip plan. Will pm you with details.
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #4595
BruCes POinT
One Of GOD'Z cLOwN'Z

Oddometer: 53
Trips South!

Hoping at the end of next riding season to ride south to the Imperial Valley, My homeground to store the Uly till late January. Will haul stuff back north.
Fly down in January, then will the ride over to Quartzsite to visit old friends at the Rock Shows, the 1st part of February on to the Tucson Gem&Mineral Show to do the same. little tour of the backroads back to the River@Yuma to Visit my Sis on the Colorado River, then drive back in one of my vehicles still down there, north to enjoy the Best of Winter.
Early Spring I'll fly back down, ride the bike up the coast to B.C., visiting old haunts, old friends&family all the way...
Then...
I'd like to try riding the TransCanadaAdventure Trail back to Tbay. Then Over to isplat2's camp for His Rally.
Phew!
Think my butt will fall off?
Breaks between legs of the Journey, Getting some Good use out of the Uly, Stretch my Riding Season Out!
Anybody see any holes in that?
b.
"Too Old
To Die Young"
BruCes POinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #4596
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Nope! Looks good to me. Some random photos of your escapades would be nice though, just to fuel the fire here, in the Great White North.
Have a good run and will see ya at the Isplat Picnic.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #4597
BruCes POinT
One Of GOD'Z cLOwN'Z

Quote:
Nope! Looks good to me. Some random photos of your escapades would be nice though, just to fuel the fire here, in the Great White North.
Have a good run and will see ya at the Isplat Picnic.
My Wife wants to Go to Cabo, take Along her youngest Son.
Oldest went for a Week last Year, Full Package...
Told Her I'd Meet her There! Might be the Ticket, Get Grand Tour of Old Haunts... Kewl!
Hope nuttin in Life Grenades before Then, & Will keep Ya'll up dated if/when it Happens.
Want to have fellow riders for the TCAT leg for Certain.
Would Not be Sane Otherwise... Well, careful w/sane..!
Company Down to Cabo&Back Be Real Good Too! LOVE Baja!
b.
"Too Old
To Die Young"
Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #4598
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
About 12 years ago I drove to Fort Myers Florida in 36 hours...very painfull!! Don't think I could do that again I'm probably good at work for another month but after that...? I'm guessing you'd have to hit southern Florida, southern Texas or socal to be in the comfort zone at this time of year. Damn I wish it was spring already!
Been there. Left Kenora at 05:00 on a Thursday morning with the wife and three kids. We were in upstate Florida Friday night for dinner. Everybody slept through the nigh, Thursday, and I just didn't bother to stop. I don't think I COULD do that again if I wanted to? I was tired for about three hours south of Chicago. After that. I was totally fine.
The NORMAL way would have been three overnights.
Right now, I'm comparing the cost of driving vs. flying to Orlando/Miami/Tampa/Daytona and renting a Harley for a week, and hitting the Keys? Methinks that would be FAR cheaper? Kind of too bad it'd probably be a Harley.
Lyle
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #4599
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Been there. Left Kenora at 05:00 on a Thursday morning with the wife and three kids. We were in upstate Florida Friday night for dinner. Everybody slept through the nigh, Thursday, and I just didn't bother to stop. I don't think I COULD do that again if I wanted to? I was tired for about three hours south of Chicago. After that. I was totally fine.
The NORMAL way would have been three overnights.
Right now, I'm comparing the cost of driving vs. flying to Orlando/Miami/Tampa/Daytona and renting a Harley for a week, and hitting the Keys? Methinks that would be FAR cheaper? Kind of too bad it'd probably be a Harley.
Lyle
Never been to the Keys, I imagine it would be very nice this time of year! Windy and minus 16c today here.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #4600
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,697
Florida is easy from here. I75 from the Soo. I've done it many times. Florida in 20ish hrs or so. Shouldn't have to go that far to ride though. Flights are cheap these days though. I could get to Florida for about the same price as a drive to Toronto.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #4601
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Here is a photo I came across this evening.... taken at Isplat's cabin in late May.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #4602
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Here is a photo I came across this evening.... taken at Isplat's cabin in late May.

Athos, Aramis and Porthos together again.....after all these years!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #4603
BruCes POinT
One Of GOD'Z cLOwN'Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruCes POinT View Post
My Wife wants to Go to Cabo, take Along her youngest Son.
Oldest went for a Week last Year, Full Package...
Told Her I'd Meet her There! Might be the Ticket, Get Grand Tour of Old Haunts... Kewl!
Hope nuttin in Life Grenades before Then, & Will keep Ya'll up dated if/when it Happens.
Want to have fellow riders for the TCAT leg for Certain.
Would Not be Sane Otherwise... Well, careful w/sane..!
Company Down to Cabo&Back Be Real Good Too! LOVE Baja!
b.
On Goin South&Escaping Winter, least the nasty bit coming&going, makes my bones hurt...

Want to put this Out there... 5 generations of my families have lived in the Imperial Valley, Calif.
North end of Baja, Just across the Border, Mexicali, upper end has Glamis, East end Buttercup Valley, ever see Flight of the Phoenix, filmed there, old Rat Patrol, filmed there... jus' bout anything w/Desert or Dune... there, or Near there...
Have a Lot of connections...& history there... Have access to Many Shop&Storage Places, in family&out.
Have a 28ft Toy Hauler...
Would Like to set up a small shop/storage for Desert Toys&Bikes, in a secure spot...
San Diego 100 miles over the Hill, NiCE Rides There, Anza-Borrego Desert, Ocotillo Wells, Plaster City West, practice ground for The Baja, Palm Springs to the North, Yuma 50 miles East.
Any Interest There???
Will do fieldwork next Winter.
b.
"Too Old
To Die Young"
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #4604
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
On Goin South&Escaping Winter, least the nasty bit coming&going, makes my bones hurt...

Want to put this Out there... 5 generations of my families have lived in the Imperial Valley, Calif.
North end of Baja, Just across the Border, Mexicali, upper end has Glamis, East end Buttercup Valley, ever see Flight of the Phoenix, filmed there, old Rat Patrol, filmed there... jus' bout anything w/Desert or Dune... there, or Near there...
Have a Lot of connections...& history there... Have access to Many Shop&Storage Places, in family&out.
Would Like to set up a small shop/storage for Desert Toys&Bikes, in a secure spot...
San Diego 100 miles over the Hill, NiCE Rides There, Anza-Borrego Desert, Ocotillo Wells, Plaster City West, practice ground for The Baja, Palm Springs to the North, Yuma 50 miles East.
Any Interest There???
b.
Right off the bat, I'm not a fan of the CHiP, but I suppose I could mind my Ps and Qs.. for the climate.
But yeah, that sounds yummy! I'm in... as long as the price ain't too steep...
Cheers, B
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #4605
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:

Any Interest There???
b.

YES

I hope to be able to stash a bike down there within a few years time.
I was trying to plan a baja run this winter but my travel plans have relocated and it isn't going to work out.
I've been considering renting a storage unit to stash a bike in and fly to Vegas to ride (cheap)

I"m open to an arrangement of sorts.

I really wanna ride in Baja.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote