Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #5251
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,673
NIce report Rob.... I truly need to drag a smaller bike to Thunder Bay and do the old roads one more time. I guess the KLR is my smaller bike until the next inventory change.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #5252
isplat2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
It's all isplat's fault.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
.........sorry 'bout that....sidecars are kind of addicting...as a second or third bike....I should have warned you about that before I sent you out in my rig..
..to make it up to you I'll use my patterns and cut you a new windshield for that ..
...the choice of colors available is...black, bright black, dark black, or black with black pinstripes.

isplat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #5253
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
NIce report Rob.... I truly need to drag a smaller bike to Thunder Bay and do the old roads one more time. I guess the KLR is my smaller bike until the next inventory change.
When you are up next, Greg, take my KLX250 out. On dirt. It might surprise you.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #5254
isplat2
Gnarly Adventurer

....IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP re: SIDECARS

....Ok Gord ...pay attention...this may save you from a crash...
....sidecars emit a "wow-cool-cute-can I go for a ride" reaction with a lot of women. (men are too manly to ask..)(and that is a good thing!)
....so....the odds are....at some point you will be taking ladies for a ride or two.
this is especially prevalent at social gatherings, rally's etc etc.
You may be faced with a virtual line-up of riders.
Don't despair...its not all bad.

Now...the Velorex 562 sidecar with the appropiately sized windshield has a wierd aerodynamic phenomenon that creates a suction (low pressure area) that is, essentially centered on the passengers chest....dependent on vehicle speed.
This will suck all clothing out from the body.

Loose-fitting summer tops + bra-less + aerodynamics can create a distraction that may cause the driver to lose concentration.
Cool, chilly air will only add to it.

Beware of this.
Watch for it.

isplat2 screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 04:24 AM
Old 06-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #5255
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by isplat2 View Post
.........sorry 'bout that....sidecars are kind of addicting...as a second or third bike....I should have warned you about that before I sent you out in my rig..
..to make it up to you I'll use my patterns and cut you a new windshield for that ..
...the choice of colors available is...black, bright black, dark black, or black with black pinstripes.
Oooh. Black with black stripes please. That's my favorite colour.
I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the suction phenomenon. While keeping one eye on the road of course.
So this is why some people say my sidecar sucks. JealousyI suppose.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #5256
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,165
dsdude - I was told that the evergreens suffered shock this spring when the early march temps were in the 20's they figured spring and started to grow and then a week later it was near 20 below for awhile. This apparently shut down thier systems causing them to go into shock and turn brown. As long as they don't totally loose thier needles they might recover, from what I've been told.

BackRoader - The weight and power are the 2 biggest things I noticed, it's great! Tons of power and a lighter bike that you can throw around and actually pickup off the ground without needing a nap afterwards! Only thing you sacrifice a bit is the highway ride but that can be changed somewhat. 200kms in the stock seat = numb ass

For me, it's the perfect bike!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #5257
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702

Sure wouldn't want to hit that rut at speed Looks like the rain is taking it's toll on the old roads and trails.

Looks like a good ride.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #5258
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post

Sure wouldn't want to hit that rut at speed Looks like the rain is taking it's toll on the old roads and trails.

Looks like a good ride.
Holy crap

Did you have an earthquake? How could the rain cause that? The drainage off the old railbed looks good.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #5259
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post

Looks like a good ride.
A "slip plain failure" to the old railway grade. The toe of the slope is giving out due exsessive moisture trapped in the road bed and probably at some point the heavy logging trucks put too much load close to the shoulder. These grades were designed to manage weights twice as heavy as a truck, however the rail loads were concentrated on 4 feet either side of the center of the track.
Sorry about this out burst, anyone looking for a consultant? Every once in a while I have to let this shit out so I can make room in my head to store bike information. OK isplat2, I expect a comment from you!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #5260
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
dsdude - I was told that the evergreens suffered shock this spring when the early march temps were in the 20's they figured spring and started to grow and then a week later it was near 20 below for awhile. This apparently shut down thier systems causing them to go into shock and turn brown. As long as they don't totally loose thier needles they might recover, from what I've been told.

BackRoader - The weight and power are the 2 biggest things I noticed, it's great! Tons of power and a lighter bike that you can throw around and actually pickup off the ground without needing a nap afterwards! Only thing you sacrifice a bit is the highway ride but that can be changed somewhat. 200kms in the stock seat = numb ass

For me, it's the perfect bike!
This is true about the evergreens here in southern Ontario it has affected the cedars. Basically they are saying it is like freezer burn. Lets hope they all recover
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #5261
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Holy crap

Did you have an earthquake? How could the rain cause that? The drainage off the old railbed looks good.

Nofate, there's a big swamp at the bottom of the hill and it was overloaded with water recently and I'm thinking like BackRoader said, that the embankment is settling down and outward into the swamp. I have never seen that before either!

Almost crashed into it at the far end, traveling about 120km/hr when I saw it and tried to get up on the highside when my front tire sunk into the start of the crack but a quick blast of the throtle popped the front end up and I saved it. Would have been more fun going off the way the photo is taken but we were coming from the low side.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #5262
isplat2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
A "slip plain failure" to the old railway grade. The toe of the slope is giving out due exsessive moisture trapped in the road bed and probably at some point the heavy logging trucks put too much load close to the shoulder. These grades were designed to manage weights twice as heavy as a truck, however the rail loads were concentrated on 4 feet either side of the center of the track.
Sorry about this out burst, anyone looking for a consultant? Every once in a while I have to let this shit out so I can make room in my head to store bike information. OK isplat2, I expect a comment from you!!!

......in actual fact, this "slip plain failure" as you refer to it was not caused by logging trucks.
A 950 KTM when accelerated hard, with a huge knobby tire....has been know to stretch the skin of the planet ....this "stretched " earth has to compensate somehow....ergo the crack in the earth's skin ....as per picture.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #5263
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
And I thought I was the only one who let off sometimes for fear of stretching the planet

The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #5264
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlacksmith View Post
590 and 593 are not affected at all.
Even all the rain that fell was not enough to wash all the winter
control sand off of 593 though.
Was through there on monday, and since most of the other routes were washed out, went
across the border instead.
Less moose during the day than at midnight.
The11/17 was closed from Shabaqua way to 590 according to the paper.No shortcut to the border from TransCanada
Old 06-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #5265
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by isplat2 View Post
......in actual fact, this "slip plain failure" as you refer to it was not caused by logging trucks.
A 950 KTM when accelerated hard, with a huge knobby tire....has been know to stretch the skin of the planet ....this "stretched " earth has to compensate somehow....ergo the crack in the earth's skin ....as per picture.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote