Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #5596
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
I had to go up to Scott's driveway to get phone and internet on my Android. I'm sure with a $200 booster like I have in my truck it would work at the camp.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #5597
Oldrookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Cool2 iPhones

Isplat2,
My iPhone (Bell) had reception at your camp. But it was spotty.
Oldrookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isplat2 View Post
Didja get Iphone signals at the camp????
if so...what plan?

a common cell will not work....no bars.

...on that note.....even the knarliest musicians go "unplugged"....they even sing about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #5598
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Check out this guys traveling on a 50cc scooter.

The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #5599
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Check out this guys traveling on a 50cc scooter.

Hope he gets to where ever he is going before summer is over.

All the power to him. He gets to see our country in slow motion. How many of us take the time to see what we are passing.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #5600
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,099
Riding tomorrow...

anyone interested? Thinking about going to Burchell Lake and down below Greenwater area and maybe back across up to Aldina Fire tower.

Leaving around 9am from Lappe and heading backroads to Shabaqua. Anyone is welcome to tag along.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #5601
Oldrookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Cool2 Happy Little Bike

Started the bike today for the first time since May 22.
Gawd it felt and sounded good.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #5602
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Saturday ride...

so me, myself and I met up at my place Saturday morning for a ride. I got geared up and hauled the bike out and jumped on it ready to go, pressed the stater and....nothing Well this is good, I thought...glad no one was sitting there waiting on me

A couple of heavy kick start thrusts and she fired right up I headed into town to get some money and gas, since I had thought this one out properly...then back home to pick up my insurance card and my sunglasses...going well now

Kick the bike over again, since the battery was charging super slowly and off down the road at 9:15am. I figured I'd decided when I got where I was going, if the starter wouldn't start the bike then I wouldn't do any really remote stuff. I headed on the backroads across to Shabaqua and gassed up and then headed out on the only stretch of pavement I would run all day. About 55kms or so from Shabaqua to Burchell Lake road. I was looking for Heart Lake road and I had a picture in my head from last year when I road out there...It didn't look anything like what I remembered There wasn't any sign anymore and it looked like a brand new road...in fact aside from the grader tracks on it, there wasn't another track to be found. I was a little confussed now and looked at the GPS and maps I had and decided that it had to be Heart Lake road. I realized after a bit that the heavy rains we've had this year must have caused enough damage to the road to have to redo it, since there was new cuts nearby.

I believe this is at Clovenhoof Creek

After awhile I turned north up a grown over road that would supposedly take me near an old Fire Tower on the east side of Greenwater Lake. The going was fairly slow, deep grass and low brush continuously covered obstacles and blocked my view. I reached and old gate that was now disused and thought that would be the old Inco Mine gate, so I continued on. Pushing deeper into the bush, It finally started to clear out a bit and the going was easier, then I reached a big beaver dam. I scoped it out and decided to go for it, since the battery on my bike was now charged and was able to start the bike. I made it through along the dam and sure enough...a gate appeared on the other side...end of the line. It was the Inco Mine gate complete with a new "restricted area" sign. So rather than tempt fate, I turned around and pointed my bike at the beaver dam once again I mounted the go pro on my helmet and charged the dam. It was fairly straight forward the first time, so why would it be any different the second time Why is it when you turn on a go pro...you fall over I managed to pick my bike up from the muddy water and proceede to drain the battery trying to fire it back up. Just as the battery was about to die, it started...time to leave!

Dense bush on east side of Greenwater

Old washout

End of the line

I rode out like a mad man to the main road, loosing a mirror in the process. I slammed a wasout fairly hard and my upper body took out the mirror...oh well. I turned east again on the main road and soon made Boreal Road where I decided to check out the Aldina Fire Tower. The old bridge that the 4 wheelers had made to cross a creek was covered in beaver dam and the other end of it hung out over a new washout...great, guess I'll pass this one up also. Even though It looked like a nice easy single track through the creek, I decided it would be best left until I had a riding partner with me. I again headed east and stopped at the road that comes across from Shabaqua. I was going to just ride out and head thru Kakabeka Falls but something in me desired for more gravel road I found that no one had been on this road since the heavy rain last Wednesday, as there was no tracks at all on the road. Dodging a few new washouts, I quickly made Adrian Lake road. They still haven't repaired the huge washout at Adrian yet. I continued on and decided to check out the other end of the road past the turn up to Matawin River. Washout after washout greeted me, some temporarly fixed and some shallow enough to ride thru or around. I finally stopped in a cut over area just past where the old bridge used to access the Trans Canada highway years ago at an old rail siding called Anita. I headed back for the turn off and back up past Matawin Falls where there is now a new sign saying trail closed. I guess they are rerouting the snowmoblies from that section. I headed back over to Shabaqua, gassed up and headed backroads home. 340kms and about 295 of them gravel...not a bad days ride

Washout at Aldina fire tower trail

Washout along the Matawin River road

Hope some riders can join me for my next adventure!!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #5603
qwiky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
have you gone up to the fire tower with your bike? i cross country skied the route from boreal forest road and camped at the top where the fire tower is.
qwiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #5604
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiky View Post
have you gone up to the fire tower with your bike? i cross country skied the route from boreal forest road and camped at the top where the fire tower is.
I'm guessing that your talking about the Aldina Tower up Boreal rd? Rode to it and climbed it, one of the few that still have the bottom ladder. One time we rode in from Whitefish Lake end and right thru past the tower to Boreal rd. I've been to the Conmee (Sunshine) Fire tower also, short but rough route in for a bike. Been to a whole bunch of towers but not to the Greenwater one, guess I'll have to boat into Greenwater and bushwack to the tower sometime.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #5605
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
I'm guessing that your talking about the Aldina Tower up Boreal rd? Rode to it and climbed it, one of the few that still have the bottom ladder. One time we rode in from Whitefish Lake end and right thru past the tower to Boreal rd. I've been to the Conmee (Sunshine) Fire tower also, short but rough route in for a bike. Been to a whole bunch of towers but not to the Greenwater one, guess I'll have to boat into Greenwater and bushwack to the tower sometime.
Rob - sorry I missed this one. I was camping at Sleeping Giant Park all weekend. Thanks for the great report! Any description that mentions fire towers always has me hooked.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #5606
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Rob - sorry I missed this one. I was camping at Sleeping Giant Park all weekend. Thanks for the great report! Any description that mentions fire towers always has me hooked.

Mike
Did you climb the giant? Up on his chest is where an old Fire Tower was at one time. Probably still foundation there.

Tighten up your bolts and we'll do another ride soon! Who wants to be the first and probably last to pose with their bike in front of White Otter
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #5607
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 812
Lappe's ride

Nice report and photo's.
Always great to see what the riding is like in your area.
It'd be great to join in some day with my KLX.
Thanks for posting.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #5608
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
Nice report and photo's.
Always great to see what the riding is like in your area.
It'd be great to join in some day with my KLX.
Thanks for posting.
KLX's are welcome to show up anytime
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #5609
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,005
I want that picture! Bikes in front of White Otter Castle! (sorry I couldn't join you today, had some family stuff to take care of)
Old 07-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #5610
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Did you climb the giant? Up on his chest is where an old Fire Tower was at one time. Probably still foundation there.

Tighten up your bolts and we'll do another ride soon! Who wants to be the first and probably last to pose with their bike in front of White Otter
Hey Rob - climbed the Chimney again and came down the Top of The Giant Trail. About the 5th time I've climbed it in 2 years. It was great. I've been to the top of the Chest trail too. The last time I climbed it was about 20 years ago. At the time you could still see some of the remnants of the tower though - lying in the bush. One other thing that is cool about the top of the giant's chest is that I believe from the top of the chest at 563m (1847ft) down to Lake Superior at 183m (600ft) may very well be the largest continuous vertical drop of any landform in Ontario at 380m (1247ft). Here is what it looks like from one of the lookouts (photo from September 2006).

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote