User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #5701
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Hey Lappeman!

As you are our fire tower expert, have you ever heard of one that you have to get to by boat, across Shebandowan Lake? (There may be a road to it now, turns out that was the one we lived on for a year)

My mother says it was about 1.5 miles in from where the boat docked, had a small cabin at the bottom, with amenities, like a fridge, stove, but no running water. She got the water by pail from what she describes as a small round lake.

When she climbed it, (she was pretty much blind even back then), she says she counted 90 rungs to the top.

She says it was called Conmee Tower, but I remember my Dad on the radio calling in Conmee 2.

Steve and I had an excellent ride into Aldina from the south side...very difficult, because it was raining. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get them from his camera, and permission to post them. I have some pictures, but I think his may be better. We rode back down the north side, to do the whole loop.

Both bikes fell over at points during the day, but zero speed drops, because it was so slippery...I stopped once and the bike was actually sliding backwords with both brakes locked.

Backroader, we may down that way in the cage for the Ely ride.

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 08:37 AM
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #5702
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
As you are our fire tower expert, have you ever heard of one that you have to get to buy boat, across Shebandowan Lake? (There may be a road to it now, turns out that was the one we lived on for a year)

My mother says it was about 1.5 miles in from where the boat docked, had a small cabin at the bottom, with amenities, like a fridge, stove, but no running water. She got the water by pail from what she describes as a small round lake.

When she climbed it, (she was pretty much blind even back then), she says she counted 90 rungs to the top.

She says it was called Conmee Tower, but I remember my Dad on the radio calling in Conmee 2.

Steve and I had an excellent ride into Aldina from the south side...very difficult, because it was raining. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get them from his camera, and permission to post them. I have some pictures, but I think his may be better. We rode back down the north side, to do the whole loop.

Both bikes fell over at points during the day, but zero speed drops, because it was so slippery...I stopped once and the bike was actually sliding backwords with both brakes locked.

Backroader, we may down that way in the cage for the Ely ride.

Hey Ron, that tower is the one I was trying to take the backroads in from below Greenwater Lake. I have to figure out how to by-pass Mine property to get to it. I think a winter snowmachine run is the only way.

Good job on completing the loop, looking forward to your photos.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #5703
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Ron. Are we gonna have some kind of October Fall Run? 1 or 2 day gig to wind up the season and swap some stories?

waddabout the rest of you's? might be a bit chibble by then, specially for tenting.......
Old 09-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #5704
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
I may do a get together at camp on the 22 weekend if I don't go to the hu meeting.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #5705
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Hey Ron, that tower is the one I was trying to take the backroads in from below Greenwater Lake. I have to figure out how to by-pass Mine property to get to it. I think a winter snowmachine run is the only way.

Good job on completing the loop, looking forward to your photos.
Do you know the official name of the tower? Steve and I even talked about a slightly different adventure, canoe in to it.

Kari, we should do an early October ride...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #5706
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Do you know the official name of the tower? Steve and I even talked about a slightly different adventure, canoe in to it.

Kari, we should do an early October ride...
Hey Ron, it's called the "Loch Erne Fire Tower". If you launch from Kashabowie into Shebandowan and head across the Lake, down at the northern most part straight across, there's an old truck right at the start of the road that goes across to Loch Erne (Lake). Now from there I had plans to go to the east end of the lake where the road crosses the creek and then head on the road to the tower...but that's the long way around. There might actually still be a trail past Loch Erne on the west end that heads to the tower...never been that far. The road to Loch Erne is well worn, as it's used for portaging and snowmobiling to Loch Erne for Lake Trout fishing. After that I don't know. Let me know if you plan a trip...I'd like to tag along with you.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #5707
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
I may do a get together at camp on the 22 weekend if I don't go to the hu meeting.

JOKERS of OCTOBER
September Fall Ride
North of Superior
Run For the Sauna
details to follow LOL.........

good chance to try out your cold weather/rain gear
Old 09-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #5708
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Aldina and Tower Mountain

First, thanks to Old Fart At Play,(Steve) for dropping off his camera , and most of the best pictures, and of course, his permission to post them.

In 1959, my family manned one of the fire towers. According to what I found on the internet, there is a woman who claims she was the only female to ever stay on the tower all summer.

That is incorrect, my mother was not only on the tower for a summer, but also blind. Luckily, her recollection is still quite good. She recalls us crossing Shebandowan Lake, getting water from a small round lake, (probably the one that Lappeman is talking about), and bringing me up in a small red wagon.

Food was delivered by a Bell 47 helicopter, but was occasionally bought in by an Otter Aircraft.

The ride in bought a flood of memories, I know I was in to the Aldina Tower before, and believe the "Towermen" talked to each other on the radios, and probably wanted to meet at some point, which is probably why I remember crossing a bridge, and them parking the car in a clearing, which Steve and I rode through.

Ride report, and pictures in a bit....
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #5709
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,742
Quote:
First, thanks to Old Fart At Play,(Steve) for dropping off his camera , and most of the best pictures, and of course, his permission to post them.

In 1959, my family manned one of the fire towers. According to what I found on the internet, there is a woman who claims she was the only female to ever stay on the tower all summer.

That is incorrect, my mother was not only on the tower for a summer, but also blind. Luckily, her recollection is still quite good. She recalls us crossing Shebandowan Lake, getting water from a small round lake, (probably the one that Lappeman is talking about), and bringing me up in a small red wagon.

Food was delivered by a Bell 47 helicopter, but was occasionally bought in by an Otter Aircraft.

The ride in bought a flood of memories, I know I was in to the Aldina Tower before, and believe the "Towermen" talked to each other on the radios, and probably wanted to meet at some point, which is probably why I remember crossing a bridge, and them parking the car in a clearing, which Steve and I rode through.

Great stuff Ron... Reminds me of the rides to the Cameron Falls and Nipigon Area
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #5710
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:

Great story Ron! Looking forward to some photos. Do you have any old Tower photos? We'll have to get to the Loch Erne Tower. The "small round lake" is not Loch Erne but probably the one just below it. There's two ridges there, typically the tower would be on the higher one...but not always. You should be able to see it from Shebandowan or for sure Loch Erne if it's still standing.

They've torn down the Gorham Tower and I see that the Upsula Tower is down too...we're loosing more history everyday
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #5711
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
New Honda Ride impressions.

http://www.advridermag.com/honda-nc7...ride-thoughts/
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #5712
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Great story Ron! Looking forward to some photos. Do you have any old Tower photos? We'll have to get to the Loch Erne Tower. The "small round lake" is not Loch Erne but probably the one just below it. There's two ridges there, typically the tower would be on the higher one...but not always. You should be able to see it from Shebandowan or for sure Loch Erne if it's still standing.

They've torn down the Gorham Tower and I see that the Upsula Tower is down too...we're loosing more history everyday
As far as I'm concerned, the towers should have been left standing, and even maintained as historical places. They were landmarks everyone knew, and in my case, there is a personal history, as well.

My Dad manned fire towers from 1959 until 1962, but we only lived there as a family the first year.

The Towermen weren't allowed to leave the towers, except to go to town, if it was raining, once a month to cash their paycheck. They were usually there from April to October.

My Dad came home in 1962, and I didn't even know who he was. That year, we moved to Renabie. Before that time, you had be a minimum of 150 lbs to work in mines, and up until then he couldn't meet the weight requirement.

Once that was lifted, and he started work in the mine it was a different world.
It was the first time we had running water, and full time electricity. In Kashabowie, we got water from a well, and my Mother would hand crank up an English Electric diesel generator whenever power was needed, then shut it down later...and do these things with very little sight.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #5713
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

The Towermen were required to keep a daily journal, and I would love to get hold of one...especially my Dad's.

Back then, there was a Lands and Forests office somewhere around Shebandowan, not sure if it still exists, or if they kept any archives.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #5714
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

I think in particular, Backroader, Old Fart at Play, Nanabijou, and Lappeman share a fascination for the history of the area.

Steve and I decided to try to get up Tower Mountain...the ride up was fantastic, but it was pissing down rain, so we didn't complete the walk up.

There was a guy and his wife cutting firewood up there, Steve said it was the only four wheeled vehicle he had ever seen there...

Of course, the walk up required a beverage. I think Steve said hold my beer and watch this....

We're still trying to figure this one out...in the middle of nowhere. I thought I heard Banjos.

Steve accused me of doing nasty things to the skeleton. This is a boldfaced lie, as I was unable to ascertain if it was a girl skeleton or not.

Either way, we slowed it down, in case the road washed out, or a bridge was missing. (On the last ride with Lappeman and Nanabijou, we came across a huge washout, luckily Lappeman was riding out front and warned us)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #5715
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

We rode down from Tower Mountain and back to the Boreal Road, we had been to Aldina from the north side, however the south side would prove to be a bit more difficult, with all the rain, fogged up glasses and visors, slippery leaf covered surfaces, and inclines, logs and rocks across the trail.

This was the crossing on the way in to Aldina from the south.