Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #5791
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 7,989
I'm not terribly fond of Kenda 270's and find them too squirmy. I think everyone has a tire of some kind they don't like...

On the other hand, I really like the TKC80, as well as the Metzeler Saharas which I'm running on the Beemer.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #5792
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,073
Great Shots CanuckAME! Thanks! You up for another ride this coming weekend? Anyone else also?

Thinking of running up in behind Kawene between Sapawe and Quetico. Bunch of old bush roads up there, also 30' falls and maybe and old fire tower...if we're lucky

Weather looks better for Sunday...maybe
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #5793
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Great Shots CanuckAME! Thanks! You up for another ride this coming weekend? Anyone else also?

Thinking of running up in behind Kawene between Sapawe and Quetico. Bunch of old bush roads up there, also 30' falls and maybe and old fire tower...if we're lucky

Rob...watch for the 30 foot falls...that will hurt like hell...

And to your question of the other day...we will be in Moab aorund November 01 for a week.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #5794
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post

Sunday should work. Did you get a new battery?
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #5795
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Rob...watch for the 30 foot falls...that will hurt like hell...

And to your question of the other day...we will be in Moab aorund November 01 for a week.

Thanks BackRoader...I'll keep watch

Working 60' up standing on 1.5" pieces of fibreglass girders today...good practice things we do to support our bad habits...like dualsporting
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #5796
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post
Sunday should work. Did you get a new battery?

New battery can wait until next spring. I know the problem now, so it will be on the charger all night until I go to start it for a ride. Seems to stay charged when riding at least.

Supposed to go down below zero tonight so lets hope Saturday night won't do that and we can start early. We'll have to make up a route to get there that breaks up the blacktop a bit. Let me know if you come up with something.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #5797
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
enjoying all the posts about the firetowers etc. Thanks for taking the time to put them up.

got a chuckle out of that Ron, you didnt mind your bike fell over, it was the fact that your beer got spilled!

I might pop into the city Saturday, and ride back Sunday, maybe with you's towards the Sapawe roads. If I decide to do it I will post or call Chuck or Rob. My bro and his friend are hosting a backyard bonfire motorcycle gathering Sat night in the city.So maybe we will see you jokers on the weekend.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 09:45 AM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #5798
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
enjoying all the posts about the firetowers etc. Thanks for taking the time to put them up.

got a chuckle out of that Ron, you didnt mind your bike fell over, it was the fact that your beer got spilled!

I might pop into the city Saturday, and ride back Sunday, maybe with you's towards the Sapawe roads. If I decide to do it I will post or call Chuck or Rob. My bro and his friend are hosting a backyard bonfire motorcycle gathering Sat night in the city.So maybe we will see you jokers on the weekend.

Your welcome to join us Hektoglider. Have you been up in-behind Kawene? Do you know if that road joins or comes close to joining onto Brule road. Backroads book shows small road off Brule within 150 meters of the Kawene road. Also looks like Brule road joins up with Seine River Road to come out at the Graham road turnoff.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #5799
Hektoglider
One with Life

its been a while. Theres a nice road from the top of French Lake Hill, goes behind Kawene, out to Sapawe via Blalock I guess. I have not been through there and I dont believe you can go from the Brule road out to Sapawe roads. But I have not explored that area much. Maybe there is a way now.
Any routes beginning to form for the ride? Sounds like you are trying to stay north of Hwy11...

the super high winds from a week or 2 ago have put down some timber, We had to coax the KLR around several large limby redpines down across the road on our exped yesterday.Came home with a sack of nice fall lakers.

some of those roads may be winter roads(muskeg etc)on backroad book....lotsa low ground in behind Brule

Hektoglider screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 10:13 AM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #5800
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Just some stuff

Rob, I have an almost new battery you can have if it's any used to you...
Number is 12n9-4b-1 ,dimensions are 5 1/4 by 2 3/4 by 5 1/2 high....I used as a temporary battery in one of the other bikes last year, but it's sitting here on a tender, and I have no use for it. (it's not a maintenance free one)

Kari, not sure if I can make a get-together, lots of family stuff this weekend.

Steve, when you pick up you camera, it turns out the charger for the camera I lost on the ride with Rob and Mike is the correct one for yours....that way you can throw one in your Tailbag, and leave the othe at home.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #5801
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
its been a while. Theres a nice road from the top of French Lake Hill, goes behind Kawene, out to Sapawe via Blalock I guess. I have not been through there and I dont believe you can go from the Brule road out to Sapawe roads. But I have not explored that area much. Maybe there is a way now.
Any routes beginning to form for the ride? Sounds like you are trying to stay north of Hwy11...

the super high winds from a week or 2 ago have put down some timber, We had to coax the KLR around several large limby redpines down across the road on our exped yesterday.Came home with a sack of nice fall lakers.

some of those roads may be winter roads(muskeg etc)on backroad book....lotsa low ground in behind Brule

Ya, thinking of coming across south of 11 taking dirt all the way to where Fortes rd meets 11 (depending on time). Gas up a Quetico North. Then stay north of 11 and maybe see the falls at the west end of Crooked Pine...if we can get to them or just try and get to where the old Fire Tower was behind Kawene. Then try to hook up with Brule...if unsuccessful, then head out the road that comes out near Quetico park entrance. Run down to Brule (anything interesting at Owakonze?) and try and link up to Graham...depending on time and gas, run the rail line back across to Tbay...or someone else may have a better idea or know of interesting sites? Mines, towers, buildings, etc.? Fortunatly water levels are way down and that has enabled us to get thru some stuff that otherwise would be impassible.

Have you tried to get to the Sapawe Gold Mine? Last time I was in there, they were setting up to mine the area again and had blocked one road in but not the road further east, so I don't know if they were blocking traffic into the new site or trying to include the old Mill site?
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #5802
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

[QUOTE=ZZR_Ron;19631061]Rob, I have an almost new battery you can have if it's any used to you...
Number is 12n9-4b-1 ,dimensions are 5 1/4 by 2 3/4 by 5 1/2 high....I used as a temporary battery in one of the other bikes last year, but it's sitting here on a tender, and I have no use for it. (it's not a maintenance free one)

QUOTE]

Hey Ron, I'll check the size when I go back out to the garage. Thanks! You coming out for a ride on Sunday?
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #5803
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

I have a family event on Sunday, so can't make it.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #5804
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
I have a family event on Sunday, so can't make it.

No problem.

Battery is different size by quite a bit so it won't work. Thanks for the offer Ron.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #5805
Hektoglider
One with Life

I havent been down to Owakanze either. From my limited knowledge, the Brule road doesnt exit to any other roads. It may have changed though, but I think the roads in the mapbook are winter roads that you see going out north.

Water levels are down, this bit of rain wont bring them up much.

When the old sun starts to go down in the afternoon, it sure falls out of the sky and by 7pm its dark.

Did some work on the bike today. Got a real nasty MX tire installed up front.

Still no for sure plan yet. The Tower Mtn road from Whitefish/Gravel lakes out to Fortes is a good run. Might try that on the way west.

The riding CanuckAme showed me a few years back around the tunnel was ok stuff. Got a few days to figure something out.