Lappeman sent you a PM

canuckAME screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 06:18 PM
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #5867
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 1,958
Minus 7.3c...is that all

Yep, that was the temp outside as I got my bike out to go for a nice fall ride. Rob and canuckAME pulled into my driveway as I started up my bike. It fired right up...I like when it does that

The sun had come out and things were warming up rather nicely. It was around plus 4c as we sat in the driveway wondering where to go. Nobody really had a plan this time and we would just wing it. How about we start with a place we called Killer Hill, I said. Up Hilldale and down the pipe line, down the hill and across the river...no biggy I thought. Last time I was on there was about 2 years ago with my CR 250. We went down and then back up it, since the river was higher and very rocky. The trail was nice and not too hard and this time the water levels were so low that the river would not be a problem So we headed out and soon we were at the top of Killer Hill. Something was different...I started down the hill and things looked very different. No trail, no trees...the whole pipeline had been cut back and the hill was now a mass of loose rocks As I bounced from slimmy loose rock to slimmy loose rock, I thought, this is just like the Colorado Passes...I smiled

At the top of "Killer Hill"

Reaching the bottom, I quickly grabbed my camera to record the downhill runs of Rob and canuckAME. I snapped a quick shot of Rob who was doing pretty good in the rocks. Suddenly he went down and as I tried to snap another shot of him, my batteries died...no photo. I yelled up to him to see if he was alright and he replied that his leg was stuck under the 650. I climbed up and we righted the bike and he continued down. canuckAME looked like a pro bouncing and weaving his was down the steep rocks. At the bottom he said, I hope we don't have to go back up that way

Rob working his way down Killer Hill

canuckAME on the top section of the hill

We continued on to the River crossing and as I approached I saw that the big rocks had been cleared from the river and that there was about a foot and a half of water running. At least it should be a fairly straight forward crossing. As before, I headed across and grabbed the camera, which now had new batteries in it. Rob headed in first and looked pretty good until right at the end, he fell over....Shit? Actually, it was a little more stronger words Ah crap, I thought...the ride's over and the poor guy has to ride home wet. I snapped a quick shot and then helped him upright the bike, getting my feet soaked at the same time. He was soaked up his whole side but seemed happier than I thought he'd be. I'll air dry, was his reply canuckAME scoped out the now muddy water and headed across. Rob wanted to ride on, being that it was sunny and warming up, he would dry out. My feet weren't that bad so we continued on.

The river crossing

Oh Shit

canuckAME crossing the river

We crossed over to Compressor Station road and headed up Hwy 527 to Magone road. From there we were to head up and across to Escape lake road. It took a couple of tries at the end of Magone, one leading down a single track to just short of a lake where we turned around to try another way. Finally we found the road across and were on Escape. The Greenwich Wind Farm turbines came into view and we decided to head that way. Working our way across to Greenwich, we ended up at Turbine WTG4. I took some shots of it and said we should check out Ogema Mine. Neither Rob nor canuckAME knew of the this mine so we planned a visit. It was right on the road anyway. A short hike took us up to this mine that was founded in 1890 (thanks to canuckAME for finding info on this mine). We explored a bit and then I asked if they had seen the bat cave and the mine near it. canuckAME thought he had been there was back when he was in public school. So, off we headed. We made a short detour up to the Antenna above Eagle Canyon, where we enjoyed the nice view from high up. You can see black Bay and it's surrounding shores from there. Back down and across to the Dorion Cutoff and up the road to the old Mine. Fortunatly the water cross on this road was almost dried up and nobody had any problems there. We checked out the old 1902 lead and zinc mine that was called the Dorion Mine. Then hiked over to the top of the cliffs at Cavern Lake. A quick jaunt down to see the bat cave entrance and then back up and back to the bikes.

End of Magone Road

Greenwich Wind Farm from Escape Lake road

At the Turbines

Closeup

From one Turbine looking out at several more

Ogema Mine ruins

Old dump bucket at Ogema

Climbing the tailings pile

An old Mine rail that has "Algoma Canada 1916" on it

View from up above Eagle Canyon across to Black Bay

Rob making the stream crossing to Dorion Mine

canuckAME doing the same

Dorion Mine at Cavern Lake

Lappeman on Cavern Lake cliffs

Looking down at the Bat Cave

By this time I was soaking wet from sweating and the clouds had moved in and the temperature dropped. We motored across the Cutoff and over to Hwy 527 where it started to drizzle. By now I was starting to get chilled but we still had a longway to go. Across Monday Lake road and down Dog Lake Road was a chilly ride, so I was glad to finally arrive home. I waved as Rob and cunuckAME whizzed by. Thanks again for the great ride guys!!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 11:22 AM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #5868
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,274
Rob, looks like you were trying to kill the old guys....

I would like to go into the old mine, on the short list for next year...hope you are available to guide a run in there.

Good write up by the way, excellent !!!!
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #5869
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Rob, looks like you were trying to kill the old guys....

I would like to go into the old mine, on the short list for next year...hope you are available to guide a run in there.

Good write up by the way, excellent !!!!

Thanks BackRoader! Brush up on your KLX400 skills in Utah and we'll take you in next year
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #5870
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,697
Great write up. Nice to have a group of equally adventurous riders.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #5871
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Great write up. Nice to have a group of equally adventurous riders.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2

Your right FINNDIAN, it's tough to get a group together with the same experience and lust for adventure. I guess there's many different levels of Adventure also. Ours is sometimes pretty extreme

Forgot to mention in my writeup that my front tire was going flat on the blast home. I was feeling every little rock as it smashed the tire against the rim and when I checked this morning, it was fully flat. More maintenance...
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #5872
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 733
Looks like you guys had a great ride. Very envious.
Great pictures and write-up. I always enjoy seeing the areas you guys ride there.
Thanks for posting.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #5873
Hektoglider
Expedition Style ADV

Oddometer: 2,492
thanks for posting. I tried finding that bat cave 6 years ago and never did see it.

I went for a short spin today through the Steep Rock, riding some new single track routes, and also some of the stuff we did on the second 1st IceBreaker route. Probably not as nasty as what you's did, but I cased my skidplate pretty good going over the barricade.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #5874
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 7,915
Good stuff! And some great pics...
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #5875
isplat2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Good fall color run!
Thanks for the entertaining write-up.
isplat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #5876
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
More shots from recent rides. Last week Kevin and I went down towards the border on the Arrow River Road. Cruised down some of our many backroads to get there. The fall colours were at their peak. By the end of the week the leaves were pretty well gone.

The colours were spectacular

Kevin on his DR

It was a beautiful day. Temperature got up to +18c

The Arrow River Rd parallels the Canada/ US border for about 15km. There are side roads that head over the ridge and put you within 100 meters of the border. Just some bush and maybe a creek seperate the two.

It was a great day for just cruising the backroads.

Checked the GPS while stopped for a break. The USA is about 150 meteres south of us. On this trail we saw about 30 grouse in about 10km. A few that flushed up by the bikes caused a very rapid increase in the heartbeat.

Always a good sign to see

This area is as close to riding in the mountains as we get around here.

Heading towards the Twin Peaks road.

From up top you can see a long way. That's Whitefish Lake in the distance.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #5877
Hektoglider
Expedition Style ADV

Oddometer: 2,492
Great shots, the fall riding has been good(not enough though)

some shots from the last couple weeks

running the uno Grande into a secret fishing hole......

installing a fresh "engine maintenance,oil control napkin" for the ride back

nice fall colours on 622

a friend takes his '36 to the height of land.....

pretty cool old bike, starts first kick, runs great.

Monday mine tour.......

the old open pit is getting pretty full of water now,......

sent via clackety-clak off my clapped-out old laptop......

Hektoglider screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 06:23 AM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #5878
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
From last weeks ride in nice balmy conditions it was a bit of a shock to get up to Lappemans report of -7c at his place. Delayed things a bit to let it warm up. I think it was around +4c when we headed out. All the small ponds had a good skim of ice on them.

Things got off to an interesting start with the " Killer Hill ". I've been up and down it on a snowmobile but not on the bike. The first descent wasn't bad but then you drop over a ridge to a sight of very sharp ugly looking loose rock. I think there will be lots of shredded sled tracks from climbing this this winter.

Lappeman heading up from the creek. After Rob dumped his bike and got wet I thought the ride was over as wet and +4 is not so good. He said he'd air dry and off we went. He's a tough bugger and at 65 is not slowing down.

Rob and I had on orange vests to convince hunters that we weren't moose riding motorcycles

Took a wrong turn trying to join 2 roads.

Lappeman on his KTM didn't need a vest for visibility

We rode into the Grenwich wind farm. The wind turbines are huge.

Lappeman asked if we'd ever been to the Ogema mine. Neither Rob or I had so it was time to do a little exploring. Turns out it was just down the road. We've driven by it many times not knowing it's there.

Looking down the tailings pile towards where the mill was.

This would have been the view in 1927

Old ore bucket.

The old mine shaft.

AdvRiders go mining

From the old mine we headed to Dorion and up to a lookout near a communication tower. You can see Black Bay in the distance.

From there Lappeman led us to Cavern Lake for more history. There was another old mine here as well as the Bat Caves.

Old mine shaft

From the old mine it was a good hike to the Bat Caves. It helped to warm us up walking in all our gear. This is cavern lake.

You hike down a cliff and follow it down to the cave. This is the cave entrance.

Adventure Explorers

What goes down must come up.

It was getting late in the day by now so it was a good high speed cruise up the Dorion cut off and across Monday lake road and back into town. It rained a bit so by the time I got home it was getting pretty cool.

Great ride an history lesson to boot. Thanks Lappeman and Rob. Doing a bit of research on the Ogema Mine I discovered that some of my wifes relatives had worked at the mine in 1927.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #5879
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 914
Good stuff guys!

Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #5880
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Super shots from both canuckAME and Hekto. Fall riding is very spectacular...just wish it was warmer

Sicker than hell yesterday and today...good old fall cold going around I guess
2007 YZ250F Blue Death