Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #5986
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Wow, great ride report!

I've been invited to Moab in March '13 and originally declined (I don't have that much time off to 'blow it all' on one trip) but now you've got me reconsidering my decision.
Hey Bungie4 - we need a review of your new 2013 CRF250L. What are your thoughts? How does it compare to the CBR250R in terms of power, handling, and fuel-economy? This might be THE bike for those interested in getting their start in adventure riding.....on-the-cheap!!!

Mike
Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #5987
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Hey Bungie4 - we need a review of your new 2013 CRF250L. What are your thoughts? How does it compare to the CBR250R in terms of power, handling, and fuel-economy? This might be THE bike for those interested in getting their start in adventure riding.....on-the-cheap!!!
Hey Mike!

I've still got the CBR - though its been for sale since August. I've had a bunch of buyers but all the sales fell through at the last moment. No big deal, just more of a PIA than anything.

As for the CRFL. Power much more bottom end/mid range than the CBR, some of which is gearing. Though it could stand to lose a tooth on primary side for offroad work. Handling is stupid quick compared to the CBR. Blame the 21" front tire that reacts quickly when leaned over. The bike does 'hunt' a bit at hwy speeds. Blame the tires for that. Nothing dangerous, but it is noticeable. The tires are a good compromise, but get noisy over 60km/h but that's to be expected. Fuel economy is a little less than the CBR, but then again, I don't think I've run a full tank through it without taking the bike offroad at some point. Seems to be between 120-180km/per tank. With the low being a fun ride down the Seguin trail to Sprucedale and back.

The bike is reasonably well engineered but you can tell here and there it was built to a price point. (Some cheap components/fasteners). It seems to take a fall in stride pretty well

Offroad the bike *REALLY* needs a better rear shock. When pressed even moderately hard the ass end will make it's displeasure felt bottoming out and kicking it around wildly. Oddly enough, the front is pretty good out of the box. Brakes are fine offroad but marginal on road.

For the price, a decent *TRAIL* bike Hardcore stuff you'd be better off with a better weapon. But that's not my intended purpose for the bike. I just wanted to get back to exploring some of the gravel/fire roads in the area. I've got about 2KM on it since August.

Mods so far were some basic dirt prep (loosening the lever mounts etc), removing the strap from the seat (you tend to sit right on it) and some barkbusters. I've got a Seat Concepts seat sitting here waiting to be installed (the stock seat for road use is atrocious - big surprise there) and I've just ordered a manrack this evening. Going to mount a Rotopax for giz.

Oh ya, the passenger pegs. I don't know who designed that but they should be shot. I went to remove them only to find removal of the retaining pin requires taking half the ass end of the bike apart. WTF! Their still on there

Fun bike and reasonably capable. Maybe I'll get adventurous in the spring and ride it up your way. 'Cept this time I'll actually call ahead of time and make some arrangements LOL!

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #5988
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
It sure looks like that, Dave...it has been a delight to see the photos, no matter who posted them...I was just havin' fun...I am sooooooooo jealous...
The ride report from people we know, has definitely made this Fall more tolerable.

I'm a bit surprised by the temperatures, didn't think it would be so warm there this time of year.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #5989
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,104
Moab - Heading home....

Well, I'm heading back into the misserable cold and wet Was awaken by BackRoader's snoring last night at 10:30pm. He saved the best for the last night! Ear plugs were no match this time and short of kicking him, nothing stopped it. So, since I wasn't going to get any sleep, I figured I might as well be driving. So I packed up and left the room and was on the road at 11pm. BackRoader didn't even stir

I made just north of Des Moines Iowa...18hours of driving...well I took 2 short 20 minute naps along the way. Glad I got that long drive out of the way. Tomorrow I only have 920kms to go...should be home after dinner

End of a great trip...sad to leave
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #5990
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Well, I'm heading back into the misserable cold and wet Was awaken by BackRoader's snoring last night at 10:30pm. He saved the best for the last night! Ear plugs were no match this time and short of kicking him, nothing stopped it. So, since I wasn't going to get any sleep, I figured I might as well be driving. So I packed up and left the room and was on the road at 11pm. BackRoader didn't even stir

I made just north of Des Moines Iowa...18hours of driving...well I took 2 short 20 minute naps along the way. Glad I got that long drive out of the way. Tomorrow I only have 920kms to go...should be home after dinner

End of a great trip...sad to leave
Great work Rob! You've done us proud!! Hope you have an enjoyable and safe ride back to the land of the Nor'Westers.....

Mike
Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #5991
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
when its time to go, its time to go

Looks like your getting a lot of good rides out of the KTM, Lappeman. I thought you were crazy to sell your KLR, but now after seeing your Colorado pics, and the Moab stuff, you would not be able to ride that extreme if it were not for the more task specific bike.

Thanks to all the Moab crew for taking the time to share the ride photos.

Todays NWO ride photo

Grey skies, no color, cool temps and moisture. Just hearing the motor thumping along......I have good gear.Gloves, heated vest, may as well enjoy it. Never got cold even on the highway, I felt like really going for a long ride, but only 50kms or so.

scored another day on the riding season. Got pretty dirty though. I wash it after every dirty run, as it may be parked any day now.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 04:35 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #5992
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
when its time to go, its time to go

Looks like your getting a lot of good rides out of the KTM, Lappeman. I thought you were crazy to sell your KLR, but now after seeing your Colorado pics, and the Moab stuff, you would not be able to ride that extreme if it were not for the more task specific bike.

Thanks to all the Moab crew for taking the time to share the ride photos.

Todays NWO ride photo

Grey skies, no color, cool temps and moisture. Just hearing the motor thumping along......

scored another day on the riding season. Got pretty dirty though. I wash it after every dirty run, as it may be parked any day now.

Ya, the KLR would've held me back big time! Your photo looks better with no white stuff in it
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #5993
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,574
[QUOTE Was awaken by BackRoader's snoring last night at 10:30pm. He saved the best for the last night! Ear plugs were no match this time and short of kicking him, nothing stopped it. So, since I wasn't going to get any sleep, I figured I might as well be driving. So I packed up and left the room and was on the road at 11pm. BackRoader didn't even stir QUOTE]

Hey, pay back is a bitch, aint it !!!!!

I woke up about 12:30.... I thought we had been robbed, just about everything in the room was gone. lol
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #5994
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Moab...until next time...

Back in Hell

I'd like to thank the Winnipeg guys for inviting me along on their Moab Adventure and making it a great trip!!

Moab 2012
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 04:32 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #5995
Hektoglider
One with Life

Quote:
Back in Hell

hey! its not froze over.....(yet)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #5996
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Photobucket...

They changed Photobucket around and now I can't access the link to post the photos. It blacks them out when I try to copy the link to post on this site.

Anyone know what I have to change to copy the link to post?

Thanks
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #5997
Hektoglider
One with Life

Quote:
They changed Photobucket around and now I can't access the link to post the photos. It blacks them out when I try to copy the link to post on this site.

Anyone know what I have to change to copy the link to post?

Thanks

direct link

from your site

nice photos...looks like you had a great run
Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #5998
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Hey Hekto, thanks. I still am having trouble accessing the link, so I just changed the website back to original format. Maybe I'll figure out the new site later.

What else would you do in Moab after a long hard day of riding...eat fresh chocolate chip cookies and drink beer of course

2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #5999
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 812
Moab

It was great to meet and ride with you Rob.
We are back in the Peg. Not used to the cold temps and cloud covered sky.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #6000
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,574
Hey Rob, glad we were able to hook up. Lots of great stories and photos to post over the next few months. Looking forward to next riding season... Maybe the green will turn orange!!!
I am not very brand loyal!!!!