Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #6616
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
We're getting a strange winter here in southern Minnesota again...no real severe cold, and there's almost no snow.
We are heading through Minneapolis on Monday enroute to Oklahoma City!!! Should we be looking out for you?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #6617
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 7,989
Nice to see you and Janice today!

Got Old Fart at Play visiting tomorrow...nice little breaks in my day.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #6618
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
We are heading through Minneapolis on Monday enroute to Oklahoma City!!! Should we be looking out for you?

Stop in if you want a lay-over. I'll be stuck at work, though. There's a thaw in the forecast for tomorrow, so it should be easy traveling this far south.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #6619
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Stop in if you want a lay-over. I'll be stuck at work, though. There's a thaw in the forecast for tomorrow, so it should be easy traveling this far south.
Thanks for the offer Klay, we are going to try to make Otto DesMoines tonight.

Just have to pick up another jug of window washer fluid, going through that almost as fast as gas .... Lol
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #6620
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,073
Sled parts arrived today, thanks FINNDIAN! Going outside to put them on. Foggy and zero out here right now, supposed to snow 10cm tonight, maybe go for a ride tomorrow...or am I jinxing myself
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #6621
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Happy wintertime ! ( doesn't apply to us ) you's would not believe the riding we are doing. The roads down here in Veracruz ! It's hard to hit top gear , so many curves. I can say that we have hit some rural roads with views and curves that make you crave for a straight so you can take 5
Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #6622
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Looks like fun Hekto, wish I was there...or somewhere with no winter
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #6623
qwiky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
hey was wondering if anyone in the Tbay area has a chain rivet tool i could borrow? i've gotta take a few links out of my chain for my new sprockets (also have no easy way to get it to excalibur) just wonderin, could buy you coffee
qwiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #6624
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiky View Post
hey was wondering if anyone in the Tbay area has a chain rivet tool i could borrow? i've gotta take a few links out of my chain for my new sprockets (also have no easy way to get it to excalibur) just wonderin, could buy you coffee
Don't have a chain rivet tool Qwiky, usualy if I have to cut links out I just use a master link. You gearing that thing for speed or wheelies How's the 330 kit working for ya? Depending on my sprocket combo on the Ktm's, I can get away with just turning the adjustment blocks.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #6625
tedmarshall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Map source for Ontario/Lake Superior region

I'm planning to do a circle route come summer. Would like to take as many unpaved routes that the trip would allow. Particularly interested in the Sleeping Giant area and the chain of peninsulae (that a word?) and islands that curve up past Nipigon Bay. Wonder if there's ferries or boats that could get me and my KTM 990 from one to other. Maybe it's a pipe dream but then what else is there to do this time of year?

Also, the big bulge of land occupied by Pukaskwa NP. Are there roads closer to the water than 17?

And I'd really like to go to Michipicoten but might be too much of a hassle and $$.

Just the hopes of a Chicago guy who hasn't seen the area since 1971.

Thanks.

Ted Marshall
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #6626
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Go see Crisp Point lighthouse in the Michigan side. Dig up Cannontracks GPS data. There's some cool places up in Copper Harbour area. Too bad JackFish Ghost Town burnt. A cool stop on the route.

Getting out to those islands ! Hmmm
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #6627
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall View Post
I'm planning to do a circle route come summer. Would like to take as many unpaved routes that the trip would allow. Particularly interested in the Sleeping Giant area and the chain of peninsulae (that a word?) and islands that curve up past Nipigon Bay. Wonder if there's ferries or boats that could get me and my KTM 990 from one to other. Maybe it's a pipe dream but then what else is there to do this time of year?

Also, the big bulge of land occupied by Pukaskwa NP. Are there roads closer to the water than 17?

And I'd really like to go to Michipicoten but might be too much of a hassle and $$.

Just the hopes of a Chicago guy who hasn't seen the area since 1971.

Thanks.

Ted Marshall
Pretty much a pipe dream, I'm affraid

Sleeping giant area (Sibley Peninsula) is a nice ride but it's an hour out and an hour back, no Peninsula or island hopping there. There's the Thunder Bay Lookout, a nice side trip off the Sibley road and on the way back you can hit the dirt roads at Pass lake and come out to hwy 17 at Pearl. Most dirt roads run north/south from Hwy 17 to 11. No roads into Puckaswa that will get you closer to the water aside from the main in and out past Heron Bay. No ferries to island hop. Michipicoten Harbour is interesting and you might be able to hire a fish tug to get you to Michipicoten island but like you say $$.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #6628
qwiky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Don't have a chain rivet tool Qwiky, usualy if I have to cut links out I just use a master link. You gearing that thing for speed or wheelies How's the 330 kit working for ya? Depending on my sprocket combo on the Ktm's, I can get away with just turning the adjustment blocks.
my friend is the one with the klx330 i'm the one who now has to keep up.. haha, i can BARELY run the stock chain with the blocks set to full length (chain is just a little too sloppy) im tempted to get a new chain, any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #6629
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiky View Post
my friend is the one with the klx330 i'm the one who now has to keep up.. haha, i can BARELY run the stock chain with the blocks set to full length (chain is just a little too sloppy) im tempted to get a new chain, any suggestions?
When you say sloppy, I take it you mean in length not sideways? It all depends on the condition and age of the chain and if the sprockets are wearing at all. If it's too long, is it because it's stretched or because you changed the sprocket sizes? If you replace one because of wear, it's always best to replace them all. If everything is still decent you can just use a small grinder and grind the head off the rivots and take a link or two out depending on what you need. Then put on a new master link for the chain.

So it's the Hooligan that has the KLX?
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #6630
qwiky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
When you say sloppy, I take it you mean in length not sideways? It all depends on the condition and age of the chain and if the sprockets are wearing at all. If it's too long, is it because it's stretched or because you changed the sprocket sizes? If you replace one because of wear, it's always best to replace them all. If everything is still decent you can just use a small grinder and grind the head off the rivots and take a link or two out depending on what you need. Then put on a new master link for the chain.

So it's the Hooligan that has the KLX?
its the old chain, i'm thinking i might aswell get a new one, start fresh for the new sprockets, yep thats him you might see us around this summer on supermotos, both of us with cameras strapped to our helmets