Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #7141
BigDaddy
no stinking title

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post
took one of the TWINS out for 100klm loop around thunder bay today. it was warm enough to ride longer but i had only 2 hours max, and i stopped at EXCALIBUR for A FEW MINUTES
hope to do the same run on Friday on the KTM.
i hope some of you got out for a ride today.
I'M READY FOR THE ICEBREAKER

NORTH RIDER
Glad to see you are back on the horse Feliz!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #7142
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,796
Woo hoo. Got the 1969 Honda Trail 90 running. I bought it as a basket case in December to work on this winter. Its alive, but still too much snow to ride. Riding the length of my driveway confirmed the motor is now strong and the transmission and auto clutch works. I had one of these back in the 60's and remember how much fun and durable they were. They are still popular today and lots of guys are fixing up these go-anywhere bikes. I hope to see my grand daughter ride it some day.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #7143
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 792
Boating card

Getting the boating card was no big deal to me. Have had it for years.
There should be some sort of accountability for all the yahoo's on PWC's and wakeboard boats.
I too grew up in boats but still got one.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #7144
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Woo hoo. Got the 1969 Honda Trail 90 running. I bought it as a basket case in December to work on this winter. Its alive, but still too much snow to ride. Riding the length of my driveway confirmed the motor is now strong and the transmission and auto clutch works. I had one of these back in the 60's and remember how much fun and durable they were. They are still popular today and lots of guys are fixing up these go-anywhere bikes. I hope to see my grand daughter ride it some day.

Looks good, Rick!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #7145
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Quote:

Now THAT will look great fastened to the floats! Kind of the perfect take along, go anywhere personal transportation!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #7146
Scooter59
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
The orange cool aid effect must be making the coming of summer seem even slower .

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
It is so Gord, only my cool aid is black, black, black.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #7147
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Now THAT will look great fastened to the floats! Kind of the perfect take along, go anywhere personal transportation!
Lyle
Bingo! Great minds think alike. It only weighs about 180 lb. and it will burn avgas.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #7148
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:

That's a beauty Rick, I was going to buy an orange one last year. Sweet old rides
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #7149
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Woo hoo. Got the 1969 Honda Trail 90 running. I bought it as a basket case in December to work on this winter.
Sweet! Their was a guy near Blind River selling two of them, one running, the other a good parts bike for $600 for both about a year ago. I came so close to buying them...

Check out this guys kickstarter project, riding a basketcase C90 from Malaysia to the UK.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...vie-by-ed-marc

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #7150
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
A friend of mine has a Trail Nine-0. It's in perfect condition with the high low transmission. Big rack behind the seat. Are you really gonna strap it on to the plane? I saw 5 minty ones all in a row at Sport Wheels on 169S ( where Backroader needs to go see cool stuff )

Hektoglider screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 05:11 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #7151
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Supposed to +9 here today...I'm going out to visit my bikes for a bit...
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #7152
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Went for a ride yesterday on my 2011 CBR150R. First ride with the Thai CBR150R engine in my 2011 CBR125R chassis. I'd been waiting since October 2012 to take this thing out. The temp display on my car said 8C. Good enough for me.

Headed out on my usual run along Lakeshore Drive out to Wild Goose Beach. The bike felt great. Noticeably more power across the rev range compared to the CBR125R. And the sound is more throaty than its little brother too. It sounds great. With the 150R, you had better like the sound of a small displacement 4-valve single at high rpm - because that's where the tach will be sitting most of the time. Good thing it's relatively smooth when you wind it out. The road into Wild Goose was snow covered in places. But at around 300lbs wet, the bike is reasonably lightweight and easy to handle - apparently even through snow and ice.

You can see the remnants of our recent winter tale here. The snow is now melting fast (finally), but we got dumped on several times toward the end of the season.

It certainly doesn't look like good riding weather. But at no time was I ever cold. After a couple of hours - I was still cozy in my gear. The photo below is the beach parking lot.

And here is the Sleeping Giant and umm....the beach. You can see a section of an ice-racing track to the left.

I like comparing the same photo at different times of year. The contrast of seasons is pretty remarkable. The photo below was taken in July 2012. If you look closely, you can see people swimming in the cool waters of Lake Superior below. Hard to image this scene from the photo above.

Here's a closer look at the Giant. If you are wondering whether the Giant has somehow been decapitated, check out the other photos below that better capture the Giant in full glory.

From there I continued along Lakeshore and then took the Trans-Canada back to Thunder Bay so I could test the highway capability of the 150R. Overall - it did fine. However, I was facing a pretty severe headwind and found myself frequently dropping it from 6th (7800 rpm @ 100km/hr) to 5th (9000 rpm @100km/hr) in order to continue riding at my 100km/hr (GPS) goal. After taking some time to peruse the useful online Gearing Commander site, I think I might go with one less tooth on the countershaft sprocket. This would put me at 8400 rpm in 6th @ 100km/hr - right near the bike's torque peak at 8500 rpm. My older 2009 125R with this 150R engine ran similar lower gearing, and I think I like the extra jump the lower gearing gives me in the city, and I'm more satisfied with the way it works on the highway too. I also stopped at the Terry Fox Lookout too for a quick break and a few more photos.

Here is another gratuitous shot of the 150R (the wolf) in 125R (sheep's)clothing...

From there I visited the Bluffs overlooking the Current River for yet another view of the Giant. I didn't expect to see so many others enjoying the views and milder temps.....while pensively sucking back on some thinly rolled, sweet smelling...ummm... cigarettes.

I thought I'd stop by Hillcrest Park as well to take yet another shot of the Sleeping Giant. On the way there while waiting at a stop, a young guy drove by in a pickup and with the window rolled down yelled what sounded like "Nice Mike!" but I think it was "Nice bike!" Either way - I think the colours look pretty striking.

Here is another contrasting shot taken in June from a similar spot. You can barely see the outline of the Giant in the background.

I took one more photo before heading toward Oliver Road and onto the expressway. I wanted to stretch the 150Rs legs a bit.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 09:48 AM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #7153
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Mike, that CBR looks pretty sick! I'll be watching for you in my mirrors in Thunder Bay, for sure. Thanks for the pics.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #7154
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Mike, that CBR looks pretty sick! I'll be watching for you in my mirrors in Thunder Bay, for sure. Thanks for the pics.
Lyle
Hey Lyle - many on the CBR125R forum love their CBR125Rs. However, they also feel that Honda's CBR150R is really the bike Honda Canada should have imported. Enough extra power for more comfortable highway riding, and really no noticeable difference in fuel economy compared to the 125R. The extra torque and hp make the bike that much more fun to ride while still maintaining the character that makes the 125R endearing to many. I'm having a blast on it! I just ordered a 14T countershaft sprocket from Weemoto in the U.K. It should be here next week.

You should have no problem spotting me. I believe this is the only 2011 Repsol version sold in the area!

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #7155
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

I had a look earlier, but my 125R is going to be in the shed for a while! Too much snow in the back yard still. Fired up a couple of the other bikes, though.

Steve called earlier, he's out riding somewhere today. Asked about Nanabijou's phone number but it was on my old cell phone. The one that died.