Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #7321
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwokentoof View Post
"The latest ice out on Shebandowan in the last 30+ years was a couple of days before the long weekend..."

There go my plans for Athelstane.....
We used to go thru Athelstane and fish Modo in the spring, usually good fishing in there but that was 15 years ago...
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #7322
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 337
Thirty km up that road is our moose camp on Kashabowie. Lots of fun, funky overgrown logging trails to get lost in there. Ahhh....good times.
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #7323
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
It's like kissing and riding. Well, you know. Do you not have a licence?
I do. But Manitoba has a graduated licensing system. I have an intermediate so I can only ride during the day and I'm not allowed passengers. I want to go for my full license so I can ride at night

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #7324
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r View Post
Last year at this time we had open water and I was flying around on floats.
This year there is still enough ice for me and half the population of Cat Lake.
The lakes around Chapleau are still good for flying off of too. My brother was born on April 30, 1954 and because the roads from the lumber camp, where we lived, were too muddy to drive on my dad flew my mom to the hospital and landed his Piper Cub on the ice of the Chapleau river. Every year I take note if he could do that at the end of April and there have been very few years. Looks like this will be one of them.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #7325
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
I do. But Manitoba has a graduated licensing system. I have an intermediate so I can only ride during the day and I'm not allowed passengers. I want to go for my full license so I can ride at night
I think we have that in Ontario now as well. When I got my licence, you just had to state you could ride a bike. Lots of changes in the past 100 years!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #7326
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
The lakes around Chapleau are still good for flying off of too. My brother was born on April 30, 1954 and because the roads from the lumber camp, where we lived, were too muddy to drive on my dad flew my mom to the hospital and landed his Piper Cub on the ice of the Chapleau river. Every year I take note if he could do that at the end of April and there have been very few years. Looks like this will be one of them.
I'm getting this mental image of a woman in labour strapped into a J3!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #7327
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Pants for sale

I have Tourmaster Venture Waterproof riding pants for sale. They are size medium I'm pretty sure but they are sized pretty big and therefore are way too big for me. If anybody is interested in buying them for yourself or someone else PM me!

Specs:
- Waterproof
- Black in color
- Zip-out quilted liner
- Sized for women but look identical to the men's
- Reflective piping
- Vents
- 6" pant-to-jacket zipper
- knee + hip armor
- waist pull tabs

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #7328
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I think we have that in Ontario now as well. When I got my licence, you just had to state you could ride a bike. Lots of changes in the past 100 years!
Lyle
You can't be a day over 90 Lyle

When I did my license there was 40 other guys and one test guy. We had to ride over to the safeway parking lot a mile away from the test center. Once there he sent us out, one, two, three at a time. He told us the route, we rode around it and came back. I went up to him and asked if I passed, thinking there was other testers watching at corners...his reply, "You made it back didn't you"! Apparently there was no one watching

There was a couple that went out and bought a bike, from the old Yamaha dealer where Toyota is now. The guy bought his girlfriend a bike for passing her test...they left the dealer and at the lights, no more than 300 feet from the dealer, she was killed...
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #7329
BigDaddy
no stinking title

Oddometer: 158
Where's the new bike..?

Northrider, still waiting for pictures of your new to you ride...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #7330
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
KamikazeKLR..... For the road test, as you said shoulder check..... , use your mirrors, safe and smooth maneuvers, and don't be overly cautious (to slow). I did my road test about 5 years ago... good luck.....

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #7331
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Going to do my road test soon, hopefully. Any tips/tricks? I know to shoulder check like a crazy person and such, but what do they REALLY look for other than that? I'm kind of nervous...
I hear they frown on wheelies during your road test now.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #7332
Grey Eagle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
I hear they frown on wheelies during your road test now.
When I did my M1 exit course I almost flunkled from this. Being 6'5" the only bike they had in the stable that would fit me, and not make me look like a shriner driving a clown car, was a beat up old Kawi dualsport. Thing had some carb issues and it was a treat to try and keep it from stalling out trying to play nice on take off like the instructors wanted. After fighting with it for the better part of the day........... it got the better of my patience and I dumped the clutch while grabbing a mitt full of throttle and walked it for a bit across the parking lot For my efforts I got a time out and a stern talking too about the evils of transfering dirtbike skills to street riding

To the OP, to add to what has already been said................. two feet down at stops, don't drag a foot while taking off, and be sure to be in the correct side of the lane for all situations including making left or right hand turns.

Good luck
Grey Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #7333
2whlrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Eagle View Post

To the OP, to add to what has already been said................. two feet down at stops, don't drag a foot while taking off, and be sure to be in the correct side of the lane for all situations including making left or right hand turns.

Good luck
Our motorcycle safety course teaches keeping your right foot on the peg and rear brake. Don't know if it is different in Ont
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #7334
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Eagle View Post

Good luck
The only revision I would humbly add to the above is "Don't put two feet down at stops". I believe you are now required to stay in first gear, and leave your left foot down (don't let it hop when coming to a stop) and your right foot on the brake pedal (in the ready position). So just one foot down.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #7335
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,663
Here is a photo of the bike I took my test on. 1973, Kawasaki 350 enduro. Thunder Bay was a hot spot for Dual Sporting. We invented it... 24 of Glass Beer bottles, (cheaper than cans) a sleeping bag and a fishing rod strapped to the handle bars.

Test day, which was always on a rainy Tuesday morning, we got a permit, one way only, to the Fort William Hiways Department Office to take the test.
You fail, you had to get the bike home some other way than riding . We saw many over the years, doing the "walk of Shame"... Pushing their bikes on James Street....

And for you who like European Race Bikes... Feast your eyes on this baby, my very first bike, 1966, 100cc, Bultaco Lobito...

Note the velocity stack on the carb, fork brace, skid plate, no fenders (for reduced weight) and silver racing helmet. State of the "ark" technology.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black FOR SALE, 2009 Yamaha WR250R, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1967 Honda CD125, 1980 Honda C70 Cub. (on display at the Headingly Musem for the Winter)

BackRoader screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 07:39 AM
BackRoader is online now   Reply With Quote