Oddometer: 3,338
Is that in Thunder Bay Gord?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #7592
skysailor
Rat Rider

Took the DR out for a wee spin. Still lots of snow in Rushing River park.

Lyle

skysailor screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 11:43 AM
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #7593
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,732
Re: Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Is that in Thunder Bay Gord?
Lyle
EDIT never mind. He unloaded it already

No Espanola. Guzirelic works there

Sent using a techy gadget from somewhere
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #7594
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
Old Fart at Play had one for sale, I think. Try PM'ing him.

I think it was blue.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #7595
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,097
Got out for another 80kms today with KEL115, still having a hard time finding anything rough to ride Did some gravel roads out here today, muddy, wet and one even had snow and ice on it...scary

Cool in town but super nice and warm out here Still about 2+ feet of snow out here though!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #7596
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
So, is that OAS or CPP bumped to 67?

BTW, what's the best (you know cheapest, easiest to install, easiest to find) large aftermarket gas tank for a DR650? I went through 9 litres in 120 miles. If I remember correctly, the beast has 13 litres?, so I'm good for about 150 miles? So, about 220 kms or so.
Lyle

Hi Lyle,

I have an IMS, approx 18.5 litre. The Acerbis is 20 litre, the Clarke 15 and the Safari over 30 litres! I may be selling my IMS and the matching Corbin seat (just got back from 600km today and 400km yesterday and my ass doesn't hurt). You can try them out sometime, too bad you won't be at the NOFAR rally. If I can sell them for a fair price then I'll be buying the Safari tank.

Steve
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #7597
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart At Play View Post
Hi Lyle,

I have an IMS, approx 18.5 litre. The Acerbis is 20 litre, the Clarke 15 and the Safari over 30 litres! I may be selling my IMS and the matching Corbin seat (just got back from 600km today and 400km yesterday and my ass doesn't hurt). You can try them out sometime, too bad you won't be at the NOFAR rally. If I can sell them for a fair price then I'll be buying the Safari tank.

Steve
You don't have much of an ass! Must be a great seat! Where'd you go for 600 km?
Lyle
Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #7598
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Took the DR out for a wee spin. Still lots of snow in Rushing River park.

Lyle
Hey Lyle,

Rushing River has a lot of catching up to do in terms of greenery this year. In May 2010 I rode my 2009 CBR125R up from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg along Hwy 11 and up Hwy 71. I wanted to see whether the little 125R could carry camping gear and handle a longer trip.

The first 150 kms of the journey had me singing "The Weight" by The Band in my head as I cruised for the most part with no traffic out of Thunder up Hwy 102 and then along Hwy 11. A strong tailwind also had me easily cruising at 100km/hr, sitting up straight, with some throttle left. Unfortunately, about 50km before my first stop in Atikokan, ON it suddenly started to storm, including heavy rain and strong winds. One gust dragged me almost onto the shoulder of the road. What started as Nirvana suddenly turned into gladiator battle conditions. I think it was Don Henley who sang "In a Northern Ontario riding minute - everything can change". It didn't help matters that I had thoughtfully worn my Joe Rocket Alter Ego gear but thoughtlessly left the waterproof liner back home. I was soaked and shivering by the time I stopped in Atikokan. In 18C weather no less. After filling up with fuel, the young attendant at Johnson's ESSO in Atikokan took pity on me and offered up the service garage and I gratefully capitalized on this opportunity to get out of the rain, into dry clothes, and don some extra rain gear I had taken with me.

The weather didn't improve much. Lots of strong wind, rain, and cooler temperatures. I had to leave my visor cracked open because my helmet kept fogging. My face was drenched. When I reached the makeshift "toll booth" at the Noden Causeway I removed my helmet to show off my new "wet rat" visage and figured the attendant might also take pity on me. Nope. I paid the toll.

But conditions improved somewhat - and I finally made it to Rushing River Park at around 9:30PM with plenty of light to spare.

The photo of the welcome sign was taken the next day - in better weather.

With the sun out the next day - I walked around and took some photos.

I was given a walk-in site right on the lake. Apparently these sites are hard to come by when the park is operating at peak season. May is a great time of year to camp. I purchased a new Marmot Limelight 2-person tent and at the time loved how easy it was to set up and take down. It offered plenty of room, was well ventilated and fit easily in my tailbag. It rained on and off for much of the night and the tent kept me nice and dry.

Dog Tooth Lake view in the morning from my site.

Interesting erratic on one of the sites.

The campers beach.

Downstream from swimming area.

The Rushing River.

A quintessential Ontario park shot.

Another site.

Really nice site on the lake.

The trip into Winnipeg was relatively uneventful. The weather was generally sunny. Virtually every rider I passed on the highway during this leg of the trip waved - a stunning contrast compared to riding in the city. I spotted a guy on a Harley just north of Kenora and followed behind him. He even waved to me when he turned at Falcon Lake, MB. Approaching Winnipeg (St. Anne) and back I encountered some strong prairie winds. Felt like I was riding at a 45 degree angle to the highway much of the time. Had to be constantly vigilant - and respond likewise in between gusts.

On returning to my campsite I quickly discovered that an intruder had visited my tent while I had been away for the day. A thief. I gathered some evidence - then put out an A.P.B. for a Mr. Chip M. Unk. He ate through my no-see-um mesh to gain access to the only food I had - a small sealed bag of peanuts. I know enough to never bring food into my tent. But I thought I'd be safe this one time. As a thoughtful sign of reciprocity, he left lots of peanut husks strewn all over the tent floor as well as many self-generated "little chocolate-like bits" - that took a while to clean out. The coup de grace was that the multiple holes he cratered into my tent mesh allowed the few mosquitos taking up residence in the park to now all congregate in my home for the evening. Thankfully, he ended up turning himself in - or so I thought - when suddenly out of nowhere he brazenly returned to my site and once again entered my tent while I was sitting reading at the picnic table not 10 feet away. He then ran up to me aggressively, squawking away. I wasn't sure if he was trying to shoo me off the site or if he was demanding food in a threatening manner.

The ride back to Thunder Bay the next day went well. For the most part the weather was nice, with only a few scattered showers. While waiting for road construction between Vermillion Bay and Dryden - I rode up to a guy on a Honda Stateline. Turns out he was an RCMP officer and was intending to make it to Marathon, ON for the night. We chatted for a while. Nice guy. I rode behind him until some distance past Dryden when he rocketed past some traffic - a feat the little CBR125R couldn't even come close to mustering. Still, I was able to maintain a speed of between 100-102km/hr (8500-9000 rpm) tucked in about half the time - depending on wind - which allowed me to keep pace nicely with most traffic. Very few cars passed me traveling in the same direction. I calculated my average fuel consumption to be around 92 mpg (Imperial) with a low of 80 mpg (windy Winnipeg section) and a high of 102 mpg (tailwind from Thunder Bay).

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 08:25 AM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #7599
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,613
Nanabijou

Great ride report and yes a big contrast from last year...........soon I hope

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #7600
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,097
Nice shots mike! That 150 should do better for power

Still a long way to go before we can do some backroads this spring!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #7601
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Nice shots mike! That 150 should do better for power

Still a long way to go before we can do some backroads this spring!
Yeah - the 150 has noticeably more power. I went out for a long ride yesterday along with a friend on his Guzzi V7 Classic. The CBR150R has made it easier to ride out on the highway in a comfortable sitting position. Yet the CBR150R still retains the fun "peaky" characteristics of the 125R. Like the CBR125R - if you want to achieve the most from the bike - you need to redline it in each gear. The 150R produces about 4 more hp, and a bit more torque (9.3 ft-lbs) than the 125R (7.7 ft-lbs) - but at 500 RPM higher up! Currently with the 14T sprocket - I can take better advantage of the 150R's 8500 RPM torque-peak and cruise more easily in windy conditions out on the highway. I am running at 8400RPM @ 100km/hr (GPS) on the highway. Redline is at 11,500 RPM.

I generally tell people that in normal everyday riding - the CBR150R can crest steep hills and ride on the flats comfortably at 10km/hr (GPS) faster than the CBR125R - without even trying - based on my observations. And the bike has fulfilled my original quest to find a little more "get up and go" from the 125R. A couple of days ago I was riding on the highway and approached the passing-lane area of the "KOA hill", just past the Spruce River Road turnoff. On my 150R I geared down into 5th part way up and maintained 95km/hr (GPS) (full throttle, in windy conditions) sitting up on the bike at around 9000 RPM. Most cars slow somewhat cresting this hill too. Now, I COULD have dropped it into 4th gear and took it up to 11,000 RPM and crested the hill at 103km/hr (GPS) and the 150R would have done it - as it's in the meat of its power here. The CBR125R could never have accomplished this feat!

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 08:28 AM
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #7602
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

My CBR 125 should be ok for power. After all, it's lost 45 lbs of ugly fat.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #7603
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Hope this isn't an issue posting this here. I'm selling my 2011 CBR250R (ABS). Any takers? I'd rather sell it to someone I know.

http://thunderbay.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...AdIdZ479180157

Mike
Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #7604
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
My CBR 125 should be ok for power. After all, it's lost 45 lbs of ugly fat.
Hey Ron - with you on it - it may give my CBR150R a run for its money with my corpulent mass on it.

Mike
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #7605
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

I was drooling on your 250 pictures.

I really like 250's.