ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #7696
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
It was so quick that I didn't even know what had happened till I watched the video a couple of days later!

I was standing and it sounds like I got on the gas a bit and maybe had my weight over the bars a bit too much? It just turned 90 degrees left in the blink of an eye...don't really know why it did that, never had that happen before without physically hitting something with the bars

Nothing broken, just really, really sore in my lower back right now and not functioning very well.

Guess I wasn't meant to race a dirt bike First time I've ever injured my back riding...don't like it
Feel your pain. I had rode some motocross years ago and wiped quite a few times, but remember my worst accident was running dirt bikes north of town along some sand dunes near the ear falls rail line and came over a whoop and hit an old culvert. Went arse over tea kettle and could not catch my breath for a while. It was all i could do to ride the 25 miles home and my back was screwed for days after.

You will get better but you will be more cautious in the future.
__________________
"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.".
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2003 KL250 Super Sherpa Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 03:44 PM
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #7697
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!
 
GR0NK's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the Valley of Bomb Runs...
Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
It was so quick that I didn't even know what had happened till I watched the video a couple of days later!

I was standing and it sounds like I got on the gas a bit and maybe had my weight over the bars a bit too much? It just turned 90 degrees left in the blink of an eye...don't really know why it did that, never had that happen before without physically hitting something with the bars

Nothing broken, just really, really sore in my lower back right now and not functioning very well.

Guess I wasn't meant to race a dirt bike First time I've ever injured my back riding...don't like it
It wasn't the front that got away it was the back. Looks to me like the rear end just kicked out off a slick root and threw you over. The rev you hear isn't you grabbing gas, it's the rear wheel coming off the ground. Just bad lucky really, I've been bucked off like that, everybody who races eventually does.

Two suggestions. Steering stabilizer and build up your core strength.

Early in the video you clip a tree with the right bar and go down. That happens often to most fast guys but a steering stabilizer will absorb it and keep you on your wheels.

To prevent injury, do core strength exercises. Deadlifts will not only prevent lower back injury, they will alleviate back pain as well. I know this from experience.

Another cheap but extremely effective workout is with a power wheel.



It will make you cry but it's well worth the money.
On a bike, core strength is everything.



Sean
__________________
Team Valley Bomb Squad

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #7698
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
It wasn't the front that got away it was the back. Looks to me like the rear end just kicked out off a slick root and threw you over. The rev you hear isn't you grabbing gas, it's the rear wheel coming off the ground. Just bad lucky really, I've been bucked off like that, everybody who races eventually does.

Two suggestions. Steering stabilizer and build up your core strength.

Early in the video you clip a tree with the right bar and go down. That happens often to most fast guys but a steering stabilizer will absorb it and keep you on your wheels.

To prevent injury, do core strength exercises. Deadlifts will not only prevent lower back injury, they will alleviate back pain as well. I know this from experience.

Another cheap but extremely effective workout is with a power wheel.



It will make you cry but it's well worth the money.
On a bike, core strength is everything.



Sean
I hear ya Sean! I can't build a lot of strength due to ongoing issues and as for the damn stabilizer...I took it off last fall and put it on my 530...is there a smilie with a gun to it's head
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #7699
qwiky
Adventurer
 
qwiky's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Thunderbay Ontario
Oddometer: 59
does anyone by chance have a chainbreaker/rivet tool?
__________________
-2001 YAMAHA Wr250F(SM)
-2008 SUZUKI Gs500F
-1974 SUZUKI Ts125 Dusty (SOLD)
qwiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #7700
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer
 
canuckAME's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 703
Hi Rob

Lower back injuries are no fun. My wife took me to emerg 2 weekends back mine was so bad. They gave me a shot of morphine and hobbled out and home. I was worse the next day so back we went. X Rays, ultrasounds and 4 hits of morphine. Spent 2 days flat out on the muscle relaxants. Just about back to normal now.

This aging is the shits some days

You and Ron heal up quick.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #7701
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,026
Thanks for the well wishes, Chuck! Yea, some of those drugs are pretty good!! You can see how people get addicted to them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post
Hi Rob

Lower back injuries are no fun. My wife took me to emerg 2 weekends back mine was so bad. They gave me a shot of morphine and hobbled out and home. I was worse the next day so back we went. X Rays, ultrasounds and 4 hits of morphine. Spent 2 days flat out on the muscle relaxants. Just about back to normal now.

This aging is the shits some days

You and Ron heal up quick.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #7702
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post
Hi Rob

Lower back injuries are no fun. My wife took me to emerg 2 weekends back mine was so bad. They gave me a shot of morphine and hobbled out and home. I was worse the next day so back we went. X Rays, ultrasounds and 4 hits of morphine. Spent 2 days flat out on the muscle relaxants. Just about back to normal now.

This aging is the shits some days

You and Ron heal up quick.
They didn't give me squat at the hospital The emerg doc pushed on my lower back and I almost fell to the floor yelling...maybe if I'd passed out I would've gotten something?

Yes, this getting old stuff really sucks!
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #7703
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,182
Alaska Bound Adventure Rider...

This is Jeff, he's headed from Southern Ontario to Alaska for a 2 month ride. He's leaving Thunder Bay tomorrow morning after warming up for 2 days in my camper Minus 4c here this morning If you see him in your travels give him a wave or flag him down and let him know of a place to stay...he's a good kid!

Here's his thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885952

__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 06:45 PM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #7704
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,713
Hey Lappeeman, are you good to go next weekend ?

Will see you at the Mad House on Thursday.

Anyone else from TBay joining us the ride east to Wawa ?
__________________
2009 Yamaha WR250R, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1967 Honda CD125, 1980 Honda C70 Cub. SOLD. (on display at the Headingly Musem for the Winter)
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #7705
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
This is Jeff, he's headed from Southern Ontario to Alaska for a 2 month ride. He's leaving Thunder Bay tomorrow morning after warming up for 2 days in my camper Minus 4c here this morning If you see him in your travels give him a wave or flag him down and let him know of a place to stay...he's a good kid!
Here's his thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885952
Still zero here in Dryden at 8am. If I see him on the way through will buy him a coffee. He can call if he needs tent/bedroll space etc. 807.220.2404
__________________
"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.".
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2003 KL250 Super Sherpa Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 08:24 AM
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #7706
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Hey Lappeeman, are you good to go next weekend ?

Will see you at the Mad House on Thursday.

Anyone else from TBay joining us the ride east to Wawa ?
Still not 100%, body and mind Not riding this weekend, too sore. Next week I'm on evening shift and don't leave work until 2am, so I won't be at the Mad House. Might see you guys in Wawa, I hope.
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #7707
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11
 
FINNDIAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wawa, ont, Canada
Oddometer: 1,746
Come on down whether your riding or not Rob.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
__________________
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #7708
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Come on down whether your riding or not Rob.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Thanks FINNDIAN! Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit nicer out, so I might start working on the camper. Have to replace the counter top and taps in the camper and an external drain valve...had some water issues last summer.
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #7709
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
I put together a shortened version of my race that ended with a crash

I got a crappy start...missed the kick starter


Yup, that's why I don't do much off road anymore! IsplatMore!!!
__________________
2009 Yamaha WR250R, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1967 Honda CD125, 1980 Honda C70 Cub. SOLD. (on display at the Headingly Musem for the Winter)
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #7710
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man
 
bwokentoof's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: no fixed address Ontario
Oddometer: 340
Hate back injuries....take too long to heal...

...and why would anyone go to Alaska on a KLR?
__________________
I can get more done in a day than you can in an hour.
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014