Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #8101
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I never buy full coverage insurance. There is NO advantage to it unless you have an "at fault" accident. If the other guy is at fault, your bike is fully covered even without full coverage. Plus, I don't ride a bike worth 20K, or one that is likely to be stolen.
I figure I've save enough over the years to buy several nice new bikes. Of course, the money went to kid's education, wife's Polo Park visits and vacations. YMMV
The difference between PL PD and full coverage on my BMWs was about $100 per bike. With the KLRs I put as a minimum comprehensive on them to cover smacking a hooved rodent (deer). The comprehensive (500 deductible) coverage is about $50 per bike for the year.

Quote:
Headed to Thunder Bay today to take my daughter on a tour of Con College's Flight training facility tomorrow. The Bandit needs a spin.
Taking the BMWs up to TBay for blues fest tomorrow. Camping at my daughters place.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #8102
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,697
Not sure if you've been following the thread but Keith and Bryan from New Zealand are doing the Trans Canada Adventure trail (tcat) and are were here last night.
If anyone that can provide any input on any needed, go arounds on the route north of thunder bay or ride along it would be much appreciated.
there is a tcat thread here on the forum also.

www.graveltravel.ca
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #8103
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Not sure if you've been following the thread but Keith and Bryan from New Zealand are doing the Trans Canada Adventure trail (tcat) and are were here last night.
If anyone that can provide any input on any needed, go arounds on the route north of thunder bay or ride along it would be much appreciated.
there is a tcat thread here on the forum also.

www.graveltravel.ca
12kms past Graham road on the old rail bed was washed out for GPSkevin, not sure if it's been fixed, doubt it (saw the photos of it, impassible). Turn south back down Graham road to the highway and then come back up north on the highway out of Ignace. Skip the trail section between Silver Dollar gas station and Sioux Lookout as it has two large washouts and private property and you'd be doing a lot of back tracking. Head north out of Sioux Lookout and back onto the trail and your good to go!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #8104
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 7,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
12kms past Graham road on the old rail bed was washed out for GPSkevin, not sure if it's been fixed, doubt it (saw the photos of it, impassible). Turn south back down Graham road to the highway and then come back up north on the highway out of Ignace. Skip the trail section between Silver Dollar gas station and Sioux Lookout as it has two large washouts and private property and you'd be doing a lot of back tracking. Head north out of Sioux Lookout and back onto the trail and your good to go!
That washout between Sioux Lookout and Silver Dollar has been there quite a while. This is how we got across one of them on the 2006 Icebreaker.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #8105
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
That washout between Sioux Lookout and Silver Dollar has been there quite a while. This is how we got across one of them on the 2006 Icebreaker.
There's a least three washout's then, I didn't even get to that one. The first on was about 200 yds in from highway and I made it thru that one with a fully loaded KLR but the second one was big and deep, didn't want to try it with the KLR being I was riding solo, so I had to back track quite a ways just to get to the highway again. The section where it crosses the highway was gated and private property. This was all back in 2010.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #8106
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Hot ride up. It was +32c in Kakabeka but as soon as we hit the lake effect it dropped to a perfect 22c. Within an hour the wind switched and back up to 30c. Sitting at Blues Fest now. Fabulous evening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect
Old 07-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #8107
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Hot ride up. It was +32c in Kakabeka but as soon as we hit the lake effect it dropped to a perfect 22c. Within an hour the wind switched and back up to 30c. Sitting at Blues Fest now. Fabulous evening!

WooHoo! Have a blast!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #8108
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:

I'm out on my deck on Court St. right now listening too. Funny - I had to make a couple of runs to the dump today. While at the dump - the temp read-out on the car said 30C. As soon as I returned to my place - it said 22C. The cycle kept repeating itself each time I did a run.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #8109
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I'm out on my deck on Court St. right now listening too. Funny - I had to make a couple of runs to the dump today. While at the dump - the temp read-out on the car said 30C. As soon as I returned to my place - it said 22C. The cycle kept repeating itself each time I did a run.

Mike
Just came from another shake down ride, thought you'd be at the Blues Fest, so I didn't drive by...not that I know where your house is anyway Came in from plus 30c and it felt like the arctic when I hit downtown. First thought was I could've tested my electric vest down here! I'll post a vid of the ride a little later.

Bike ran excellent...ready for the big trips now...I think
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #8110
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 7,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Just came from another shake down ride, thought you'd be at the Blues Fest, so I didn't drive by...not that I know where your house is anyway Came in from plus 30c and it felt like the arctic when I hit downtown. First thought was I could've tested my electric vest down here! I'll post a vid of the ride a little later.

Bike ran excellent...ready for the big trips now...I think
The only problem i EVER had with my KLR was the rear shock, which i rebuilt for 28 bucks.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #8111
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
The only problem i EVER had with my KLR was the rear shock, which i rebuilt for 28 bucks.
Had the front and rear suspension upgraded with heavier springs, new seals and new oil, should be no problem there. Only problem I might have is with the electrical accessory blocks and wiring that I put in but hopefully I did a good job of it and I'll check it periodically anyway.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #8112
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,225
Got back from Thunder Bay on the Bandit last night. I is in the market for either a touring mount, or a new seat. Bloody painful! Need a butt transplant.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #8113
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Got back from Thunder Bay on the Bandit last night. I is in the market for either a touring mount, or a new seat. Bloody painful! Need a butt transplant.
Lyle
Ok Lyle, that's it... Get rid of it!!! Stop talking about it !!!
Go out to the shed, get the Moose Gun, put a cap in its ass and sink it in a lake !!!
On another note!!!
We were treated to the Yamaha bikes this week, with three dealers having demo days, a few AdV guys had a chance to test the rides.

For you I would suggest the FJR, hight adjustable seat, sport/touring mode, luggage included and 200 kph plus top end!!! Nice.

My choice for best buy, the Bolt, a sportster on steroids ... Not suggesting you can tour on it, but a fun bike to ride.
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #8114
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:

Hopefully the weather works out better for you guys tomorrow for your ride home than for me today. Went up to Nipigon to visit, and lauren and I were planning on going to blues fest today and I was going to head out tomorrow. Weather looked crap tomorrow but alright today.So we diecided i would leave today to stay dry, I was wrong. It rained from shabaqua to fort on me, torrential down pours at times. Had to stop at quetico north for soup and to change the under layers.

The ride there on Thurs was perfect though
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #8115
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
Hopefully the weather works out better for you guys tomorrow for your ride home than for me today. Went up to Nipigon to visit, and lauren and I were planning on going to blues fest today and I was going to head out tomorrow. Weather looked crap tomorrow but alright today.So we diecided i would leave today to stay dry, I was wrong. It rained from shabaqua to fort on me, torrential down pours at times. Had to stop at quetico north for soup and to change the under layers.

The ride there on Thurs was perfect though
You need some Klim gear 100% waterproof!
Yes we got a few showers after about 5ish but at 7 the heavens opened up and the place got soaked. Headed home. Still one more day of BF so staying here until Monday. Looks like the weather is improving and the ride home should be cooler and maybe a passing shower.