Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #8101
calan818
The CarMexican

Oddometer: 1,219
Posting some pics from mark96 and me from Montana this past week!
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #8102
calan818
The CarMexican

And a few more
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #8103
calan818
The CarMexican

Beautiful morning north of Libby MT
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #8104
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,165
Deadhorse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Hey Robert, looking pretty good.
Thanks Brian! Trying to cover all possibilities...maybe overthinking this whole thing? I think I'm gonna try for Deadhorse in the 18 days I have...not really concerned about making it back in time for the stupid job I have now, can always go back to construction if I run out of time...pays more anyway Only thing is, I have 10 days to get everything else ready now

Anything that you would suggest or do differently? I'm looking to push it all the way to Deadhorse and then see where I stand...besides in the far north
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #8105
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818 View Post

Beautiful morning north of Libby MT
Nice pics Carl, looks like a nice place to visit!!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #8106
calan818
The CarMexican

Just before Logan Pass as the sun is rising.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #8107
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Carl and Mark

Good to see you guys out raking in the scenery.
I'm hoping I'll be out of traction and heading to Labrador in a couple of weeks.
Enjoy!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #8108
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Thanks Brian! Trying to cover all possibilities...maybe overthinking this whole thing? I think I'm gonna try for Deadhorse in the 18 days I have...not really concerned about making it back in time for the stupid job I have now, can always go back to construction if I run out of time...pays more anyway Only thing is, I have 10 days to get everything else ready now

Anything that you would suggest or do differently? I'm looking to push it all the way to Deadhorse and then see where I stand...besides in the far north
Pity you can't take more time, but it is what is.
I have a few thoughts for you, (Which I see have turned into a novel in length.)

Be aware you may need extra fuel prior to arrival at Deadhorse, and if you're not carrying it, you're SOL. (Ditto for the return from Deadhorse to Coldfoot.)
We filled up our KLRs in Coldfoot, last chance enroute to Deadhorse, and Jono had to switch to reserve before we made it.
Headwinds or a heavy throttle hand would have made that happen much earlier, and extra fuel would have been a necessity. (For a KLR in good condition, a couple of litres would probably suffice unless the headwinds (or your speed (we averaged 80KPH) are in the order of 20--30 KPH over. YMMV.)

A TKC80 is definitely recommended for at least the front, as the calcium chloride slurry they apply during active maintenance has brought more than one adventurer to grief on the Dalton.
We had no active road maintenance on the ride up, but a big bunch of pucker moments on the return with tanker trucks spraying tons of the stuff behind ganged graders on the return. Slippery as goose shit.

I would recommend putting on the TKC80 in Fairbanks enroute to Deadhorse.There is at least one shop in both Fairbanks and Whitehorse to get tires from, though possibly not TKC80s; check.. The chipseal in the north is hard on tires, so it pays to know where you can get a replacement. The rear in particular takes a licking with the extra load carried when adventuring and may need replacement on the return south. I suspect a Heidenau K76 rear may make the round trip, but it would be a stretch; and you may not find it aggressive enough if the conditions are wet.

The road can be rough in places (there is a fair bit of truck traffic) and I saw a VTwin Trike with a broken axle that was going to cost him a couple of grand to get towed back to Fairbanks. Ya can't dodge all the potholes on a trike.

All that said, if the conditions are right, you can make it up from Coldfoot and back in one day on a sports-bike or sport touring bike. Though if you run into a lengthy rain it may take several days of waiting for the road to harden up again.

Go for it, there is no other road in North America of that length with scenery like it other than the Dempster. (Which is actually more beautiful and remote.)

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Cheers, Brian
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #8109
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Pity you can't take more time, but it is what is.
I have a few thoughts for you, (Which I see have turned into a novel in length.)

Be aware you may need extra fuel prior to arrival at Deadhorse, and if you're not carrying it, you're SOL. (Ditto for the return from Deadhorse to Coldfoot.)
We filled up our KLRs in Coldfoot, last chance enroute to Deadhorse, and Jono had to switch to reserve before we made it.
Headwinds or a heavy throttle hand would have made that happen much earlier, and extra fuel would have been a necessity. (For a KLR in good condition, a couple of litres would probably suffice unless the headwinds (or your speed (we averaged 80KPH) are in the order of 20--30 KPH over. YMMV.)

A TKC80 is definitely recommended for at least the front, as the calcium chloride slurry they apply during active maintenance has brought more than one adventurer to grief on the Dalton.
We had no active road maintenance on the ride up, but a big bunch of pucker moments on the return with tanker trucks spraying tons of the stuff behind ganged graders on the return. Slippery as goose shit.

I would recommend putting on the TKC80 in Fairbanks enroute to Deadhorse.There is at least one shop in both Fairbanks and Whitehorse to get tires from, though possibly not TKC80s; check.. The chipseal in the north is hard on tires, so it pays to know where you can get a replacement. The rear in particular takes a licking with the extra load carried when adventuring and may need replacement on the return south. I suspect a Heidenau K76 rear may make the round trip, but it would be a stretch; and you may not find it aggressive enough if the conditions are wet.

The road can be rough in places (there is a fair bit of truck traffic) and I saw a VTwin Trike with a broken axle that was going to cost him a couple of grand to get towed back to Fairbanks. Ya can't dodge all the potholes on a trike.

All that said, if the conditions are right, you can make it up from Coldfoot and back in one day on a sports-bike or sport touring bike. Though if you run into a lengthy rain it may take several days of waiting for the road to harden up again.

Go for it, there is no other road in North America of that length with scenery like it other than the Dempster. (Which is actually more beautiful and remote.)

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Cheers, Brian
Thanks Brian, much appreciated! I will be carrying an extra can of gas. There is Heidenau's on the bike, not put on by me, off the top of my head can't remember which ones but they have a decent aggressive tread on them and they are brand new, so they'll have to do until change time.

What's the bike shop in Fairbanks?

Plan to camp. I've been on the Dempster when it rained and when it was graded, so I've got a good idea what I'd be in for when conditions turn bad...lets hope they don't!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #8110
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Thanks Brian, much appreciated! I will be carrying an extra can of gas. There is Heidenau's on the bike, not put on by me, off the top of my head can't remember which ones but they have a decent aggressive tread on them and they are brand new, so they'll have to do until change time.

What's the bike shop in Fairbanks?

Plan to camp. I've been on the Dempster when it rained and when it was graded, so I've got a good idea what I'd be in for when conditions turn bad...lets hope they don't!
The folks here have a really good reputation, though I don't know what they stock.
http://www.advcycleworks.com/
There are other places that a quick Googling will find.

There are also some seriously great people there that will be quick to lend a hand if you post with an issue or a question on the Alaska forum.

You can camp pretty much anywhere you like on the Dalton except on the pipeline right of way.
Cheers!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #8111
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
The folks here have a really good reputation, though I don't know what they stock.
http://www.advcycleworks.com/
There are other places that a quick Googling will find.

There are also some seriously great people there that will be quick to lend a hand if you post with an issue or a question on the Alaska forum.

You can camp pretty much anywhere you like on the Dalton except on the pipeline right of way.
Cheers!
Thanks Brian! Tires are the Heidenau K60's front and back. I checked the advcycle web page and they usually carrying them in the size I need. I'll email them anyhow.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #8112
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,735
Highly recommend advcycle in Fairbanks. Father son operation. Call ahead to see if they have tires. Other shop is Trails end cycle. It is now mainly Harley dealer so be prepared for the "my shit don't stink attitude". We used Heidenaus on our trip up the Dempster and all was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #8113
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Highly recommend advcycle in Fairbanks. Father son operation. Call ahead to see if they have tires. Other shop is Trails end cycle. It is now mainly Harley dealer so be prepared for the "my shit don't stink attitude". We used Heidenaus on our trip up the Dempster and all was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect
Thanks Garth! I emailed them.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #8114
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman
Hey Brian! What can you tell me about the Laird Highway to Yellowknife and back down to Edmonton? If I have time...probably won't...I might swing up there, for a "done that" certificate
The Liard Highway (#7) is gravel from the BC border to where it hooks up with the main east west highway across the NWT (#1), which is also gravel until it hooks up with the turnoff north to Yellowknife and south to Hay River, Edmonton etc.; which is paved with some gravel sections for ongoing construction.

What makes the Liard unique (other than its absolute remoteness) is the type of gravel used seems to be clay based, and after/during heavy rains, can\will become a nightmare. Much worse than a wet Dalton or Dempster.

Fuel up in Fort Liard (gas is closed at night). There is a really nice free campground with a shelter and free wood between the highway (#7) and Fort Liard.
Head north on #7 then detour north on #1 to Fort Simpson (gas is closed at night, as is the ferry to get to it) for more fuel, backtrack and head east again then north on #1 towards Fort Providence (across the new Mackenzie River bridge) for more fuel.
Then head north to Yellowknife. If you run fast, you will be on reserve and fumes by the time you get there.

I recommend you carry at least three extra litres just in case.
Note other than the places I mentioned, there are no gas stations, restaurants, houses, phone booths... Nothing except the road, the occasional microwave tower, and a hydro pole or two. And lots and lots of mosquitos.

A word of extreme caution:
Heading north from Fort Providence to Yellowknife the road is relatively straight with a few curves thrown in for the fun of it. Lulls you into a relaxed mode.
However, I guarantee that if you barrel over a blind rise on one of the straight sections into a dip at warp speed... you will run head-on into a herd of bison.
A shit yourself moment unless you're lucky like I was. (Ok, I still shit myself even if I was lucky.)

Done Yellowknife? Retrace your steps and head south towards Hay River, refuel at Fort Providence and fuel up at Enterprise. Then head south into Alberta. You can make it with a full tank to High Level unless you're running silly speeds, though Indian Cabins (gas is closed at night) is not far into Alberta and also has fuel.

I know I should have PMd you this info but thought others might use it down the road (so to speak).
Cheers, Brian

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 12:09 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #8115
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
The Liard Highway (#7) is gravel from the BC border to where it hooks up with the main east west highway across the NWT (#1), which is also gravel until it hooks up with the turnoff north to Yellowknife and south to Hay River, Edmonton etc.; which is paved with some gravel sections for ongoing construction.

What makes the Liard unique (other than its absolute remoteness) is the type of gravel used seems to be clay based, and after/during heavy rains, can\will become a nightmare. Much worse than a wet Dalton or Dempster.

Fuel up in Fort Liard (gas is closed at night). There is a really nice free campground with a shelter and free wood between the highway (#7) and Fort Liard.
Head north on #7 then detour north on #1 to Fort Simpson (gas is closed at night, as is the ferry to get to it) for more fuel, backtrack and head east again then north on #1 towards Fort Providence (across the new Mackenzie River bridge) for more fuel.
Then head north to Yellowknife. If you run fast, you will be on reserve and fumes by the time you get there.

I recommend you carry at least three extra litres just in case.
Note other than the places I mentioned, there are no gas stations, restaurants, houses, phone booths... Nothing except the road, the occasional microwave tower, and a hydro pole or two. And lots and lots of mosquitos.

A word of extreme caution:
Heading north from Fort Providence to Yellowknife the road is relatively straight with a few curves thrown in for the fun of it. Lulls you into a relaxed mode.
However, I guarantee that if you barrel over a blind rise on one of the straight sections into a dip at warp speed... you will run head-on into a herd of bison.
A shit yourself moment unless you're lucky like I was. (Ok, I still shit myself even if I was lucky.)

Done Yellowknife? Retrace your steps and head south towards Hay River, refuel at Fort Providence and fuel up at Enterprise. Then head south into Alberta. You can make it with a full tank to High Level unless you're running silly speeds, though Indian Cabins (gas is closed at night) is not far into Alberta and also has fuel.

I know I should have PMd you this info but thought others might use it down the road (so to speak).
Cheers, Brian
Thanks Brian, very much appreciated! I have a tire waiting for me in Alaska...so I guess it's a go
2007 YZ250F Blue Death