Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #8131
benwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Did the same trip last year. It was an anniversary year for D2D and had a great time. Did you make it to Inuvik? Met a fellow this year who tried it but the road was closed past Eagle Plains
No we went as far as the Arctic Circle and had to turn around, we lost 3 days (spent working on my buddys bike in "The Dicks" Garage). This happened to his bike 115 km away from Dawson City:

Chain snapped and bunched up, putting a hole in the bottom end.
benwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #8132
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
Heading to a town near you...

Tomorrow morning, rain or shine, I will be heading east from Winnipeg bound for a myriad of adventures between here and Aylesford, Nova Scotia, with scheduled stops in TBay, The Soo, Owen Sound and Erinsville...

The rest of the trip will be a meandering one, largely ridden solo, with a ride on the North Shore of the St. Lawrence, a tour of the Gaspe Peninsula (and a photo op at Perce Rock), and a Cabot Trail/Meat Cove Redux - clockwise this time...and I hope to be camping most of the way.

Should the weather-guessers have an accurate read on tomorrow, however, I am more likely than not going to spend the entire day riding in rain, thunder, and possibly lightening. Although I am carrying camping gear, I am hoping to either hit a mom'n'pop motel or an ADVrider inmate's floor or couch instead of sleeping in a tent after a day of rainy riding.

If anyone in Thunder Bay has any space or recommendations, please PM me and let me know...I will be eternally grateful...and will extend the same courtesy to you should you pass through Winnipeg sometime....

Cheers

PS - If anyone is wondering, PiffleMaster and I are still an item, but he has some unexpected (but good) business he needs to take care of before he heads out on his big ride with Old Rookie from Ottawa on August 1st...As I am not retired, and have an ambitious tour planned, I am unable to sit back and wait until Tuesday to start out - but I do hope to rendezvous with him in Erinsville.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #8133
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post

Tomorrow morning, rain or shine, I will be heading east from Winnipeg bound for a myriad of adventures between here and Aylesford, Nova Scotia, with scheduled stops in TBay, The Soo, Owen Sound and Erinsville...

The rest of the trip will be a meandering one, largely ridden solo, with a ride on the North Shore of the St. Lawrence, a tour of the Gaspe Peninsula (and a photo op at Perce Rock), and a Cabot Trail/Meat Cove Redux - clockwise this time...and I hope to be camping most of the way.

Should the weather-guessers have an accurate read on tomorrow, however, I am more likely than not going to spend the entire day riding in rain, thunder, and possibly lightening. Although I am carrying camping gear, I am hoping to either hit a mom'n'pop motel or an ADVrider inmate's floor or couch instead of sleeping in a tent after a day of rainy riding.

If anyone in Thunder Bay has any space or recommendations, please PM me and let me know...I will be eternally grateful...and will extend the same courtesy to you should you pass through Winnipeg sometime....

Cheers

PS - If anyone is wondering, PiffleMaster and I are still an item, but he has some unexpected (but good) business he needs to take care of before he heads out on his big ride with Old Rookie from Ottawa on August 1st...As I am not retired, and have an ambitious tour planned, I am unable to sit back and wait until Tuesday to start out - but I do hope to rendezvous with him in Erinsville.
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #8134
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
I went down and looked at the 250 and 500 Hondas today. I like them.
Hey Ron - the Hondas are nice. But this is hottt!!!!!!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...ng-to-america/

The RC390 may be my next bike. 43hp. 330lbs wet. Does that sound like fun or what? I'm in.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #8135
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

The RC390 may be my next bike. 43hp. 330lbs wet. Does that sound like fun or what? I'm in.

Mike
It doesn't look street legal, and i would be worried about getting parts for it.

Nah, I'll stick to the big 4!

P.S. Stopped by your house a few times, but you are never home!

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 06:03 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #8136
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Hot looking bike but I am long past the "hunched over like a dog screwing a football" stage of riding so the sport bike world is not for me. It is a hot looking bike that will be popular with the young guys but I am afraid insuring it may be the eventual issue.

Ever since the spike in gas prices there has been a substantial increase in motorcycle use, and following that, death rates in North America. The greatest numbers were in the 20-25 yr old crowd with the 26-30 following a close second.

The eventual killer of the high speed, race oriented sport bike sales will be the cost to insure them. In Saskatchewan insurance rates went up substantially this year. I have heard sport bikes costing anywhere from 3-5000 a year depending on the age and gender of the driver. Private insurance will follow. I think that is one reason Honda has moved into the lower performance entry level bikes like the 500 and 700 series specifically geared to entry level and basic need user.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #8137
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
Speaking of VBR, it looks like our trip for that time has fell through and Im thinking of doing this, I got some time off before so would make trip out of it but would look forward to meeting some of you there.

Backroader, I think we met at EOAR, I believe we had....shall we say a leisurely stroll from the fire back to the tents with Brian that night......no?

Cheers, Todd
I'm thinkin' this might be a good break as well. Maybe see ya (both) there.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #8138
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Hot looking bike but I am long past the "hunched over like a dog screwing a football" stage of riding so the sport bike world is not for me. It is a hot looking bike that will be popular with the young guys but I am afraid insuring it may be the eventual issue.

Ever since the spike in gas prices there has been a substantial increase in motorcycle use, and following that, death rates in North America. The greatest numbers were in the 20-25 yr old crowd with the 26-30 following a close second.

The eventual killer of the high speed, race oriented sport bike sales will be the cost to insure them. In Saskatchewan insurance rates went up substantially this year. I have heard sport bikes costing anywhere from 3-5000 a year depending on the age and gender of the driver. Private insurance will follow. I think that is one reason Honda has moved into the lower performance entry level bikes like the 500 and 700 series specifically geared to entry level and basic need user.
Following the US gun mentality..."bikes don't go fast, people do"
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #8139
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:

I'm hoping the road-going version will have a bit more of a neutral riding position than the racer version that's shown. Still - 43hp, 375cc, and single-cylinder (based on the 390 Duke) should help to keep the insurance down. It isn't a 120 hp - 600cc inline-4 after all. That it weighs only about 330lbs wet (this is the 390 Duke figure) is what sounds the most promising - for boatloads of fun.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #8140
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 610
I am en route to Aylesford, Nova Scotia to visit a good friend who owns/operates a feta cheese factory there, and will be meandering my way there, visiting people and places along the way - most notable the Gaspe Peninsula, and a clockwise ride of the Cabot Trail, as well as a trip down the hill to Meat Cove...

Yesterday's ride, once it started, was, well, what can you say about the ride from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay? It was boring!!! And about 40% of the time, it was wet, wet, and for the last 250 kms, IT WAS EXTREMELY WET!!!

The highlight of yesterday's ride was pulling into Ron and Sonya's garage, peeling off the clothing (DO NOT TAKE THAT ONE OUT OF CONTEXT, PLEASE), and coming into to a hot pot of tea, a fabulous steak with all the trimmings, and some delightful conversation with my hosts.

And then i CRASHED...and slept like a dead thing....and now i am up, drinking coffee, and mentally prepping to do it all again...

Thank you so very much, Ron and Sonya - it has been wonderful to be able to spend time with you, and I look forward to seeing you again someday...maybe in September at Feliz' end-of-season rally...

I am heading to Sault Ste. Marie for tonight, where I will stay at Dan and Greta's...tomorrow's run will be to Espanola, then ride to Manitoulin Island and head to Tobermory on the ferry (it is the Ride Manitoulin weekend there, I believe). I am going to meet up with Oliver and Michelle Solaro (Bwokentoof of THE Brokentooth Project) and spend a day or so having an adventure with them...

Cheers to all...ride safe...

Will be cross-posting this on the "Winnipeg and Surrounding Area" forum...

Whyswoman screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 05:57 AM
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #8141
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
I'm hoping the road-going version will have a bit more of a neutral riding position than the racer version that's shown. Still - 43hp, 375cc, and single-cylinder (based on the 390 Duke) should help to keep the insurance down. It isn't a 120 hp - 600cc inline-4 after all.
Yes all true, but I had a heck of a time convincing my insurance company that the S in GS on my motorcycle moniker did not stand for "sport".
Quote:
That it weighs only about 330lbs wet (this is the 390 Duke figure) is what sounds the most promising - for boatloads of fun.
That is a lot of pep from a small engine and actually it is good to see the manufacturers setting their sites on this market rather than just another big twin cruiser.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #8142
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Yes all true, but I had a heck of a time convincing my insurance company that the S in GS on my motorcycle moniker did not stand for "sport". ...

Ok, ya made me look it up.
"Gelande Strasse, which is German for “trail and street.”
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #8143
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Dryden_Rider...

Garth, I'll be in Dryden for a bit this afternoon, with the intention of riding home a "new to me" 2002 1150RT.
A year newer than mine, same colour, but with considerably fewer miles and scars.
Give a toot to the fellow on the Burgundy RT with the high viz jacket and no licence plate.
Cheers!
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #8144
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Ok, ya made me look it up.
"Gelande Strasse, which is German for “trail and street.”
Yup, thats is it,

If you want to go for coffee let me know, will PM contact details. Just going to be around the house packing the KLR for my Black Hills trip.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #8145
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Lee

I got Lee to the nearest gas station this morning, and then "ran her out town" !

ZZR_Ron screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 10:32 AM