Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post

Hecto on top of the tunnel

And the tunnel.

What a beautiful day for a ride.
So, it is still blocked up from when I saw it in 2010...must have been a really dry year since no water was flowing thru it!

Thanks for the photos guys!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #8508
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
It was an excellent day for an afternoon ride. Pure KLR bliss....warm, no bugs and beautiful red/orange maples along the road. The poplars are still quite green. Let me know when your plans firm up, I may be up for a ride, I'll check my schedule, pretty sure I got those days off.......

Hektoglider screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 07:18 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #8509
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Great stuff Kari and Rosie! Love the colour. Hope the weather keeps up. I love Fall riding.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #8510
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
After breakfast single track ride. The Sherpa really shines on this type of trail

Old 09-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #8511
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,193
Today's ride...

Nanabijou's WR wasn't in pristine riding form, so we scrapped the Atikokan ride for now. Would not be a happy CBR back in the Steep Rock Mines area!

Instead we opt'd to head for high ground Of course that is code for Fire Tower He hadn't been to the Conmee Tower, so off we headed this morning under sunny skies and rising temps. We made a side stop at an old 3 arch stone bridge that the trains use across the Kam River...most people don't even know it's there and probably don't care either! These Stone arched bridges were built in the mid to late 1800's, although I don't know when this particular one was built.

Stone Railway Bridge

From there, it was a short ride to the road that leads to the tower. This road gets pretty nasty quickly and it wasn't long before Nanabijou was pushing his poor CBR around the deep mud and even shorter before we parked the bikes and headed out on foot! I was surprised at how far he took the CBR up that road

Getting the CBR around the deep mud holes

Fire Tower on the hill in the distance

We were left with a km or so hike into the tower site but it was a decent trail and we made pretty good time! When we arrived at the site, we noticed that there was evidence that this was, like a lot of the other sites, the second tower to built there. There was a lower mount bolted into the bedrock, where one corner of the old tower once stood. We looked around for the other old footings but found none. We could not find any evidence of where the towerman's cabin had been at the site either. The bottom 20' of the ladder has been removed and is almost impossible to climb!

Far as we go

The Tower

From there we headed thru Kakabeka and on over to the old Mount McKay Ski Area. Nanabijou wanted to ski there when he first came to Thunder Bay but found out that it had closed a year or so earlier. I speed skied there back in the mid 1980's, so we had a look around to see what was left at the hill. We found an old chair lift tower with large pulley, some debris and a couple of towers heading up thru the bush where one of the old chair lift's ran. I sure has grown up there in the last 15 years!

The little CBR with the BIG Heart

Remains of the Ski Lift

Mount McKay

From Mount McKay we headed across town to Nanabijou's place for a cold beer out on the front deck, which has an awesome view of the Lake! We covered about 110kms and had a great day...hopefully there's a few more left before the white stuff falls!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 04:32 PM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #8512
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,742
Hey, one day of rain heading your way then some pretty nice stuff after that .
It would be nice to squeeze a couple short trips or one more overniter...
Rugbyrtc and I did a run through Devils Lake and Bismark last fall... A good trip, but a little too much Interstate, had to out run the weather.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #8513
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Looks like many of us are taking advantage of some late season cooperative weather...I added 540 kilometers to the odo on my DR BIG yesterday. From home to Sudbury, south to Grundy Park, (Hwy 522) and east to North Bay. This trip is not too exciting but between Port Loring and Hwy 11 the roads provide lots of twists and good scenery. I added in a "wrong" turn and made my way to the dead end entrance to Restoule Provincial Park. A nice ride of 11 or 12k each way, canopied in fall coloured foliage for part of it.
By myself, I'm always lazy about stopping and taking pic's, (or eating or keeping hydrated as well) but here is one from between Arnstein and Golden Valley.

From North Bay I bucked the wind along Hwy 17 making a stop at the Lake Nipissing look out.

A stop in Sturgeon Falls for half a sub and gas and that was the day.

Today I was out for a quick 120 k over to the Back Settlement...one pic from the shore of Smith Lake on Crab Lake Rd. The gravel was popular today with folks checking out the fall colours I suppose...and driving in the middle of the road at a walking pace

More to come, I hope!

happy riding everyone,

Relic
1976 Yamaha DT400C;1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #8514
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,609
All the bikes are running again. The DR350 just needed a battery, but the DR650 had a bad pickup coil plus the carburetor gummed up from disuse while waiting for parts.

I'll be camping north of Grand Marais again on Oct. 6th, 7th, and 8th. Probably Kimball Lake. We monitor 146.52 Mhz if anybody happens to have radio equipment.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #8515
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Hey Relic, thanks for sharing the photos... We don't see maple here.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #8516
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
All the bikes are running again. The DR350 just needed a battery, but the DR650 had a bad pickup coil plus the carburetor gummed up from disuse while waiting for parts.

I'll be camping north of Grand Marais again on Oct. 6th, 7th, and 8th. Probably Kimball Lake. We monitor 146.52 Mhz if anybody happens to have radio equipment.
Hey Klay, dress warm!!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #8517
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post

Klay - too bad your camping didn't begin on a Saturday. It would be nice for some of us local riders to meet up with you and at least give you some company for one night of camping.

Mike
Old 09-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #8518
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzirelic View Post
Looks like many of us are taking advantage of some late season cooperative weather...I added 540 kilometers to the odo on my DR BIG yesterday. From home to Sudbury, south to Grundy Park, (Hwy 522) and east to North Bay. This trip is not too exciting but between Port Loring and Hwy 11 the roads provide lots of twists and good scenery. I added in a "wrong" turn and made my way to the dead end entrance to Restoule Provincial Park. A nice ride of 11 or 12k each way, canopied in fall coloured foliage for part of it.
By myself, I'm always lazy about stopping and taking pic's, (or eating or keeping hydrated as well) but here is one from between Arnstein and Golden Valley.

From North Bay I bucked the wind along Hwy 17 making a stop at the Lake Nipissing look out.

A stop in Sturgeon Falls for half a sub and gas and that was the day.

Today I was out for a quick 120 k over to the Back Settlement...one pic from the shore of Smith Lake on Crab Lake Rd. The gravel was popular today with folks checking out the fall colours I suppose...and driving in the middle of the road at a walking pace

More to come, I hope!

happy riding everyone,

Relic
Nice photos Relic! I've really wanted to stay at Restoule Park for a while now. I believe there is a lookout there that is a popular hike. Maybe next summer! Good to see you're enjoying the nice weather and taking advantage of it with the DR Big.

Mike
Old 09-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #8519
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Klay - too bad your camping didn't begin on a Saturday. It would be nice for some of us local riders to meet up with you and at least give you some company for one night of camping.

Mike

I was hoping somebody might have Monday off and be interested in camping Sunday night.

Come to think of it, we also monitor one of the Grand Marais repeaters, 147.36 with a positive offset and tone of 114.8.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #8520
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Damn! I missed a fire tower ride!

I'll probably go out and check out Feliz's camp to see if I dropped my GPS there somewhere...It will make for a nice little CBR ride, maybe next Wednesday if the weather permits.