Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #8551
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Great stuff Rob ! I might have missed both you and Ron, but I did bump into Steve. We must all have the same mindset: get out riding before the bad weather hits.
Here's the ride I did:
It's good to see everyone getting out for those " bonus " fall rides.
I took the KLR out for a pretty good ride. I figure with the weekend forecast looking grim I better get out. So Wednesday I headed east and at Kakabekka I bumped into Steve(OFAP) unexpectedly. I was just about to begin the scenic tour south of there, and I didn't need to coax him much to tag along for an hours worth of great fall riding.

We went past the oak ridge near Harstone and came out at 595, taking it south through Hymers cresting the high point before arriving at South Gillies.

We turned east on the 608 and enjoyed the great fall riding, lots of yellow poplars, no bugs, and no traffic . It's been a while since I have been down here and my recollection of the routes was not very good.

Steve peeled away to head north where I headed south on 597 to Pardee and then Larson road.

Popping out on hwy 61 I ran south to get on 593/ Devon road.

I scored a chicken that flew up into the side of the KLR on my way up the Pardee road.

I took the cloud lake road back out to hwy 61 and then into Thunder Bay for the night at my bros place.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 01:51 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #8552
Hektoglider
One with Life

The next day I headed back down into the scenic roads for an extra 100km of great backroad riding.

Taking the Palisades, Nolalu, Hymers roads, back past the oak ridge that Steve showed me yesterday

I just love riding these rural backroads ! Hopefully next time we can all go at once eh.

Along the palisades...

Old house picture....

If your boat motor no longer runs...it can be a mailbox.

Nolalu

Oak ridge

A stop at the falls

And the height of land

The base of the sign is all amethyst stones

Maybe when the weather clears next week it will be good going again.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #8553
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,748
Seeing your photos brings back old memories of riding to those areas on the not so trusty 1973 F9... ( 350 Kaw, 2 stroke, for those not familiar with that model)
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #8554
BackRoader
Heading There Next

The forecast for the Peg looks good week, maybe an extended run into Nortwestern Ontario is on order. Anyone want to meet up for a day or two?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #8555
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,195
Didn't know you where riding in the area Hekto! Glad you got out for the nice days!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #8556
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
The forecast for the Peg looks good week, maybe an extended run into Nortwestern Ontario is on order. Anyone want to meet up for a day or two?
Might be up for a ride depending on the days and weather. We'll keep watch on the weather for next week!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #8557
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Excellent photos Kari!!!! How is it that everyone meets up with Old Fart At Play?!? Does he ever sleep?!?!

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #8558
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Excellent photos Kari!!!! How is it that everyone meets up with Old Fart At Play?!? Does he ever sleep?!?!

Mike
Of course he doesn't, he is busy being an Old Fart at Play...who needs sleep?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #8559
Hektoglider
One with Life

Looking back at all the great rides and places the motorcycle has been.....
What is the " best " ride?

The next one!

Weekday run maybe after the weather clears. If i come ride more of the roads south of Kak, itll be Mon aft/Tues or Wed aft/ Thurs am...a weekend run isn't out of the question .Gotta get out fishing too...
Lappeman you have days off? Ron's back to the mine...? We won't ask OFAP because he will already be out on the road, we can meet up with him ! Next run we should meet for lunch then do an afternoon ride. Even a couple hour ride..(..& stop for lunch?)
I can't make any def plans but throwing it out there. Last time I never said nothing and everyone was out ripping around.....
I know the next nice weather will have some riding days pencilled in...

Hektoglider screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 01:26 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #8560
Hektoglider
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
I will be doing a repeat of last weeks ride with some variation. Monday- overnight tbay -Tuesday return.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #8561
BackRoader
Heading There Next

I am up for a run to Northwestern Ontario and or even to Ely for an overniter... Or two!!! The weather looks like it will hold, who's in?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #8562
Hektoglider
One with Life

Ride eat sleep repeat

I enjoyed the last run so much, I think I will do a repeat run with some variation.
The weather looks good for a Monday/ Tuesday adventure and with winter fast approaching I need to squeeze in these crucial miles before we are all stuck looking at the screen and waiting for spring to arrive. Every ride now will help postpone the winter blues, so to speak.

Maybe an ADV Riders supper get together Monday night? Fish Tacos this time I think. Tuesday lunch instead ?
Either way, Tuesday afternoon I plan to ride about 100-150 km of nice rural riding, and pop out on the main highway near Kakabekka , then head west. This riding likely will be south of the city, but I am not opposed to riding elsewhere north, possibly the Flett tunnel and out to the highway there.

My rear tire is bald, and the front non DOT knobbie is not the best for extended pavement runs. I am going to harvest a set of wheels from one of the other KLR's laying around here, to finish the riding season without buying tires. I have a 16T front sprocket on already, great for the highway, not so for the single track .

during the weekdays there might not be many who can come along, but I can have a meetup spot agreed upon for Tuesday riding.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #8563
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

This week's rides...

If the weather is good like it's forecasted to be on Monday, Ron and I will be doing a 3 Fire Tower tour up to Graham on the pavement and back on the backroads. With a little hiking thrown in...so I can eat more chips when I get home

After that, it's a crap shoot! I could get called to work and I also have a backhoe and some gravel showing up mid-week and material to finish the garage is also on order...so any rides will probably be last minute.

Supposed to be a nice week...so far
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 10-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #8564
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,034
The weather looks good for tomorrow....it is crappy out there right now, though!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #8565
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Thursday Nite!!! The Mad House!!! I will be there !!!