ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #8626
nofate
what blackflies?
 
nofate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chapleau, ON
Oddometer: 2,813
Doesn't the BMW have an oil drain plug?

I hope you used the turkey baster on your turkey before changing your oil.

I have everything ready for the pre winter sleep oil change, but I hope to do a bit more riding first.
__________________
Rick, Chapleau, ON
Triumph Scrambler 900
Honda Trail CT90

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #8627
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Doesn't the BMW have an oil drain plug?

I hope you used the turkey baster on your turkey before changing your oil.

I have everything ready for the pre winter sleep oil change, but I hope to do a bit more riding first.
I got chased south on or around the 12-15th of November last year, so I figure we've got a bit of time yet.
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #8628
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Hum, as I mentioned previously, this wasn't my best year for riding by far. But I did have some fun.

May I went to SE Ohio (the roads suck! stay away!)

Sorry, I didn't take many pics, I was to busy being bored as shit on the roads down there. I did snap this one on I79 at a rest stop in PA. Jimbo's VFR, my FJR


June found me at CFR, the Canadian FJR Rally in Huntsville, where my FJR rolled over a 100,000 miles on the trip.


Also got to sit on the first FZ-09 in Canada (serial #: SAMPLE).


July I lost my mind and got a huge wailing bonor for a new bike. But I didn't go anywhere except to Mississauga for the Level 2 Lee Parks Course.


Lee Parks Level 2


August our trip to WV/VA/TN was cancelled. Shit.

September I went on my first organized dual sport ride at the Calabogie Boogie. Awesome time!


Video of us doing some of the technical sections of the Boogie.
http://vimeo.com/74167186

My GF and I went to North Carolina for the Eastern Owners Meet. Had to Ride the Dragon and Cherohala because we were so close. But LOTS of good riding down there.


On the Cherohala with fellow inmate Huron52 in the background


Then this past weekend it was in the mid-20's for I took my gf out for a late season colour ride to Temiscaming QC. The colours were way past but we stopped at the Subway in the Rail Car and found this directly across the road. What a great ride.


From now until the bike gets put away it'll just be local rides. I'm in the middle of packing to move so my weekends are basically spoken for. Shit.
Great little report Steve! Nice photos too! Hey - the FZ-09 photo - was that taken at Sir Sam's Ski Area near Huntsville? It looks like a ski hill in the background.....

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #8629
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Doesn't the BMW have an oil drain plug?

I hope you used the turkey baster on your turkey before changing your oil.

I have everything ready for the pre winter sleep oil change, but I hope to do a bit more riding first.

Oh yes, it has an oil change plug, for the DRY sump. All you need is a #27 Torx, a 5 mm Allen key, a #30 Torx, and a 24 mm socket , and you're good to go!

Follow this up with the #20 Torx for the oil filter,(this is after you remove the chain cover, have a #20 torx, and an extension bar ready) the "special drain tool" to remove the last of the oil from there...and a chance to either tear half the bike apart, or use a turkey baster to remove the oil from the wet sump, up top....

Now, just simply re-assemble, and follow up with 2 litres of BMW snake oil, which appears to be 10W-40 to the rest of the world. Run the bike for 2 minutes, then top up with said snake oil. Kill the snake now, it may hold a secret. Throw the rest of the oil out, it will taint from the touch of non-Teutonic hands.

Oh, and fix all the stripped bolts along the way. It appears that Doctors cannot remove any given bolt without severe head strippage. Thank you previous owner! I will also repair the horrid job you tried to do which involved electricity. Please do not wire your house, as we do not care for the removal of burnt carcasses.

That is all.

OIL CHANGE ON KLR:

Place bike on sidesand.

Find appropriate sized Rock to balance bike, or give Friend enough beer to shut up.

Check siteglass.

Looks good, ride on.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #8630
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Oh yes, it has an oil change plug, for the DRY sump. All you need is a #27 Torx, a 5 mm Allen key, a #30 Torx, and a 24 mm socket , and you're good to go!

Follow this up with the #20 Torx for the oil filter,(this is after you remove the chain cover, have a #20 torx, and an extension bar ready) the "special drain tool" to remove the last of the oil from there...and a chance to either tear half the bike apart, or use a turkey baster to remove the oil from the wet sump, up top....

Now, just simply re-assemble, and follow up with 2 litres of BMW snake oil, which appears to be 10W-40 to the rest of the world. Run the bike for 2 minutes, then top up with said snake oil. Kill the snake now, it may hold a secret. Throw the rest of the oil out, it will taint from the touch of non-Teutonic hands.

Oh, and fix all the stripped bolts along the way. It appears that Doctors cannot remove any given bolt without severe head strippage. Thank you previous owner! I will also repair the horrid job you tried to do which involved electricity. Please do not wire your house, as we do not care for the removal of burnt carcasses.

That is all.

OIL CHANGE ON KLR:

Place bike on sidesand.

Find appropriate sized Rock to balance bike, or give Friend enough beer to shut up.

Check siteglass.

Looks good, ride on.
Hey Ron - I wonder how much easier changing the oil would be on the Ninja 300? Have you thought about putting the Dakar up for sale?

P.S. - We need to go to the Madhouse - or at least do something on Friday....

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #8631
bungie4
Frostback
 
bungie4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Sudbury Ontario
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Great little report Steve! Nice photos too! Hey - the FZ-09 photo - was that taken at Sir Sam's Ski Area near Huntsville? It looks like a ski hill in the background.....
You and your ski hills

I'm not sure, it was in the parking lot of the Hidden Valley Resort (low rent version the Deerhurst). I seem to remember a ski lift just down the road.
__________________
-Steve

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #8632
bungie4
Frostback
 
bungie4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Sudbury Ontario
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
OIL CHANGE ON KLR:

Place bike on sidesand.

Find appropriate sized Rock to balance bike, or give Friend enough beer to shut up.

Check siteglass.

Looks good, ride on.
My FJR's.

Remove 6mm nut holding on the a bit of the lower fairing. Remove drain plug. Remove spin on oil filter. Replace oil filter. Replace on drain plug. Fill with oil. Total time, about 15 minutes. Hell, I do it on long trips in Walmart parking lots. But it takes a little longer because I go in and buy a drain pan, then dispose of the oil in the service area.

Mind you, doing it in a Walmart parking lot tends to draw Walmart customers around you to see what you're doing. Not good.

On the CRFL:
Remove drain plug. Drain oil (all 1 quart of it). Install drain plug. Fill with oil. Changing the filter involves drinking enough beer to completely sap your strength first. The 4 bolts holding on the filter cover are made from crushed Yugo's. Looking at them sternly will break them. So I don't bother with it anymore.
__________________
-Steve

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #8633
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
My FJR's.

Remove 6mm nut holding on the a bit of the lower fairing. Remove drain plug. Remove spin on oil filter. Replace oil filter. Replace on drain plug. Fill with oil. Total time, about 15 minutes. Hell, I do it on long trips in Walmart parking lots. But it takes a little longer because I go in and buy a drain pan, then dispose of the oil in the service area.

Mind you, doing it in a Walmart parking lot tends to draw Walmart customers around you to see what you're doing. Not good.

On the CRFL:
Remove drain plug. Drain oil (all 1 quart of it). Install drain plug. Fill with oil. Changing the filter involves drinking enough beer to completely sap your strength first. The 4 bolts holding on the filter cover are made from crushed Yugo's. Looking at them sternly will break them. So I don't bother with it anymore.
he


That's the oil change on the Honda. Remove oil plug. Drain . Put oil plug back in. Pour in 1 litre oil. Done.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #8634
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,006
Yes Nanabijou, we will do something to offset the horrible Friday weather.

It may involve copious amounts of undefined liquids, followed by a lack of vertical functionality....
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #8635
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,689
Wow quite the process

Our BMW twins are a lot easier than that. If I did not have a bash plate on it I could do an oil change in a couple minutes.

Warm bike
Remove torx bolt from lower left side and allow oil to drain, replace bolt when done
Remove spin on filter from front of engine and replace (be sure old rubber gasket came off with old filter)
Pour in 2.9 litres of your favorite juice
Start, check for leaks take short test ride
Done, repeat in 5000 km ( manual says 10,000)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Oh yes, it has an oil change plug, for the DRY sump. All you need is a #27 Torx, a 5 mm Allen key, a #30 Torx, and a 24 mm socket , and you're good to go!

Follow this up with the #20 Torx for the oil filter,(this is after you remove the chain cover, have a #20 torx, and an extension bar ready) the "special drain tool" to remove the last of the oil from there...and a chance to either tear half the bike apart, or use a turkey baster to remove the oil from the wet sump, up top....

Now, just simply re-assemble, and follow up with 2 litres of BMW snake oil, which appears to be 10W-40 to the rest of the world. Run the bike for 2 minutes, then top up with said snake oil. Kill the snake now, it may hold a secret. Throw the rest of the oil out, it will taint from the touch of non-Teutonic hands.

Oh, and fix all the stripped bolts along the way. It appears that Doctors cannot remove any given bolt without severe head strippage. Thank you previous owner! I will also repair the horrid job you tried to do which involved electricity. Please do not wire your house, as we do not care for the removal of burnt carcasses.

That is all.

OIL CHANGE ON KLR:

Place bike on sidesand.

Find appropriate sized Rock to balance bike, or give Friend enough beer to shut up.

Check siteglass.

Looks good, ride on.
__________________
"Its better for everybody, when it gets better for everyone".
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2003 KL250 Super Sherpa Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #8636
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
he


That's the oil change on the Honda. Remove oil plug. Drain . Put oil plug back in. Pour in 1 litre oil. Done.
Yup!!!!

My 1200 GS is pretty simple, removing the skid plate is the only time consuming part of the job. I hear KTMs are pain in the ass to do.
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #8637
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Wow quite the process

Our BMW twins are a lot easier than that. If I did not have a bash plate on it I could do an oil change in a couple minutes.

Warm bike
Remove torx bolt from lower left side and allow oil to drain, replace bolt when done
Remove spin on filter from front of engine and replace (be sure old rubber gasket came off with old filter)
Pour in 2.9 litres of your favorite juice
Start, check for leaks take short test ride
Done, repeat in 5000 km ( manual says 10,000)
Sure, rub it in, Garth...


I'm not riding the Beemer again, I might have to change the oil then...
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #8638
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Murillo & Pass Lake, Ontario
Oddometer: 165
Well now that we have an oil thread going....my two cents. 1971 Triumph Bonneville oil change. Ride bike 100 miles, add 1/4 litre 20W/50 oil. Repeat 8 times, oil change is now complete. No filter to replace, oil is automatically self-draining. This is why the Brits won the war and the Germans lost.
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #8639
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart At Play View Post
Well now that we have an oil thread going....my two cents. 1971 Triumph Bonneville oil change. Ride bike 100 miles, add 1/4 litre 20W/50 oil. Repeat 8 times, oil change is now complete. No filter to replace, oil is automatically self-draining. This is why the Brits won the war and the Germans lost.
You forgot about the 6 rebuilds during that time frame.

EDIT: BTW, the RAM mounts work great!
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #8640
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,415
Actually, Garth makes it sound even tougher than it is.
My system differs.
Ride bike to Tim Horton's to warm old oil.
Ride home.
Hob nob with neighbour's hot daughter over coffee while bike cools.
Slide oil pan under bike.
Sip coffee.
Admire neighbour's daughter's ass sets.
Remove dip stick.
Place left foot on wrench to apply enough torque to get the aforementioned oil plug from drain hole.
Sip coffee.
Comment on weather.
Remove filter. Allow filter to fall into oil pan.
Allow bike to "bleed".
Sip coffee.
Replace drain plug.
Replace filter, after pouring a little new oil into it.
Add 3 litres of yummy Mobil 1.
Spark up and check for leaks.
Test ride, with neighbour's hot daughter hanging on like a three toed sloth on a windy day.
That's it.
I think I should make an instructional video.....
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014