User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #1
AZdirtRiDeR OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
KX500 & CR500 Dual-Sport Home

I've been riding toys for the last few years with a monster street bike. I've finally had enough of the little dirt bikes and am bringing home my first KX500 on Sunday!!!

There are a few other sites out there specifically for KX500 & CR500, but I want to turn mine into a dual-sport.

First thing I'll be doing is parking the paddle and putting on knobbies.

Second thing is buying a spare set of wheels and putting dual-sport tires on them.

Best of both worlds: Street & Dirt with the MONSTER KX500
AZdirtRiDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
AZdirtRiDeR OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
My last dirtbike was a plated KX500 , the novelty wore off quickly with having to carry oil with me or fill up at home. My uncorked XR650R is faster/quicker/less vibby and uses less fuel. The KX however was a bit quicker on pavement, but barely. Also make sure you are VERY gentle to the crankcase oil drain plug on that monster, kawasaki uses very soft aluminum and you can VERY easily rip the threads out of the drain.

That being said I still want another 500, they are a blast to own, but not for my main dirtbike. If I find a nice deal on a used CR500 I may grab it and toss a plate and lights on it for giggles.
I didn't like the weight of the KLR or the XR 650... AT 50lbs less the CR & KX both sound good to me. Especially with a big bore kit :)
Old 11-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
AZdirtRiDeR OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
Have you actually had the chance to try either? The abruptness of power delivery and vibrations will more than cancel out the weight savings in terms of getting fatigued.
Yup, and I'm bringing her home Sunday kx500 SaaaWEEEET.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
I passed on the CR500 and the KX500, and got myself a '95 KTM 550 M/XC. It's relatively smooth in the vibration department, has absolutely HUGE power, and that power delivery is quite smooth and manageable for a big bore 60+ HP brute.

I just finished redoing the whole chassis, including swapping out the old Marzocchi forks for a set of WP4860's. I am running '03+ Excel hub/wheels and other modern amenities from late model KTM cast-off part bins. Emig Racing billet clamps from an LC4 and a steering damper also are on there now. Handles great.

My dual sport plan is pretty simple. The SEM stator has a 130 watt coil already built in, so I'm just going to run simple AC electrics and an aerosol horn, as there's no inspections in rural TN.

I have a couple XR650's and very much doubt that either could run with the power of the 550, at least until it became a high speed run. The XR's would pull away then, when the KTM 550 ran out of gas. I think it gets about 20mpg when I'm easy on it.

Have fun. These big two strokes are the last of their kind. You'll not see them again in this form. The CR is a little simpler being that there's no powervalve, but both the CR and KX are big, powerful and bulletproof bikes that love gas.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe

I have a couple XR650's and very much doubt that either could run with the power of the 550, at least until it became a high speed run. The XR's would pull away then, when the KTM 550 ran out of gas. I think it gets about 20mpg when I'm easy on it.

WOW You have the Awesomest Bikes EVER

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
AZdirtRiDeR OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I passed on the CR500 and the KX500, and got myself a '95 KTM 550 M/XC.

Have fun. These big two strokes are the last of their kind. You'll not see them again in this form. The CR is a little simpler being that there's no powervalve, but both the CR and KX are big, powerful and bulletproof bikes that love gas.
Never liked the price tag of the KTM and repairs seem a bit more than Honda or Kaw, but I guess if I could "afford" the bike, then the maintenance wouldn't matter.

And yes, the gas consumption is a problem for a true "dual-sport". I'm already thinking of mounting a very small bracket for an antifreeze sized container for fuel :) 20mpg sounds about right - SUCKS.

The other issue is still the weight for me. I've taken a KLR single tracking and it was just plain heavy. The KX with it's power to weight just doesn't "feel" as heavy.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #7
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
I have dual sported some 2 strokes before and here are some things to consider; the bike wasnt meant to go long distances at constant RPM and you will be going through top ends fairly quickly. Second, while the light weight is certainly beneficial off road; (my KTM 625 is no single tracker), onroad the weight is beneficial however and gives it a solid feel on road. Regular knobbies on the road arent really safe and certainly not DOT approved. A good choice if you still go this route are the Continental TKC 80s or Metzler Karoos. They make a big honking rear tire perfect for all that power if you can shoehorn it in your swingarm. OTher than that, have at it
5 speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
You might actually be surprised about the fuel mileage if you gear it up enough. I have never ridden my 500's on the street enough to measure fuel mileage, but off road or MX I used less fuel in my CR500's than on my 125's or 250's.

That said, right now I have two dual sports, my plated CR250R and a DR250. The CR is drastically lighter and more powerful but I'd much rather ride the DR on the street. The CR just vibs too much and doesn't have the gearing to go very fast (even with +1F and -2R).

One thing to note on the CR500 is that they tend to break pistons, the stockers are cast and the skirts tend to crack and break off in fairly short order. Something about the design of the combustion chamber contributes to some weird forces on it according to the local engine guy. Anyway, even with the stock squish and all I had no problems with a wiseco piston in mine.

good luck

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
bigwavedave1
n00b

that sounds awesome. I have an '01 CR500 for my dirtbike and an '01 uncorked XR650R with a supermoto setup for the street. All I can think about when riding the 650 is how fun the CR would be in supermoto setup for ripping around town. It would never fly here in British Columbia. The fun police would be on you right away. (too loud, too this, too that) Might be hard on the licence as well. Good luck and have fun.
bigwavedave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #10
ponq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
My CR500 has a plate on the way, but the lights aren't on it right now. I bought it with a street title, but untill I get some decent lights, it's staying on the dirt. It is a blast.
I'm not sure about the spelling but I believe supermotojunkie.com has a lot of information on plating big bore 2 strokes in various regions of the US.
1998 CR125R (in pieces)
1991 CR500
ponq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
plates anyone? http://www.atkusa.com/ProductsIntimidator.aspx
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,530
Anyone here had any experience with the gearbox ? Any mods ? Wide Ratio or smart fixes ?

Lost 5th gear in mine the other day, Suspect its to dog part of the cog that has let go and the teeth are fine. Also noted that 5th gear is the dearest on the parts fiche.

Heres my old dunnga.

www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post

I think it gets about 20mpg when I'm easy on it.

I raced hare scrambles on KX 500s. I got about 10mpg during a race.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,784
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php <, but i havent heard from him in awhile his handle s/b danger4you or danger something