User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Xfool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
TE610 Clutch Cable

The TE610 clutch cable makes a sharp 60 degree turn into mounting bracket on the engine case. The sharp turn kinked the housing on my cable ultimately causing the cable to fray and break at about 4,000 miles.

Barnett makes clutch cables and was willing to adapted a cable off of a metric cruiser for the Husky. The cable has a ridged 60 degree bend at the mount point (Barnett refers to this as a 120 degree bend). The rigid bend should keep the cable from breaking at the turn again.

My bars are raised 2" over stock and the stock cable housing was OK on my bike. Since Barnett was making a custom cable I had them add an extra 1/4" to the cable core length to make installation a little easier. The added length gives 5 1/2" of free cable.
Attached Images

Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Xfool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Barnett Clutch Cable

The Barnett cable core is nylon coated and the cable house Teflon lined.

An unexpected problem: The stock husky cable end has an OD of about 0.31. The Barnett cable has a really nice cable end with an OD of 0.31, in theory a perfect fit. But the receiver on the clutch perch has an ID of 0.36, never really noticed the slop before because the receiver is really deep. The shoulder on the Barnett cable end won’t let the cable go in that deep so the slop is more noticeable. I put a brass shim on the cable end to snug it up. Now that we know, Barnett has a larger cable end that will match up with the 0.36 receiver diameter. Measure the clutch perch reciever and let Barnett know when you order one.

As is the cable lines up OK and I don’t think its going to rub on anything that will fray it. We’ll have to wait for a couple thousand clutch pulls and see how it turns out.
Attached Images

Xfool screwed with this post 12-29-2006 at 09:39 AM
Old 11-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Xfool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Spare Cable Core

After breaking my cable I found gaspipe's advice "carry a peddley bike cable core as a spare". That was good advice ...... but to late for me. Barnett sent this nylon cased cable core as a spare along with a couple of cool cable clamps which might just get me, or someone else, home after the next cable failure.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Xfool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ridged Bend

Quality of the Barnett cable seems to be the real deal. The housing and cable are quite a bit stiffer than stock. The stiffer cable gives more free-play in the clutch adjustment, something the through-out bearing will appreciate. We'll see how stiff it is after it breaks in.

Some hoopla from the Barnett web site:
Barnett "High Efficiency" clutch cables can reduce clutch lever effort up to 40%! These new "HE" cables feature a nylon coated inner wire and when combined with our HDPE inner liner and silicone lube, result in an ultra smooth cable action and less lever effort.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Xfool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed Pic

Fortuitously the ridged bend clutch cable housing lines up OK with the break reservoir. I was prepared to reposition the reservoir, but the whole thing jammed together pretty much like stock.

Barnett "saved the plans" for the cable so if you are looking for a TE610 clutch cable you might want to give them a shot. For rev2 I think the angle should be increased from 120 to something like 115 degrees, the bend moved closer to the mount and the cable end diameter spiffed up a bit to match the clutch perch. OK as is just a couple of improvements for the pedantic web slaves.

Barnett (Mark)
2238 Palma Dr
Ventura, CA 93003
(805) 642-9435

TE610 clutch cable w/spare core: $58 + shipping.

Barnett no longer retails these cables and they want you to order through your local dealer. If you hate going to your local honda dealer to order parts for your husky you may be able to order the cable through http://www.cyclebrakes.com. They are also in Ventura, CA and do allot of business selling Galfer break pads.
Attached Images

Xfool screwed with this post 08-28-2007 at 04:06 PM
Old 11-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Nice Post.
Added to index.

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
Thanks

Good information Xfool, thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Xfool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have about 3,000 miles on this cable now and I have to say, for as much as you could expect from a clutch cable, it really is a nice improvement. The pull is smoother and the housing more rigid. The rigid housing gives me ¼” free play in the clutch and a whole lot less the clutch plate drag when stopped. Neutral is much easier to find at a stop light.

Here is the down side. With the smooth pull you can really feel the clutch springs if you try and hold the clutch through a stop light cycle.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
(this thread deserves a bump)

thought a better cable might give a smoother pull and help finding neutral,
so I followed Xfool’s lead and ordered a Barnett.

when I removed the OEM cable I was surprised to find that it was already beginning to fray at the clutch end at ~1k miles
this is the same place Xfool’s cable failed at 4k miles.

the lower end was also kinked in two place near the cable stop.

good news is that Barnett listened to Xfool and made the clutch cable end button the same size as the OEM end button – it fits well.
However, they could still make the bend on the cable stop tube a bit sharper to bring the cable closer to the cases.

first test ride showed a clear improvement! thanks for the tip, Cal!
can now find neutral when stopped (but requires pulling lever in fully - not possible with just two fingers).

levity screwed with this post 05-10-2007 at 10:52 AM
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Levity,

Thanks for the bump, I just placed my order. I'm at ~3400 miles so I figured I'd be proactive and install the new cable now and leave the OEM one plumbed in for redundancy / backup.

Thanks also to Xfool for the beta testing and legwork!

One question, I spoke to Mark about the ferrel (sp?) diameter (0.31" vs. 0.36") and he said he's been sending out cables at 0.31". I'm a little unclear why you wrote the 0.36" is the diameter to ask for. Is that because of the plastic sleeve on the OEM cable? I ordered the 0.31" ferrel but now I'm wondering if I should call back and make it 0.36"

Thanks again
'81 Husqvarna 250XC
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Svart
...is swedish for black

Oddometer: 302
Thanks a lot for writing about this! I´ll have a look at my bike tomorrow and se how it looks at the -07.
(Haven´t bought it yet, will do that tomorrow :) )
Old 05-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Wow, a frayed cable at 1000 miles is pretty scary!

I love my bike so much more with that Barnett it's not even funny! Finding neutral is no longer an issue. And it has a MUCH better feel (yes you will FEEL the difference). I don't even work for them.

I did get mine a couple of inches longer than stock to compensate for my massive PT Enduro ape hangers and Travis P high bars though.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #13
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
Wow, a frayed cable at 1000 miles is pretty scary!

I love my bike so much more with that Barnett it's not even funny! Finding neutral is no longer an issue. And it has a MUCH better feel (yes you will FEEL the difference). I don't even work for them.

I did get mine a couple of inches longer than stock to compensate for my massive PT Enduro ape hangers and Travis P high bars though.
So did you ask for Two more inches or do you have a total length? I am thinking of going with a similar control setup as you...tia

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #14
Xfool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted West
Levity,

Thanks for the bump, I just placed my order. I'm at ~3400 miles so I figured I'd be proactive and install the new cable now and leave the OEM one plumbed in for redundancy / backup.

Thanks also to Xfool for the beta testing and legwork!

One question, I spoke to Mark about the ferrel (sp?) diameter (0.31" vs. 0.36") and he said he's been sending out cables at 0.31". I'm a little unclear why you wrote the 0.36" is the diameter to ask for. Is that because of the plastic sleeve on the OEM cable? I ordered the 0.31" ferrel but now I'm wondering if I should call back and make it 0.36"

Thanks again
Two things here (look at the pic in post #2). There is a cable housing end with a stepped shoulder and a button on the end of the cable core.

The cable housing end needs a diameter of 0.36” to mate up with the adjuster cup on the clutch perch.

The button on the cable core fits OK and doesn’t need the plastic sleeve of the stock cable.

Something to consider, I have my bars raised about 2”. The stock housing length I used is OK when the cable is routed underneath and between the handle bar mounts. If you have a steering stabilizer you will need a longer cable to route around the stabilizer.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Dan,

PM me with your email and I'll send you the drawing that Joe Snell from Barnett sent me. The casing length is standard 37.5 inches. I ended up going with 39 or 39.5...I can't quite remember. Either will make it though with a tall bar setup. I'll try to see if I can post it too.

If you need to talk to someone at Barnett just ask for Joe Snell (805-642-9435). He knows the Husky setup well. Diagram below.

Lee

husky123 screwed with this post 05-11-2007 at 08:33 AM
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote