Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #31
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,741
This is great stuff... It would be a fine addition to the HoW if Be-sMiiten is agreeable.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #32
Gonz
BMW Bike Bum

Oddometer: 756
Neat post, thanks heaps for taking the time to share!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #33
BlkAtak
BlkAtak

Oddometer: 12
2000 1100 Rt

my cousin had his tranny go out completely on his bike and had it replaced. dealer said its a common flaw... he got it replaced and got a year warranty on the new one. he'll be getting rid of the bike with the warranty is up and getting something new. sorry
BlkAtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #34
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Other than the bearing.....

the rest of the trans looks to be in pretty good shape.....

its possible your box started out life with a problematic bearing??

shame, but always possible....

I think I will check my magnetic plug next time....dropping the exhaust system is not all that hard.....it will give me a reason to take off the center stand and give it a complete lube/rebuild.....

Thanks for the complete description....

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #35
bemiiten OP
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
This is great stuff... It would be a fine addition to the HoW if Be-sMiiten is agreeable.

JJ
Sounds good! But were not in the clear yet. If I screw up ,it could turn out to be the HoW NoT to do it This is only my second transmission job and my first on a beemer , so I am no expert by any stretch.
I spent some time thinking if I should take the transmission shafts to a dealer and have them swap the bearings. After careful consideration, I ordered a shop press and a bearing separator kit. Also in the works will be a way to drive the seals home properly, penny tech style.
I will post a update when the parts & tools arrive.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #36
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

I've been involved with several tranny rebuilds. They were all on airheads but the basics are the same. That isn't to say there won't be specific differences... One, if not the most signifigent aspect of tranny rebuilding is getting the shimming done properly. We developed a method where we dialed in a tranny and the differences are amazing. Most won't/don't want to go to the trouble/time spent to get this one aspect 'just right' but when you do the tranny shifts like a japanese gear box. Well actually like a german box with the snick-snickability of the japanese xmissions.

I can wait till the project is 'done' before we immoralize it for all posterity

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
Sounds good! But were not in the clear yet. If I screw up ,it could turn out to be the HoW NoT to do it This is only my second transmission job and my first on a beemer , so I am no expert by any stretch.
I spent some time thinking if I should take the transmission shafts to a dealer and have them swap the bearings. After careful consideration, I ordered a shop press and a bearing separator kit. Also in the works will be a way to drive the seals home properly, penny tech style.

WingMakers.com
Old 12-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #37
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,354
Quote:
[INDENT]
You are also very modest. You are demonstrating tremendous mechanical aptitude.

This is my first BMW and I have never had the rear end off it. If it is ever necessary, I will do it. What little I know I about working on bikes I have learned by getting myself in over my head.

Quote:

That's the right attitude. You've been successful in disassembly and diagnosing the problem might as well see it through to the conclusion yourself. You have already saved close to a thousand dollars in labor. Whats a couple hundred in tools. Here's to your successful conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #38
bemiiten OP
League of Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
I've been involved with several tranny rebuilds. They were all on airheads but the basics are the same. That isn't to say there won't be specific differences... One, if not the most signifigent aspect of tranny rebuilding is getting the shimming done properly. We developed a method where we dialed in a tranny and the differences are amazing. Most won't/don't want to go to the trouble/time spent to get this one aspect 'just right' but when you do the tranny shifts like a japanese gear box. Well actually like a german box with the snick-snickability of the japanese xmissions.

I can wait till the project is 'done' before we immoralize it for all posterity

JJ
My plan for shimming consists of carefully measuring the assembled length of the existing shafts. After the bearings are removed , I will compare them to the new ones as well. This should hopefully result in me being abel to match the same size that came out.
One big assumption here is that they were shimmed properly to begin with!
This is uncharted territory for me so any knowledge or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all for your encouragement and kind comments.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #39
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
My plan for shimming consists of carefully measuring the assembled length of the existing shafts. After the bearings are removed , I will compare them to the new ones as well. This should hopefully result in me being abel to match the same size that came out.
This is uncharted territory for me so any knowledge or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Plastic gauge is what I used on an airhead transmission. Don't forget to include the gasket thickness (or use a gasket when you measure).
Old 12-03-2006, 07:26 AM   #40
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
I have not rebuilt any BMW transmissions but have done a few Japanese transmissions.

The main difference I see is that the bearings are pressed on the the shafts and interference fit into the cases.

When installing new bearings into the cases I always put the bearings in the freezor over night and usually they just drop into the cases.

For installing the bearings on the trasmission shaft I would put the entire assy in the freezor over night. Then find a socket that matches the inner race on the bearing and heat it red hot on the stove. put the hot socket on the inner race for a minute then pull the shaft assy out of the freezor and the bearing should slide right on.

If you need to extract any blind side bearings from the trasmission cases Snap-On makes a blind side bearing puller.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #41
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

While the original shimming will still be close, changing the bearings will usually change the shimming measurement. If you want to use our method, try this. At room temperature make your measurements (write them down). Then freeze the tranny parts and re-measure the shimming dimensions while really cold. Then heat the parts up to say 200 degrees F and measure them again.

Then determine the range of the shims from cold to hot. From here you can either split the difference or weight the shim dimension more towards the hot side (where the tranny usually operates)...

It's a bunch of extra work but if you nail it, the tranny will shift like butta.

JJ

Quote:
snip

WingMakers.com
Old 12-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #42
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Eh?

I own a 05 1200gs that does the same thing. I heard Getrag transmission does that all the time.

I double check with another GS at my dealer. Same noise. Whenever you put the bike on central stand with the wheel engaged and spinning in the back.

This noise could be reduced with thicker oil.
But I agrree it does not soung healhty ...
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #43
bemiiten OP
League of Adventures

The parts have arrived from Chicago BMW 3 weeks after I placed the order. Excellent turn around IMO. I had one (front) intermediate shaft bearing that was clearly bad and a leaking input shaft seal. The other two front bearings also show sings of overheating with the output shaft bearing discolored as bad as the intermediate, but turning smoothly. I decided to replace all six.
I set up a dial indicator to measure the overall length of the assembled intermediate shaft. I get repeatable results with this method. I also used a digital caliper to measure overall length ,but found the results to be too varied to fully trust.

bemiiten screwed with this post 12-28-2006 at 09:21 PM
Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #44
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Great post! Thanks for taking the time to take and post those pics.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #45
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Excellent...

I'm curious to see what you come up with for measuring the inside of the case...

JJ

WingMakers.com