Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #1681
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
Ara, I drop in on your most excellent journey every so often. Keep on trucking . Stay healthy and one day I will see you on the road.
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #1682
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylongway View Post
Thanks for the updates and the new pics of the Gravelly Range Road .That was on my list when I went to Glacier park but never made it that way :(
Dam ,
Guess I have to go back now. Thanks alot!

You live the life we all wish we could.

Thanks for sharing it!

Got my book ordered..
Thank You... We will be back ourselves! It is magic up there.

A bit of past and present Urbanism. Montana

Today's News? Well, they are always all over the place, one in particular disturbed me greatly. You can read about it in our Journal.

In the meantime we hovered for quite a few days within past History between Virginia City, Nevada City, Alder, Twin Bridges and as far as Dillon. Weekdays are great as the streets are deserted and the locals are eager to tell their stories. Just as it use to be in past times when Internet was not present. Those stories are the joys while being on the road throughout our very slow pace.

The roads themselves are often lined up with antiquities from those past times. Some refurbished and some, maybe while running out of money, left as it for Mother time to take her toll. They will not be around for too much longer. There are already I noticed some which have disappeared and glad a few years back I had taken some photos of such dwelling. Today is a Hotel, a restaurant and too often nothing at all. Just a piece of dirt with no signature from what was standing sometimes not so tall.

The good "holes in the walls" places to eat are luckily still around like the white Taco Bus in Dillon. Their flavors have not gone away. A good thing as even the faces looked familiar.

Slowly it is on to the West Coast, the Pacific Ocean while we will soon land in the Olympic Peninsula including Neah Bay. Hopefully I will not notice too many changes. They would be a discrepancy with our Book!

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal and Book "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash"

8th Year, the Stars, living under them…
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #1683
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
You forgot a pic of Spirit! Hope he is being good.....
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #1684
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdog View Post
You forgot a pic of Spirit! Hope he is being good.....
He is always good! Thanks for the reminder...

The Olympic Peninsula. WA

It was rough going through Portland and leaving behind Palouse Country. Cities and us do not get along very well. A great lunch with a Friend not seen in years did make it worthwhile as also picking up our Editor to show her a bit of the country for a couple weeks. All arranged and preplanned with motels and campgrounds near each other. Olympic Peninsula has been our first stop, in Liliwaup to be more precise. The space is magical with it's rain forests filled with trees covered with moss, streams here and there and the highlight being Neah Bay including the hike to Cape Flattery which is the most western point of the country. The sight of an Island off shore with its lighthouse made me want that job!

The sea food is great including the fresh oysters which do not come my way too often.

The days are filled with conversations, remembrances on all the "hick ups" we went through while editing and proofing "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash" for six months daily without a single break. I don't know if we could do it again! But we will. A Photo Coffee Table Book this winter hopefully. 60 photos with descriptions, quotes and maps for each of them. Winters in Texas are good for such projects which in this case will not be as demanding. It will eventually be available "print on demand" only. Such books do not come by inexpensively. Just a "thing" I have been wanting to do for quite a while.

Tomorrow we head out towards Halfway and Hell's Canyon, Oregon, for a few more days. There is no doubt this path is bringing back quite a few memories from years past. Good ones.

Enjoy the hike and the photos in the Journal.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal and Book "Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash"

Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1685
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Spirit finally got a job!!!

Dropping South to Utah...

Chaperoning our Book Editor for 12 days is done as we dropped her off at the Portland Airport. We saw Neah Bay, camped on the Hood Canal, backtracked through Portland to the little town of Halfway [Oregon], rode Hell's Canyon with Spirit as she herself shopped around. A good time I must say filled with Life's conversations. An unusual setting for us to have company, a nice one.

Too hot to yet drop to "The Oasis" we stopped in Utah. We are now in and around Moab while we rode up and down, again [!], Potash Road and Shafer Trail. I just cannot get away from that road. We will be moving on to Muley Point and Valley of the Gods, a good time for fall if fall ever arrives as it was 92 in the shade yesterday. Lower 80's today, there is hope for cooler temperatures.

The spaces are now empty as Labor Day has passed on and everyone is back home on their own regular schedules. We have it all to ourselves. Almost.

As every year I am looking forward to arriving at "The Oasis". A shipping container, fire pits, water catchment and continue our conversations with my Mother and Lance. Many locals roads to ride again and from what I have seen from others the sunsets have been incredible.

For those who have purchased our book "Freedom On Both Ends Of The Leash", either through us or Amazon or electronically, I hope you have enjoyed it. For those who have not, I can only hope you do...

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #1686
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Book is most excellent!

What's this about Spirit getting a job? Tell us more, thought he was retired...
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #1687
cyclone67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Book is most excellent!

Looks like he's head photographer now!
cyclone67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #1688
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Book is most excellent!

He needs to earn his keep!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone67 View Post
Looks like he's head photographer now!
Literally!

Thank You "Life".

End of summer as I felt fall for the first time with cold hands and finding myself wearing a sweater. All so welcomed. Such freedom I have been thinking while laying on the ground one night, a couple nights ago in Valley of the Gods and watching the stars while seemingly the sky lowering itself and taking me in.

A rare freedom, a luxury. Have we earned it? I found that out when after taking refuge in Bluff for a couple days due to threats of flash flood warnings, while headed back this time to the Gooseneck I suddenly made a U Turn and here we are only a 100 miles from The Oasis, Texas! How can a space where we have already spent five winters call me, pull me so strongly? No arguments on my end, only checking the weather as low eighties will be doable.

The excitement is at its height, if not more than the first time! I know I will be breathing deeper than ever and I cannot help calling it "Home". Home Base is not even a word strong enough anymore.

We are spending a couple nights in Marfa seeing a good Friend of mine. An Author of many books, yet we did not solve anything regarding this fabric of Life we deal with daily. I personally have come to the conclusion that so many questions only have no answers. It is that simple while being "Thankful" towards this path such has put us on, Spirit and I together as one.

I feel as there will be much to do when we arrive and that is not true. There will be right then and there nothing to do, only for the mind to take it all in and conversate with Lance and my Mother who I am sure have been awaiting our return.

How exciting!Can you tell he is still happy?

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #1689
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,240
Wink

Still following your tail tale and enjoying your photography.

Also the appeal of your path is growing and growing with me. repeat repeatedly.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #1690
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Still following your tail tale and enjoying your photography.

Also the appeal of your path is growing and growing with me. repeat repeatedly.
Thank You. It is not a bad thing... is it? One Life to live...

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit
Old 10-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #1691
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,250
"The White Taco Bus in Dillon"....the BEST!
Consumed mucho Carne Asada there.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #1692
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
"The White Taco Bus in Dillon"....the BEST!
Consumed mucho Carne Asada there.
I can still taste it! You know they have one in West Yellowstone also now...

Lazy days at "The Oasis", Texas...

What can I say? After taking refuge in Bluff, Utah, due to flash flood warnings [which I take very seriously], on our way West back to the Gooseneck and Valley of the Gods the little voice in me [sometimes not so little!] told me to get back here... as we did. The forecast was a bit on the warm side for afternoons but today is the last of the 90's we will see and feel for a while. Very doable as the mornings have been cool and even colder throughout the nights.

I have been lazy since arriving here. Riding endlessly those roads we missed so much, star gazing after the few days of fuller Moon, playing with my Buddy who always regains his freedom here running in circle like a madman!

The conclusion always, as appealing is being on the road, a Home Base is needed throughout the year. The outside world has its boundaries here. I am only interested in Mother Nature's politics, its beauty and offerings which are so many surrounding us. Glued eyes on a screen is not my preferred pass-time. I will not be running for Mayor anytime soon...

Tomorrow I will force ourselves to get on a bit further. All is just too comfy here and we don't need to be on the lookout for a black truck passing by a few times an hour or a blown up and smoldering met lab which are events happened recently further North. Pretty incredible how even the spaces containing solitude are changing every year.

Reading, [have you read our Book yet?], riding, cooking, playing... That about sums it up for now. More photos on our Journal.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #1693
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Timeless Zone in Big Bend, Texas.

A big decision was facing me all summer. Where would we live some day when this body dwindled down as already the rough off roads are slowly being a thing of the past. Mainly for summer times as winter here at "The Oasis" is unequaled. Land up North above 9000 feet to keep us cool escaped me as an option. These 10 acres here, all paid for, has become the solution. We shall built something as a roof, we shall have a little home as a small camper, some more solar, water catchment, a larger generator for those hot summer days when those times arrive. That one day... I have it all written and photographed in a couple entries in our Journal. It is all there... Not finished yet of course but it is all getting there. You will have to go back one entry to see how it is all shaping up.

In the meantime as every Sunday comes by I know exactly how long we have already been here and that fact alone amazes me. Is it time flying away as one gets up in age? Or is it this Big Bend area which has a total disregard towards a calendar? I must say it is pretty amazing.

The "Day of the Dead" celebration has also come and gone where we attended for a couple hours. More photos on the last entry of ours.

A bit of rain finally, cooler weather dropping from the 90's to the 60's and 70's. It is here the definition of perfection.

Enjoy... we are.

Till next time.

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

Old 11-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #1694
TEWSTER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Big Bend is one of my favorite places I've visited over the years. Last time I was there was about 12 years ago. I plan on coming back next year and would love to get a photo of you, spirit, and myself for my wall of memories in my home if you don't mind. Take care.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #1695
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEWSTER2 View Post
Big Bend is one of my favorite places I've visited over the years. Last time I was there was about 12 years ago. I plan on coming back next year and would love to get a photo of you, spirit, and myself for my wall of memories in my home if you don't mind. Take care.
Just let us know when near by. I will give you directions. We shall be here al winter off and on....

Stay well.
Ara and Spirit