User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #781
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,270
The Oasis of my Soul...

Thanks for the picture! That is very cool... see you down the road...

A loop North of St George, Utah
We keep on rolling in Utah. It just does not end! We are settled I have to admit pretty comfortably at my Friends house, Michael and Sandra, while doing some errands in St George before headed south in a couple of weeks.
We have been here before, this is like the yearly “get it all back together” stop. I thought we had seen it all last year, had ridden all the roads, but Michael has of course many more destinations up his sleeve. I think he only divulge his secret destinations in small dosage!
From “Mountain Meadows” to “Lion’s mouth” to Cedar City and back here also riding “Kolob Canyon” Rd, it was a fine ride, as good as they get.
Much thoughts about Texas, just thinking without any concrete decisions as how we are going to live down there on a land with no power, water, septic… and a real tight budget! Almost a challenge which should be in itself and interesting feat.
Enjoy the ride… we sure did.
Be well, Ara & Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #782
TheMotoTraveler
Life is alright now!!

Oddometer: 31
Love the pics, sorry we never got to meet up on the road but my life took me in a direction that suits me better for now

Still love reading this and seeing the pics next time your in ATL drop me a email and I'll buy ya a round or 2
TheMotoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #783
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul...

No worries... we might actually head that way next May or so... or so... Take good care of yourself, that is what counts.

More Friends and a “Dammeron” loop, Utah
One more time we met up with a couple readers, from Logan this time, on their own escapade following our footsteps, or maybe vice versa!
Paul and Mariko, members of the “Expedition Portal” Forum, a Forum filled with adventure reports from all over the World and much information on how to survive the vast empty lands, some very cool vehicles also.
A ride to Pine Valley and its forest, luscious greens and creeks. It was then on to another loop west of 18 this time through Gunlock Rd and back a dirt road through some BLM land we had camped on last year passing a couple reservoirs.
There is no lack of riding around here, after all, we are still in Utah!
We are preparing ourselves for the road to Toroweap, 90 miles into some of the most isolated part of the country overlooking the Grand Canyon. Tomorrow will be doing Joshua Rd loop and another attraction near by. Eventually we will rest!
More pictures on the Blog…Be well, Ara & Spirit
Old 08-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #784
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Hi Ara & Spirit. Got your email, and dont worry about taking time to reply, your travelling , and i guess thousands of other emails keep you busy.

Between yours and gypsyrr's threads, plus many others, im seeing a great deal of a country that i may not get to see myself. still enjoying your writing and photos as always.

Neil
Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #785
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul..

I sure hope that you join us some day... never will we ran out of destinations! Not around here... and if we do? Well, we will start over... or come and see you!

Golden Butte Rd and Whitney Pocket. Nevada.
I sure hope that you all dual sport riders from Nevada or near by have ridden the loop to the ancient town of Golden Butte and stopped as we did at Whitney Pocket, also admiring the Art work 2 miles off the main road… to the right.
Out of nowhere as usual, totally off the beaten path considering we did not see a soul all day, lays one of, now, my favorite destination. Moss, caves, multi color rocks, sandstone, portals, petroglyphs, narrow trails… It was a quick scouting day trip and we have reservations for early next year in a bit of cooler weather.
Mojave went up to 107 degrees and felt on the way back as riding through a furnace. Spirit did really good with his cover on and his soft bowl of water always in front of him. He is definitely a tough guy now! Of course he will never pass up a chance to lay in the shade!
I could not fit all the photos in one Blog, so this will be part one of two…
Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #786
KrazyKonrad
Will BBQ for Gas Money

Oddometer: 134
Thumb Safe Travels

Ara & Spirit,

Since you sent me my Spirit mouse pads (luv 'em) I've got a Ural and and am writing my own trip reports. You sir are a bad influence

Now I'm looking for any excuse to hit the road. Now that I'm comfortable riding I'll start seeing how Buddy Bear likes it. Have a BBQ class coming up in eastern Washington this fall and I'm already planning an off the beaten path route to get there

Any time you get back to Washington I'd love to cook with you.
KrazyKonrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #787
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul..

That's funny as i was just thinking about you! I will have an open kitchen in Texas... and want to learn BBQ!!!... for friends stopping by... but, we cannot come up to WA... what do you think? Will write to you in more details... Learn on line?...

A bit more of Artwork, Nevada
This last day trip has obviously left an impression within me and rekindled some expressions of my mind and much thought about this Journey. Every step was a picture opportunity, so many shapes and colors within the sandstone, it was an endless array of beauty mixed with the spiritual presence of the Ancients.
Choosing the right time for such excursion is becoming more and more important. With temperatures peaking at 107 degrees such adventure would have been more enjoyable later on the year and my future planning will need to be a bit smarter!
We are getting ready for Toroweap, we are leaving tomorrow early morning and hoping to spend a couple nights within one of the most isolated area of this country overlooking the Grand Canyon. I am excited about it.
The errands continue, almost done as our southern destination awaits us. More surprises I am sure!
Enjoy the photos… there are many today.
Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 08-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #788
KrazyKonrad
Will BBQ for Gas Money

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef
That's funny as i was just thinking about you! I will have an open kitchen in Texas...
Be well… Ara & Spirit
Where in Texas? I have buds down there who know how to Q.

One of my fantasy trip plans is a ride across Texas visiting the local BBQ shrines. Lets see, winter is coming, I have a Ural, I have one camera working (dropped the nice Canon 30D on it's head) and I have a reason to go.

Might just have to head down and visit you and Spirit this winter
KrazyKonrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #789
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKonrad
Where in Texas? I have buds down there who know how to Q.

One of my fantasy trip plans is a ride across Texas visiting the local BBQ shrines. Lets see, winter is coming, I have a Ural, I have one camera working (dropped the nice Canon 30D on it's head) and I have a reason to go.

Might just have to head down and visit you and Spirit this winter
Hi Shoganai! Maybe see you next year... or... come to Texas!
Mr Krazy Conrad... I was thinking about doing the same thing! I have a VW tire + wheel being fitted for the rear... 30K miles +!!!... and i do have a camera... We will be between Alpine and Terlingua... Lest do it together... will only take a couple months or so... By the way, I will be selling my 30D + 17~85IS + 28~135IS soon (2 to 3 weeks). It is at Canon right now being cleaned. I thought i would do that for the next user... let me know if you want it.

Adventures in Toroweap, Arizona
180 miles of deserted and isolated roads can turn into an adventure following a couple mechanical failures and close to two inches of rain resulting with some nice wet and sticky “calachi”. A new word I will not forget it’s spelling very soon.
But it was some fun days, some spend in the tent reading and eating. Preparedness has always been the key in my traveling and it paid off big time. We actually arrived back last night with water and food left, mainly also because of a couple four wheelers including the Ranger stopping by to make sure we were alright.
Spirit is my Hero, more than ever the bond has just heightened another step. Moving right along with never a complain, only love and affection throughout those a bit rough couple days.
Toroweap is a must to experience and hard to describe its grandeur, its breathtaking depth, a true test of heights.
Tired but satisfied, some of the Journey is on the Blog, part I that is as there is more to come!
Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #790
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul...

Camping on the road to Toroweap, Arizona
Sometimes a couple sticks in the spokes, such as a broken bolt, a few tire punctures at the end of a 90 mile isolated road might not be the best scenario. Technically is was not, but always ready for the worse, with 2 inches of rain turning the road into an impassable one the adventure was great while camping on the shoulder waiting for it all to pass.
Kind of wish actually I would have still been back there, peaceful and quiet setting, much food and water, even some exploring after the deluge waiting for the road to dry.
And it did as also the decision to leave came upon us for a great ride back
Would definitely do it again, it was all good.
More pictures and the story on the Blog.

Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 09-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #791
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,337
I'm still reading, Ara.

You've captured what a lot of us are still searching for.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #792
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul...

Hi Gaspipe... I just hope that someday you will find this slice of Pie...

Out of Toroweap’s mud, back on the road. AZ.
I cannot help wishing we were still stranded. Strange maybe but the space given to us those couple of days were such a serene space one can only travel far to find. The ride back was one of the best we had including a great sunset with of course many stops to take it all in.
Where do we go from here? Texas soon, kind of strange knowing that we are actually going to leave Utah very soon with yet so many destinations unseen. There will be I hope next year when we come back choosing our weather patterns a bit smarter.
It has been great visiting Michael and Sandra, giving me the ability to leave Spirit behind at times when needing to run errands, the annual ordeals to go through!
I think a Lifetime would not be enough to see Utah… I actually have met Rangers being here 20 years in quest of new destinations and they have yet to close in on the list.
Our exit from Toroweap with more photos is on the Blog by now…
Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #793
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul...

A Sister and a Brother, Utah.

As a loaded spring box through a mutual Friend of now ours, my Sister Sarine and I met for the first time a couple days ago. 36 years have passed since her birth and I cannot hide the fact that those moments have been emotional. “Good emotional” as the bond, first through e mails, and now in real time, has been instantaneous, filled with great conversations and more notes comparing than one can imagine.
Truly a Life changing experience as in a few months we will stop in Los Angeles to meet the rest of the Family, many I have met earlier with the years passing by however changing us, physically as I saw from the pictures shown and I am sure mentally maturing.
A city girl Sister… a vast empty space Brother… but the connection was above it all, hard to describe the invisible bond that has taken place. I am sure some of you having a sister or a brother will understand. It has open a new door to a new path. “It’s all Good”.
You can meet her on the Blog!
Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #794
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Well Ara, looks like she got all the good looks

odd that there is a link between the two of you in the photography. maybe it finally brought you together. hope that meeting the other members of your family goes well.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #795
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,055
Truly exciting stuff there Ara.

Your friend, Matt, meeting your sister for the first time... Isn't it funny that a better script couldn't have been written?

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.

kv screwed with this post 09-08-2008 at 06:46 PM
kv is offline   Reply With Quote