User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #16
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Do it

Only problem is once I went off-road with my K75 it rained all damm nite . Nice grassy field was turned into swamp ride out. I think there's less chance of any problem if camping in woods vs rest stop on highway. No fire,little light no one will see or care.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #17
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,740
Stealth camping rules.

My funniest experience and most fond memory of poaching a campsite was the time I woke up in some guys front yard out in Utah. I had been travelling all day, finally decided to give it up for the day around 2 or 3A, found an old lesser used gravel road, found a wide spot, and pitched my comfortable abode.

It was pitch black, Orion was up, the Pleideise, the Milky Way was rocking and I thought I was home free.

Well, the next morning, I woke, got out to greet the new day with by taking the best leak of the day, looked over my shoulder, and there this old man was standing on the porch of his trailer.

He tipped his hat and toasted me in the air with his cup of coffee, and I wished him a good morning.

I did tell him that I was tired last night, needed a place to sleep, and didn't make a mess.

He didn't saya word, just nodded his head at me again, and went back inside.

I packed up and left.

While travelling on the cheap, I've spent my fair share of time loitering outside the shower house door of KOA's scattered about this great land just waiting for the next guy to walk out where I would catch the door before it closed and locked behind him. The KOA or some other over priced tent pad camground near Durango was the last time I pulled this feat.

Then there the old arrive late, get a cat nap in, and leave beore the proprieter wakes trick.

Then there's the steal a bath in the hot tub at the Howard Johnson's in Moab, which isn't quite as trickey as taking a sink bath at McD's also in Moab. They don't really like it when travellers turn their Hot Tubs and sinks Red from all of the dirt.

Dirty
Old 11-30-2006, 06:11 AM   #18
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
I hear WalMart lets RVers stay in their parking lots. I wonder if they'd notice a tent and a bike?
I keep hearing this, and I guess for a lot of the country a WalMArt parking lot would probably be a safe well lit place to catch some ZZ's. But I have seen some WalMarts in some scary places. It's probably my leary east coast perseption that always makes me think twice when I here people talking about this.
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 AM   #19
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Most Wla-Marts are open 24hrs. You could just sleep in the lawn and garden department on the lawn furniture. I read where a college student spent SB doing just that.
Saddest ... spring break ... ever. I totally thought those frat dudes were taking me on their road trip to Tijuana, but they ditched me at some Walmart near Albuquerque. "Just stoppin' to pick up munchies, dude." Yeah, that's what they told me. I can still hear them laughing as they sped away, my girlfriend in the back seat. She was laughing too, with her arm around Chad Parker. Goddamn you, Chad Parker! Oh, the hurtful memories!

Walmarts aside, "found" campsites have worked well for me. I've had a cop stop by late at night just to check in, but I've never had to move. The worst that happened was a park ranger threatening to fine me, but I'd left no trace (most important thing!) and so he let me go.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #20
Walub OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy
Doable. How late in Spring? I'm just south of Reno and could point you to anyone of a number of spots that would have you 400 miles from Vegas along a strech that if you want to explore you'll come down US395 and cut back to Vegas through Death Valley. I can get you with in a long days ride of Vegas or close to spend most a day in the Valley. That time of year there is country still thawing show when you're coming would filter what I could put on that list.
Planing on being in Vegas on May 10th So a couple of good spots in your neck of the woods would be great.

From the sounds of it it defiantly sounds like I can do it. I really do enjoy solitude and I think this may be just the ticket. If I can get far enough away from the big highways I think I could have some great quiet nights under the stars. No generators or kids playing in the camp spot next to me. Thanks for the comments everyone.
Walub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #21
chuckster243
misguided fool

Oddometer: 859
kerhonky

[QUOTE=kerhonky]I suspect you'll soon hear from folks who have done this. Some call it "stealth camping." Personally, I don't have any experience, in it.

As far as the trespassing issue, you would have to check the laws of the provinces/states through which you'll be riding, but I can tell you that in New York, you are not trespassing unless you have been notified that you are not allowed on the property. That notification could come via posted signs, written warning, or even a verbal statement from the owner. All that means though, is that they can't actually charge you with a crime. They can kick you off their property. Things may be different in Canada, but you should be able to figure it out with a little research. I'd wager that all of the applicable laws can be found online.[/QUOTE

In N.Y. property is considered posted and private if it has ever been "improved" this means cleared, mowed,maintained, just about anything. Literally every parcel in N.Y. is posted and you don't need a warning to be trespassing, you will be arrested, at first contact, the owner just calls the bluesuits. This info was obtained at a hunter saftey course, check it out with a C.O. if you'd like. THE RULES HAVE CHANGED!!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #22
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster243
In N.Y. property is considered posted and private if it has ever been "improved" this means cleared, mowed,maintained, just about anything. Literally every parcel in N.Y. is posted and you don't need a warning to be trespassing, you will be arrested, at first contact, the owner just calls the bluesuits. This info was obtained at a hunter saftey course, check it out with a C.O. if you'd like. THE RULES HAVE CHANGED!!
If the guy is dumb enough to plop his tent down in someone's front yard, then he deserves to be charged with trespass. But a woodlot is not improved, so he's on pretty solid ground there.

No offense to the people who conduct the hunter safety courses; they are hard-working, well intentioned people. But they are not DEC employees and at times misinform their students. To say that any property that is improved is considered "posted and private" is inaccurate. True, it is illegal to trespass on such property, but for property to be considered "posted" involves the erection of signs.

And unless I misunderstand the definition of the word "literally," not every parcel of property in New York is posted. I can take you to thousands of acres of private land that are not posted, and are "unimproved, unused and unfenced," which means you can't be charged with trespassing on them unless someone serves notice to you that you are not allowed on the property.

And the ECOs wear green uniforms, not blue. I know, I work with them.

EDIT: From Section 140.00(5) of the New York State Penal Law - "A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privilege unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him by the owner of such land or other authorized person, or unless such notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner."

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.

kerhonky screwed with this post 12-01-2006 at 06:21 AM
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #23
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
I'd use National Forest campgrounds. When you decide on your route, look for NFS campsites here: http://www.fs.fed.us/

Out West you might try BLM land. http://www.blm.gov/nhp/index.htm

The advise of "late-in, early-out" can get you by in lots of places!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #24
sangfroid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
When I was 16 a friend and I rode my 1967 Honda CL77 from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach, SC, then Boone, NC, then Atlanta, GA. A total of 6 weeks riding around the South. We didn't pay for even one nights camping. We probably "camped" a total of 15 nights, mostly at rest areas, by tieing a tarp over a picnic table and sleeping underneath (and then scraping the baked beans and deviled eggs off our sleeping bags in the morning). There were only two nights that we were bothered: once in the SC mountains when a state trooper got on his loudspeaker and told us to be gone by 7am, and and once when a Mrtle Beach officer told us we couldn't sleep on the beach, but it was ok to sleep in our car on the beach(Yes sir, officer!)
Nowadays, I'm more concerned, for my self and my main riding partner my wife, with comfort, safety, and hygene. So I tend to stay at places that have showers and electric ( my wife brings an electric heater for the tent!)
If anyone on this board needs to travel cheap, they should check out the ADV map, and check with other members there for camp space.
BEAN
Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #25
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
If ADV Riders are running through Santa Fe/NM or northern New Mexico they're welcome to crash at my place. One empty bedromm plus a long couch. Only requirements are a tolerance for eccentric cats and no smoking inside. I make a mean Margarita. PM if close by. Room in the garage to work on bikes if I shift things around a bit...
Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #26
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
My family was taking a vacation (we drove), and it was getting late, so we decided to set up near the road. In the morning, when we went back up to the road, we realized our tent was pitched in the middle of a runaway truck ramp.
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #27
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,092
Between Winnipeg and Las Vegas, there is probably more National Forest, BLM and state public land than private land once you get past the plains. You can basically camp anywhere you damn well please on non-National Park or Monument public land. There may be fire restrictions, but generally you can camp anywhere you want on National Forest or BLM land and most state public lands.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #28
gstwowheel
slowrider

Oddometer: 15
Eh? Camping by roadside

I have spent most of a lifetime camping out in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. Upscale campsites include Natinal Park Service and National Forest campsites, they cost $$. Then, for stealth camping try
any of the suggestions mentioned, side roads, etc. Mostly I don't see anyone
and am not bothered. The places where I HAVE been bothered are places like
parks near towns that allow camping but have no on site camp host. Kids from town hit these places to raise hell sometimes.

Once I was camped near Moab, Utah. Took a side road, then another side road, then a fainter road, etc. Set up camp off the faint dirt track. About 4
am this jeep roars by going about 60mph ! No harm but I am glad I didn't
camp on the dirt track.

Another time in a forest service campground in Colorado woke up to noise sounding like gunshots a few campsites down. About midnight. Loaded up my pistol, quietly packed up in the dark, and pulled out. Called the sherriff in the nearest town. Turns out it was kids shooting off cherry bombs.

Except for the above just no problems in hundreds of nights camping. Have a great trip.
gstwowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:24 PM   #29
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
So do you guys worry about rattlesnakes when camping out in the desert? Like at night when nature calls. Just wondering, and yeah I don't like snakes.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #30
wildwilly
Old Fart

Oddometer: 147
Well, especially setting camp in the desert, you're gonna encounter all sorts of creepy crawlers; some with legs, and some without.
wildwilly is offline   Reply With Quote