Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #391
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Bears aren't a problem but a lot of tourists get eaten by mosquitoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
there isn't that many tourists that get eaten by bears.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #392
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeikis View Post
The get-out-of-jail-free excuse is that you were hoping to get to such and such a city but were getting really tired and started to nod off, figured you'd throw up the tent for a couple hours shut eye, and hey? It's morning? Usually, though, it's a non-issue.
This +1000. The two times people have found me in the morning, when I've camped by roads, I've (quite honestly) said that I wasn't intending to camp here, but it was getting late and I couldn't find the place I was looking for in time. I thought it looked like a relatively harmless place to sleep and I'll be gone in twenty minutes. Both times, people were fine.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #393
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Going through Kansas, trying to make 90 miles to the next town we found ourselves riding into a lightening storm. Found this rest stop, no signs saying no camping. we pitched our tents under this shelter expecting rain, but it was just windy all night. I slept good.
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #394
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene View Post
Going through Kansas, trying to make 90 miles to the next town we found ourselves riding into a lightening storm. Found this rest stop, no signs saying no camping. we pitched our tents under this shelter expecting rain, but it was just windy all night. I slept good.

Looks like a nice spot to stay a night.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 AM   #395
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene View Post

My kinda place. I have no qualms, even if it did say no camping. Especially if it's rural.

My rule is that I'll camp wherever I'm comfortable as long as I'd be comfortable with a police officer pulling up and asking me what I was doing. If I feel like I have to hide or disguise my intentions I'm not in the right place.

Your spot above, if a cop showed up and you told him a storm was coming and you didn't think it'd hurt to stop there to get some sleep, I'm sure they'd be fine with it.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #396
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Looks like a nice spot to stay a night.

It was, I slept real well.
That was going to be our story, true one anyway, that it was getting late, we were riding into lightening, and decided to stay here for the night. However, setting the tents in the corner was our way of hiding, almost invisible from the road in the daytime, after dark, you would have to look hard to see us.

Funny thing, we asked at breakfast, then again later, if it was legal to camp in a Kansas rest area. No Kansan's seemed to know, most said it was probably ok. This rest area had three of these covered picnic table areas, probably 8 more tables on cememnt pads not covered. It had been real hot that day, cooled off that night, wind blew right trough my tent. No drinking water at this rest stop, luckily I had enough water left in the camlebak to make a single serving tea. I slept as well or better than the $32.00 dollar KOA we had stayed at the night before.

This trip I ended up paying nothing to camp 3 times. Next cheapest was four of us splitting a fed camp site, 4 bucks apiece. Also 3 of us split a $12.00 a night fee in OK, 4 bucks each. Then Corp of engineers site for $13.00 split by two of us. Then Usually $20.00 a night for some other state campgrounds.

deputygene screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 04:16 AM
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #397
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
A lot of small towns in the Midwest allow camping in their parks. In AZ you are supposed to have permits to camp in BLM or forest land. Our main industry is tourism, we can't have people camping for free.
When I took motorcycle trip to NE in 2006 I was able to camp for free in small town parks in KS and CO. Faucets for water, bathrooms, generally quiet.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #398
Snowbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadbob.com View Post
....and woke up with a very large bull looking into my tent. It's tough to break camp while staring down a bull.
My then girl friend and I were car camping across country once (late 1970s) and pulled down a side road and slept in the back of the 1960 Plymouth Valiant station wagon that was my RV at the time. In the morning, I opened my eyes and saw nothing but horses' noses. They were curious and had lined up all around the car and were looking in the car windows, maybe twenty of them. I guess watching humans sleep was the most interesting thing the horses had going that day.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #399
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
just to add some data for anyone researching this in the future.

in pennsylvania, you can primitive camp for free without any kind of permit for one night (per location) in state forests. and there are some beautiful spots for it in many of them.

here is a brochure with more info:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_001910.pdf
Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #400
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
My then girl friend and I were car camping across country once (late 1970s) and pulled down a side road and slept in the back of the 1960 Plymouth Valiant station wagon that was my RV at the time. In the morning, I opened my eyes and saw nothing but horses' noses. They were curious and had lined up all around the car and were looking in the car windows, maybe twenty of them. I guess watching humans sleep was the most interesting thing the horses had going that day.

that would probably kinda freak me out for a couple seconds!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #401
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
just to add some data for anyone researching this in the future.

in pennsylvania, you can primitive camp for free without any kind of permit for one night (per location) in state forests. and there are some beautiful spots for it in many of them.

here is a brochure with more info:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_001910.pdf

Rule 4 says you need a permit if you camp "using a vehicle for storage or transportation".

You are really only primitive camping if you hike in.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #402
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Rule 4 says you need a permit if you camp "using a vehicle for storage or transportation".

Playing a technicality, but how far from the bike do you have to walk before you hiked there?
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #403
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:

yeah, but you can just park in a pull off and "hike in" 25 feet.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #404
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Oh, it doesn't stop ME at all, I'm just a bit more stealthy than blatantly obvious because of it.
You never know how hung up a park ranger kinda person gets on that technicality.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #405
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Oh, it doesn't stop ME at all, I'm just a bit more stealthy than blatantly obvious because of it.
You never know how hung up a park ranger kinda person gets on that technicality.
very true.

it is always better to just avoid that kind of issue. doesn't mean you have to hide or be sneaky even, but there is also no need to make yourself obvious.

also, for anyone else reading...be aware that the rules for PA state *parks* are different. the rules i posted are for state *forests*. state parks generally do not allow primitive camping at all. most of them do have specified drive up camp sites, but you need a permit (and i think they usually have a fee, but i don't know as i stick to primitive camping in state forests).