User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Paddyb67 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Question SW Motech Bash Plate Installation Advice

I bought engine guards, bash plate, panniers and givi cases fro my 06 DL 1000...everything went on smoothly except the bash plate.

I am trying to figure out how the hell to install the bash plate. It looks like I need to remove the bolts holding the factory kick stand in place but can't figure out how.

Has anyone done this? Did you need an impact wrench or what? I almost pulled the bike over on top of me trying to break those bolts free.

Also any pointers or thoughts on predrilling a hole in the bash plate to change oil...I don't want to take this thing off everytime I need to change the oil.

TIA,
pb

p.s. - sw motech stuff is nice - nice schematics - but absolutely no directions on putting stuff together - grrrr...
Paddyb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
It is a lot easier with a center stand... well worth having for a lot of reasons, including this.

I removed the sidestand on my 650 with a torque wrench. The two bolts were very tight.

If you don't want to install a center stand, you will need a patient person to stand there holding the bike while you wrestle with the two bolts on the side stand.

My skid plate (for the 650) has an oil drain hole but still creates a mess when removing the oil filter.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris
It is a lot easier with a center stand... well worth having for a lot of reasons, including this.

I removed the sidestand on my 650 with a torque wrench. The two bolts were very tight.

If you don't want to install a center stand, you will need a patient person to stand there holding the bike while you wrestle with the two bolts on the side stand.

My skid plate (for the 650) has an oil drain hole but still creates a mess when removing the oil filter.
Slide a small catchall under the filter, drain the main lube first with the fill plug out so as to drain as much as possible. Once system has dripped out crack the seal on the filter to control the flow into your catchall (trim down a single quart oil container to suit) let it drip out. Back this up by using a wad of towel to insure a clean change.
Marvin the Martian is offline   Reply With Quote