Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

Oddometer: 1,609
an afternoon down the WA/OR coast

my first ride report ... go easy

after a week of winter freeze we finally had a couple of days of 'normal' PNW weather, so i headed down the coast for an afternoon of blowing the dust and cobwebs from inbetween my ears.

woke to find the day clear and crisp, about 35 degrees with nary a cloud in the sky.

let's go for a ride

i have to admit i had my doubts about hitting the road at this point. It had only been above freezing for a day or so, and i had some serious concerns about ice. aww screw it. off i go.

starting point is Ocean Park, Washington. Hmm theres alot of traffic on the road, i know the weathers nice, but i didnt figure town would be this crowded. Hold on, yep, its the weekend again. These things always tend to sneak up me when im on my days off.

Well anyways, down the road i go, first picture opportunity is the Atoria Megler Bridge.

“There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice.”

http://nelgallan.smugmug.com/
nelgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

across the mouth of the columbia from washington to Astoria, Oregon. The wind is usually blustery whenever your crossing over, and today was no exception. lean the bike over to the right to keep from getting blown left and then WHOOMP, the wind switched direction and is pushing you from the other side and then Whoomp its hitting you in the face and slowing you down.

hey this is starting to get fun

down the 101 towards Cannon Beach. Starting to get the grumbellies which is distracting from the ride, so looking for something to munch on.

this place looks good

pig n pancake

with a name like pig n pancake it has to be good!!

i guess that every ride report needs a food shot. so here's mine

HMMMMMM

“There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice.”

Old 12-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

had a great bfast and a couple of BIG cups of coffee to warm me up so back to the bike. hmm the coats a little tighter than i remember it

back on the 101 and heading south. the 101 is a great road. it gets a bit uban and crowded in and around some of the towns, but it doesnt take it long to get back to not much of anything. dark valleys with tall pines blocking out all but the most persistant of light beams, bridges over forest streams, everywhere the smell of pine, and of course the famous views of the coast line.

stopped for a bit of a look after a bit.

parked on the edge

even living out here, the views take your breath away, and i have to remember to look in the mirrors before i grab some brake and pull over to admire for a while. of course you need to watch out for others doing the same. was following behind a couple in a sedan from jersey when we rounded the bend and one of oregons sea mounts came into view. they crossed back and forth over the double yellow a couple of times, before they locked up the brakes and pulled off to the side of the road. tourist

Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

was sitting on the wall there admiring the view. one of those rare calm flat days on the ocean. even a couple of kayakers taking advantage of it all to head offshore. you can just see them near the one area of surf in the shot. kayaking is one of my other loves, and i found myself wishing i was out there with them

what a day

(it doesnt suck out here ) when the couple from jersey pulled up at the same pull off. we traded smile and nods and they joined me on the wall. after just soaking it all in the women turned to me and asked me if i was from around here and if i was used to it all.

yep, im from just a few miles up the coast.

nope, ill never get used to it.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

back on the road, and some great twists and turn down into Manzanita, Or. Had one hold up for a huge washout out on the road. The amount of rain we've gotten the past month or so has done alot of damage.

parked just off the beach

moto n helmet

and headed off for a walk and to find a likely spot to prop up my feet

moto feet

and watch the world go by for a bit longer

manzanita beach

pleny of folks had the same idea i did, and were enjoying a great day at the beach

Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

i let the sun warm me up and listened to the surf and watched the kids and dogs play. life is good when you at the beach .

at this point the sun was starting to sink into the ocean so i needed to head back up the coast to Washington. Back on the 101 and north i go. no stops this time, just great riding. All of my concerns of earlier were gone, and my thoughts were of nothing more than a great day and the bike. my moto is my medicine of choice .

back across the bridge and up the WA side through chinook and ilwaco and back to the long beach area.

had to make a quick stop

and then on to the beach just in time to watch the sunset show.

The long beach peninsula not only claims to have the longest beach in the US, you can drive on it . the good thing about all the rain we've been having is that the sand is nice and firm again, so no getting stuck. the metzlers are good tires, but squirrely even on the packed sand, and i cant imagine it would take them long to get overmached in soft conditions.

a word to the wise if you ever visit the area (and i would recommend it to anyone). no speeding on the beach. its closely monitored and you will get to meet one of long beach's finest i was in no hurry for anything so i was safe .

pulled up a dune and watched the sunset

it was the perfect end to a great day

all told, about 140 miles, one omlette, 4 cups of coffee, and a whole day of great memories

nelgallan screwed with this post 12-03-2006 at 09:44 PM
Old 12-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Gotta love those sunny winter days at the coast.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac
Gotta love those sunny winter days at the coast.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,824
Nice shots. Maybe I'll head on over to the coast this week.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
nelgallan OP
oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu
Nice shots. Maybe I'll head on over to the coast this week.
i'd invite you up to the beach for a bbq and some cold beers, but i gotta head back to work tomorrow

Old 12-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
great post.. I think sometimes it takes a post like this to remind me how lucky I am to have a coast that beautiful with in 90 minutes. great pictures
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
My favorute rides (other than the time I rented a motorcycle on Maui) have been down the Oregon coast.Its been way to long since I've made that ride.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 AM   #13
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
nice shots. do you live in Ocean Park? I built a place on 267th a handful of years ago, my parents live down in Ilwaco. (dad has a DRZ and a big boring harley).

-ted
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #14
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,297
Nice pics and report, I spend a lot of time just across the "creek" from ya, this pic was taken in the hills on the Washington side looking towards my other home.

A different angle of the Astoria Bridge

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 AM   #15
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
You guys get to ride on the beach? Wow. Must be nice.

BEAUTIFUL pics, too. I like the one with your feet propped up looking at the ocean- that really captures it for me.
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote