Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
Tracker

Oddometer: n/a
Cry Deerslayer

Major bummer this week! took off from eugene last tuesday on my new 03 V-Strom for a, 2 week 3k+ tour of the southwest - ore,cal,nev,utah,az,colo,idaho and oregon. zipping down I-5 to take 89 to start zig zagging along the high sierrias. only 250 miles into the trip, just past McCloud,Ca. a deer jumps out of the brush and I t-boned the damn thing. only doing 60mph (thank god) I guess my # came up after 35 yrs of riding and getting away from many close calls with deer. This one leaped out from the brush right into my path (never saw him!) no brakes, just BAM !!! Deer and I both flew 75 feet, killed deer (didn't even get any jerky,dammit!) put me into Mercy Med Ctr in Mt Shasta, Ca for 3 days -
4 broken ribs, left side
punchered left lung (from ribs)they cut me open for a drain hose.
broken left sholder
left eye hit hard swollen/bloodshot
road rash left side- calf,knee,thigh,forearm,wrist. was wearing full riding gear. - waisted helmet,Tourmaster jacket,Corner pants. Sidi boots scuffed a little but ok..
Thank God for riding gear !!!!!!

Strom is in Weed, Ca. waiting insurance inspection.
I,m bummed, but I,m Alive!!!
Here's a couple pic's
Attached Images

Tracker screwed with this post 06-01-2003 at 08:15 AM
Old 06-01-2003, 08:09 AM   #2
Tracker

taken from Redding,Ca paper - hope you can read it , had to take a pic of it, as I doin't have a scanner.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2003, 08:12 AM   #3
Tracker

Ouch! the Tank... Boo Hoo! was just plastic till I saw this.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2003, 08:22 AM   #4
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,890
Wow, dood, I'm glad you're OK. Bummer about getting busted up and missing a great vacation, but at least you'll live to ride again!

So with the roadrash, did the gear wear through, or did you "burn" from the friction heat?

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
Tracker

Kurt,
some places wore thru, did have a burn on the calf.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #6
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,195
Bummer! Glad you breathe to tell the tale! I have been enjoying your posts and looked forward to seeing the Strom. Here's hoping the insurance treats you well and you are soon on the road again, better than ever.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
Tracker

thanks RM. I was looking for you on my way back from the Eastern Wa ADvriderfest , on the Goldendale backroad, sorry we missed.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:40 AM   #8
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
Wow Tracker! Sorry to hear about that. Thankfully you'll make a full recovery. Let me know if you need anything I get to Eugene fairly often and I am happy to help. I recently had a narrow escape from a deer on the Yachats river road. I am also interested to know more about how your gear worked. Was the sheild down on your helmet etc..
Here's to a speedy and full recovery
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
Snail-Darter
Slime Dog

Oddometer: 183
WOW is right - glad to hear your still alive. Missed you in E. WA as I came in on Saturday evening. Really wanted to see the Storm.
A deer - at 3:45 pm - you weren't even riding in the dreaded dawn or dusk deer time zones. Get well soon.

The Pig: 2000 BMW R1150GS
The Squealer: 2004 KTM 450EXC -thanks R-Dubb!!
Snail-Darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:00 AM   #10
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
Glad your ok.But, only 60mph!! Christ, if I ever hit something and say I was "only" going any speed, it better be like 10! You were running full highway speed and t-boned a deer without so much as a panic braking!
Thank God for the gear. You seem to be taking it alot better than most who have something like this happen.
Here's to a speedy recovery!

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:08 AM   #11
RockinRobin
F'er Girl

Oddometer: 795
Tracker, I am sorry to hear about your accident. I am grateful you are ok. I would not enjoy hearing about the demise of an ADV rider.

On a lighter note..........Ask Lone Star about his run in............I think he is now called the Wild Turkey Slayer.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:43 AM   #12
dr650bc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
deer

Hey tracker, sorry about your encounter. Sound like you got banged up more than the bike. Hope your healing goes well.

I constantly think about animals on the road up here in BC due to an accident at sportbikewest last year. A group of sport bikes went by a horse in a field at the side of the road. The pipes on the lead bike scared the horse and he bolted across the road (no fence)right in the path of a couple on a sportbike. The resulting crash threw both riders quite a distance and one serious injury resulted.

Even low speeds can be dicey when deer are around. Yesteday while at the Glacier Creek Road at Mt. Baker Wa( see Mt baker post), a young deer bounded out of the bush about 30' in front of me. If it was any closer, I may have swerved- not a good thing on a one lane road with steep dropoffs at road edge.
dr650bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 09:43 AM   #13
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,383
VERY Glad you're ok. Heal quickly, and good luck with the bike!

hmmm....I'm heading down that same road tomorrow...my first long ride since I hit a deer.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:07 AM   #14
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,890
Sometime if you have a chance and still have the stuff, post some pics of the gear. Would be interesting.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:19 AM   #15
Slaniac
Martini elbow

Oddometer: 11,025
Cool2

Quote:
Said Kurt:
Sometime if you have a chance and still have the stuff, post some pics of the gear. Would be interesting.
I agree. Also, the deer's dead, your alive (but hurting), fuck it, the bike can be fixed or replaced. You took a big hit and now healing. Stay in touch, let us know how your doing.
Makes me wonder when and where Bambi is going to get me.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past"
F. Scott Fitzgearld

Regnat Populus.
Slaniac
Slaniac is offline   Reply With Quote