User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
catamountrdr OP
Crash Marvin

Oddometer: 39
Cross Country Sportsters

Ah yes....the typical "A girl's bike" comment. Usually from someone who has never ridden a Sportster. For those of you who don't know, this is the 50th anniversary of the Sportster. That is 50 years of continous production. Must be a LOT of girls on Sportsters out there.
Anyway, to the point. Having put many, many backroad and gravel road miles on my Sportster, I can tell you that it is less than the perfect adventure bike, but far more appropiate than you might think. Plenty of smooth power and extremely good handling for a heavy motorcycle. The only real drawback is the tendency to pick up rocks in the belt. But, the bike is low and well balanced. I get 162 miles per tank with my 1200 and it never misses a beat.
Attached Images

catamountrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635

I've kicked around the idea of building a Sportster into a LD machine now that they rubber mounted the engine.
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,870
Does anybody remember the Cycle world article way back dubbed the "dual sportster"? Long travel suspension, different triple trees and forks, very cool home brewed scoot,At the time the only thing that even resembled a "big trallie" was the BMW GS series. The thing was sweet, I`ll dig thru the mags I have and see if I can post some pics.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
catamountrdr OP
Crash Marvin

Oddometer: 39
LD machine

I just finished a 3,000 mile, three State trip on my sporty and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like the ability to dink along on the back roads and gravel roads but be able to twist it up to 80 and cruise all day stretched and comfy.
catamountrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
I love mine!

Here is mine in Alaska!
Attached Images

treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
crackerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Thumb Depends on your pain threshold

Back in 91 I rode my non rubber mounted, chain drive sporty (it was an 84) from Austin to California and back. It was pretty grueling but I was young and had a blast. I still miss that Sportster smell more than anything.

One day I may get another for tooling around on. I kinda went backwards from most guys- started on Harleys in college and ride sport bikes now that I'm older.

Sportsters are the great basic American motorcycle without a doubt.
crackerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
I've never owned one, but my sisters boyfriend had a 1960 XLCH when I was a kid. I took one ride on that bike and I was hooked! I have a Speed Triple, and love the sound, but there aren't too many bikes that sound as nice as a Sportster with straight drag pipes!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,873
If the Sportster, both old and new. is a girl's bike then the Bonneville, both old and new, is a girl's bike. The were both built for the same purpose - lower weight, more manueverable. I think now that the Scrambler is being sold a "Scrambler" version of the Sportie should be next! It's been a long time since the XR1000 and buyers today love cool looking bikes.

BTW - there was a Sportster in the last Iron Butt. Unfortunately, I think the bike DNF.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
PassTheGravy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
If the Sportster, both old and new. is a girl's bike then the Bonneville, both old and new, is a girl's bike. The were both built for the same purpose - lower weight, more manueverable. I think now that the Scrambler is being sold a "Scrambler" version of the Sportie should be next! It's been a long time since the XR1000 and buyers today love cool looking bikes.

BTW - there was a Sportster in the last Iron Butt. Unfortunately, I think the bike DNF.
I remember that Iron Butt Sportster. It had an auxillary tank and aluminum panniers. Pretty cool. And I think you're right about the DNF.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
LazyLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
OK, here you go. Look for your selves.

http://www.american-thunder.com/?05ibr
Old 12-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheGravy
I remember that Iron Butt Sportster. It had an auxillary tank and aluminum panniers. Pretty cool. And I think you're right about the DNF.
I was on the call list for him if he had bike problems while in my area of the country. I had a brief conversation with him about how he was going to set the bike up. Pretty cool!
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote