Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #31
rjf OP
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
We have 4+ definite starters for the course now, so the course is all system's go .

There is still rooom for another student, so If your interested, send me a PM.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:21 AM   #32
rjf OP
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddell
I would be happy to come along and photograph for you, if you like. that way you show all what you will be teaching and keep the photos for marketing purposes too.

Jas

I have a proper SLR digital camera.

I have photographed A4DE, and other sporting events such as F1 superboats etc.....
Yeah, it should be ok if you want to come down and do that. The guys on the course would probably appriciate it.
I'll send you a pm too Jas, probably tomorrow night or Tuesday.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
Old 12-16-2006, 02:50 AM   #33
rjf OP
SBS's #1 fan in January

Bumpski

Been a bit of rain up here yesterday and today. Should mean the riding condiotions will be great on Monday, no dust, and as there is no clay just gravel / decomposed granite, heaps of grip too.

There is room for 2 more on the course if anyone is interested, too.

rjf screwed with this post 12-16-2006 at 02:55 AM
Old 12-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #34
JamesLaugesen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I'd love to do a course like this (and I did my L's course at Tuggera Wheels Skills!), I only just found this thread though so Monday is too short notice for work.

Would I be ok doing this course on the Ully? I have probably 2000km's of dirt roads under my belt now. Whenever I get excited and go a bit quicker than usual I always come out ok, but I definitely feel I'm missing some important skills.
I bought the Ully for nice cruisey adventuring, so my primary aim for doing such a course would be to learn things I can keep practising myself, develop new (correct) skills for dealing with tricky situations off-road, and get more confident & comfortable with the weight/power/tyres of the Ully on less than perfect surfaces.

So would a group course like this be suitable? I just wouldn't want to affect the other riders' day.

Cheers
JamesLaugesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 AM   #35
rjf OP
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen
I'd love to do a course like this (and I did my L's course at Tuggera Wheels Skills!), I only just found this thread though so Monday is too short notice for work.

Would I be ok doing this course on the Ully? I have probably 2000km's of dirt roads under my belt now. Whenever I get excited and go a bit quicker than usual I always come out ok, but I definitely feel I'm missing some important skills.
I bought the Ully for nice cruisey adventuring, so my primary aim for doing such a course would be to learn things I can keep practising myself, develop new (correct) skills for dealing with tricky situations off-road, and get more confident & comfortable with the weight/power/tyres of the Ully on less than perfect surfaces.

So would a group course like this be suitable? I just wouldn't want to affect the other riders' day.

Cheers
Yeah you'd be fine James, you sound exactly like the type of rider that the course is aimed at.

At present I am thinking of running one on a Sunday (or Saturday if prefered) in Febuary. I could run another weekday one in Jan or Feb if 4-6 people are interested.

See ya,

Rhys.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #36
JamesLaugesen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
Yeah you'd be fine James, you sound exactly like the type of rider that the course is aimed at.

At present I am thinking of running one on a Sunday (or Saturday if prefered) in Febuary. I could run another weekday one in Jan or Feb if 4-6 people are interested.

See ya,

Rhys.
Great
Febuary is probably best from me... unless you can do some time between 22nd Dec and 7th of January .

Cheers, it's great that you're organising something like that.
JamesLaugesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #37
jtnx650
Reinforced Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thumb

Rhys,

I'm only a few minutes away from Tuggerah, and would be interested in a course during February if one gets up. I have never really had any formal training, so would be intereteing to bring on the Dommie and see what we can pick up.

I often wondered who was leading the groups of refelective vest wearing learner riders around Wyong and surrounds, eminating from behind Woody's and now I know

2010 XT660Z
2012 Multistrada S T
jtnx650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 AM   #38
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
Great day Rhys am sure I will be sleeping well tonight

Good to catch up with some more advriders in Crikey and Mike Cummins and enjoyed hearing about Bonox's tale to Kosciousko

Thoroughly recommend the course to everybody. Back to basics on the tar, then onto the mounds next door and then a fun run to put it all into practice around the Watagans.

To me it wasn't what I was doing wrong - it was learning how to do many, many things right.
Thanks again for organising
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 AM   #39
rjf OP
SBS's #1 fan in January

Here's the pics I took

I forgot I had my camera until the last lesson so I didn't take many pic's.

I'l have to post them over tomorrow as photophucket isn't loading them up for some reason.

On the down hills the guys are braking as well, going very slow, almost stationary, and as per every other pic of a hill its steeper than it looks. honest

Its sooooo steep, you'd get gravel rash on your nose walking up it, eh guys .
Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #40
rjf OP
SBS's #1 fan in January

Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #41
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,225
so, rhys. what was the hp2 like to ride?

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #42
Crikey
Kn0by n00bY

Oddometer: 155
I can heartily recommend this course. Rhys is a good instructor - didn't get the shits when we fell over, he even picked my bike up for me (do we have that pic anywhere?).
The ride through the Watagans was excellent - some bits quite tricky. Like VB said, we all had a good nights sleep.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #43
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
adventure course

Well that was fun, a great instructor,with great blokes and a common goal. To the guys who commented at the start of the thread, yes it was friggin hot but No...You can learn a lot in a day. Thanks to my riding mates who allowed me to stack it twice and for sharing the experience latter on. Alex was the last man standing and as far as i know did not find terrafirma. Glen popped a wheel stand on the big adventure and continued with a jump, Tim, attacked everything with vigor( if it was in front of him he ran over it) and i learnt stuff that is worth thousands of dollars(in repairs) that wont need to be done . I would love to take that experience to the next level and look forward to our next installment. Thanks again Rhys and the guys for making a memorable day.
mike cummins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #44
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crikey
I can heartily recommend this course. Rhys is a good instructor - didn't get the shits when we fell over, he even picked my bike up for me (do we have that pic anywhere?)
+1 on quality of instruction.

And you did ask for this Glen

Gawd help us - a bloke in ktm pants picking up a bm!
bonox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:59 AM   #45
rjf OP
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins
Well that was fun, I had fun teaching it too.

Thanks for the original post that motivated me to organise the course Mike.

I would love to take that experience to the next level and look forward to our next installment. I'll have to work on the boss to let me teach more high performance riding, as opposed to the bike control lessons we did.

The boss isn't into dirt riding at all. If I can pitch the course to him as an introductory or defensive riding course its fine. But anything thats how to go faster or do wheelies, stoppies or jumping he wouldn't let me run.

But the Watagains rides are not work related, so we can go do that stuff then, it won't cost you any $$$ either. (but it'll cost you heaps of embarassment if VBstubby gets pics if your bike having a little lay down DAMHIK )

The bosses son in-law is just getting into trailbikes and the boss is keen for me to do some training with him. So I'll teach him go faster stuff, etc, show it can be taught safely, so the boss might then let me run those type of course.

Thanks again Rhys and the guys for making a memorable day. You'll have to get along to 1 of the rides up this way Mike, you'll fit in with the usual suspects no worries.
The next one will (hopefully) be a Sunday one, mid to late Febuary. I actually learnt stuff on the course too, and have a heap of changes for the next one, just fine tuning the delivery of training and different teaching points, it will be similar to this one.

It looks as though there is a fair few interested in that one. I only want to teach 4-6 at a time, so I can taylor the training to each students needs. So I might run 2 courses, or if there is 10 or more interested I can get a special guest Instructor* in to assist me.

* class winner of the 2006 Condo 750 , and an ADVrider ( Hi Graeme )

As an aside, the boss has mentioned that we are able to run guided tours also. ( I think he meant we are covered insurance wise) What would you guys think of a half day course, followed by a 1 and a half day giuded tour, to say moonan Flat or Walcha, with instruction along the way. Cost would be $250 Plus accommodation, food and fuel. I haven't bothered organising any of those as I don't think there would be any intrest, I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

Rhys.