ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
BeemerBill OP
fillerup agin'

Oddometer: 611
North Padre Island Camping Advice

I'm going to camp a few nights there on my way to Big Bend after Christmas. Since I will be getting there late in the afternoon just before dark I don't want to have to bounce around looking for a campsite. Can anyone tell me where the best improved campsites on the beach are? Mustang Island? Padre Balli? Malaquite Beach? Other? I don't care much for riding in the sand so the closer to packed or paved road the better. Also what's the chance of getting an improved site between Christmas and New Years? I've never been to this area so any additional advice would be welcome.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
HPJeep
Owner of a pig iron bike

Oddometer: 142
I am actually curious too. Would make a great weekend trip from Austin to see the surf. Sorry that I do not have an answer for you.
HPJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
Lafitte
on the lake

Oddometer: 440
Port Aransas

Port Aransas has a NICE county park right on the beach. Access to bars ,food etc. BTW right on the N. end of Padre /Mustang Island. 20 miles to Corpus Christi down the beach.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
BeemerBill OP
fillerup agin'

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte
Port Aransas has a NICE county park right on the beach. Access to bars ,food etc. BTW right on the N. end of Padre /Mustang Island. 20 miles to Corpus Christi down the beach.
Thanks! I saw that on the map. I'll check it out.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
TxDieHart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Noth Padre Island

Mustang Island State Park is easy to find and has paved roads, they have 300 non reserved drive up camp sites you should not have a problem finding a space. here is their website http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...ng_island/#fac

Malaquite Beach also has improved camping, it is in a National Park so there is an entrance fee plus the camping fee. Those are your choices for improved camping on the beach.
There are miles of beach with free camping but the sand on this beach can be very soft and almost impossible for a motorcycle.

Kerry
Corpus Christi, Texas
TxDieHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Mitchel
Moron in the aggregate

Oddometer: 186
I stayed at Goose Island State Park just north of Corpus a few months back. The sites are pretty secluded along the southeast side of the park. It's really wooded for a "beach" type park. Lots of guys launch there fishing boats from there, and there was a really long pier you could walk out on.

There's a decent sea food place / bar that you pass after you get off the main highway on the right. Can't remember the name, but you can't miss it. It's just pass an abandoned motel on the right.
Mitchel is offline   Reply With Quote