User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
kapitaal OP
Lost

Oddometer: 80
Pleasure and the pain - Bendethera DSMRA ride

Another flash of orange screams past but this time I'm feeling cocky. The ride out from Bendethera was an incredible piece of firetrail and now we're on the final stretch back to Captains Flat...so I rolled it on and took chase. Looking back, that was probably a bad decision...

20+ DSMRA riders stretched the length of the old mining town of Captains Flat as the locals woke up to the smell of 2 smoke last Sunday. I imagine the guy in the servo was rubbing his hands together in anticipation - pity we'd all just filled up in Queanbeyan! This was the last ride for the year on the ACT DSMRA calendar and Pete and Craig had done their homework to line up a solid grade 2/3 ride covering a mix of firetrail and single track for approximately 200kms.

Pete explained the rules and soon enough we're single filing off through Tallaganda, the long, fun way to Bendethera. Our 640 Adv rider was warned about the single track up front but he was a brave man as it must have been quite a job muscling the beast through the tight bar grabbing sections linking up the firetrails.

Regroup, we've lost someone, nope, retired with a broken clutch cable.

The rocks, endless waterbars and drama all started in the next stage. There was a big off mid way through the pack resulting in another man down and a few soldiers waiting on lonely corners while the recovery options where considered.

70kms, 2 flat tyres, 3 people out and it was time to refuel the body and bike. Pete headed back to pick up Steve (?) with the busted shoulder while the rest of us kicked on to Bendethera for a 40km loop that saw at least 5 waterbars per km.

Another tyre change and a rest saw the clock pass 4pm and it was a long way back. The ride in was damn steep and at times felt like one mistake would be the last one you ever made, but the ride out felt like a completely different track. Waterbars that previously threatened harsh rocky landings turned into an endless rollercoaster ride through soft loamy forest that left everyone grinning ear to ear by the time we got back to the truck.

Another quick 40kms would see us back at the Flat but the confidence I gained from the last section would prove to be my downfall. After being overtaken again I thought i'd try and keep up this time but the next right hander came up waay to fast and all of a sudden it's a matter of micro second options on harm minimisation. It was too soft to slow down and either way this was going to hurt so down we go and hope for the best. Next thing i'm playing the rock xylophone with my head and thinking how soft my helmet feels. Everyone pulled up to make sure I was alright and after a quick calm down and check of the bruises I got back on the bike and limped home. Unfortunately I was wrong about feeling ok and now i have a cast on my arm for the next 12 weeks fixing the 7 broken bones in my elbow and wrist.

at least my bike is ok....
kapitaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,794
Question

good one on the 640 Adventure basher -

sporty with 2 gallons in it huh?

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,836
Heal up fast..! Nice pics and a fun ride
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,888
Glad you threw yourself under the bike top save on damage Kap...

Seriously , looks like you had a great ride. I'm a big fan of Bendethera - hope you heal up well.

You should post a link over on the Oz forum - I came across this via DBW.

Chris