Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #61
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDude
That's sweet!!
Thank you!

This was last year once the snow killed the bike riding on the lake.

I like the lighting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoovsHoovs
That little rascal is cool! How big's the motor?
Thanks. It's a 340 (338cc's). Fun little ride. 30 years old now.

This is the one that takes me back.

Just got the new piston for it. Burnt a nice little hole in one of them a couple of years ago. Just like my first only it was a 396. Had some good times on that sled.
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #62
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,629
Is it a bike? Is it a snowmobile? It IS a HONDA!

Link
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #63
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,130
I sold my last sled a few months after I bought my first bike, 35+ years ago. No comparison, as far as I'm concerned.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #64
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx
The new ones are very reliable. I beat the tar out of mine for several thousand miles and never had a major problem or rebuild. For the prices they are asking now, no one would buy them if the reliability was the same as it used to be.
Fual injection has helped quite a bit too.

True about the weather thing. If you don't live somewhere that gets consistantly good snow it's very hard to justify the cost.

From Yamaha

• Genesis® 80FI 4-stroke engine
    The Phazer RTX uses a 2-cylinder, 500cc engine for its performance. The engine package is based on the YZ250F™ engine. It’s actually two of them engineered together to become a potent, compact snowmobile engine. The Genesis 80FI is fuel injected, with a 5-valve head and makes its peak power at over 11,000 rpm.

Bikes on snow/ice are fun to0, just a different kind of fun.
  • I've been around "modern" snowmobiles, we'll have to agree to disagree on the reliability I guess. They just seem like a self destructive machine to me. And I just don't have problems like sending a carbide pick through the heat exchanger on my motorcycle.

The four strokes have evolved but if I were still in it I'd have a two stroke. Better power to weight ratio. And snomobiles (unlike motorcycles) have a CVT keeping the engine in the powerband, negating the big benefit of a broader four stroke powerband.

That YZF motor is a very high strung motor, unless they have beefed it up vs. the MX model I wouldn't trust it in a sled for heavy duty and/or extended use. Expnesive to rebuild, too!
    motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #65
    tpunzy
    liquid cooled

Oddometer: 2,325
    Remeber the yzf250 valve recall?

The phazer is about 80hp and most I have talked to consider it a good play/ditch banger. Not something that is gonna hang with a 440 snocrosser in the tight twisties, or run the wide open trails like 120+hp sleds. (a pipe off of a suzuki king quad will wake it up a bit so I have heard)

To me the manufactors have priced them selves outta reach for a lot of people. 2 strokes have become clean, and current with regs = expensive. The 4 stroke are what they are = expensive.

With the power produced by the 4 strokes (performance sleds.....not cruisers) they are just as high maint as a comparable hp rated pingers. Only now for most people when you toast one, it is a trip to the dealership..............during peak riding season, when the shop is already 2 weeks out doing tracks, top ends, suspension rebuild, rollovers (or the 6 inch thick book of arcticat recalls ) and modifications. That can 2 weeks can be the difference between open and closed trails around here.
    tpunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #66
    SkidMarx
    Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by motometal
    I've been around "modern" snowmobiles, we'll have to agree to disagree on the reliability I guess. They just seem like a self destructive machine to me. And I just don't have problems like sending a carbide pick through the heat exchanger on my motorcycle.
    No bigggie. I just get tired of people that rode grandpa's sled back in the 70s that think that is what it's like now.
    I suppose it depends on what kind of bike you are comparing it to.
    Compared to any streetbike, they are unreliable. Compared to a MX bike they are (in most cases). I always used push thru studs and never had an issue with throwing them, but once you start down the performance mod road, all bets are off anyway.

Quote:
    The four strokes have evolved but if I were still in it I'd have a two stroke. Better power to weight ratio. And snomobiles (unlike motorcycles) have a CVT keeping the engine in the powerband, negating the big benefit of a broader four stroke powerband.
    I completly agree.

Quote:
    That YZF motor is a very high strung motor, unless they have beefed it up vs. the MX model I wouldn't trust it in a sled for heavy duty and/or extended use. Expnesive to rebuild, too!
    I never said it was a good idea. Just pointing out that it was done.
    SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #67
    DakarNick
    Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
    Never owned one but they are fun. I was introduced by my neighbors when I moved here in 1997. They had all Yamahas, older Phazers, a Mountain Light, and a Mountain Max. Not sure what they have now.

Anyway, I went with them up near Grandby/Winter Park. It was fun but yes, I like bikes better.

Not to say I would never buy one though. Of course, with a girlfriend, that means two sleds and a trailer!

Nick
    DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #68
    snowscum
    World Owner

Oddometer: 1,256
    2006 Yamaha Supercharged Mountain Apex - $11995

Reply to: sale-524528707@craigslist.org
    Date: 2007-12-31, 2:21PM MST

345 actual miles. 240 HP @ 10lbs. of boost (sea level corrected). 19.2 lbs. of aftermarket weight savings. all factory updates. 108 mph. Professionally built @ $18,267.00.

extras included:

-MPI stage I supercharger
    -Vortech Maxflow Racing By-Pass valve
    -VDO boost gauge and bracket
    -WMS Air/Fuel ratio gauge and O2 sensor with datalogging capabilities
    -BOSS seat
    -Sly Dog Powderhound skis
    -Hiperfax sliders
    -MPI 8" rear wheel kit
    -MPI 7" upper idlers
    -Wahl Bros. no-slip drivers
    -skid rail stiffeners
    -ice scratchers
    -lots of anodizing.

NOTE: Fox Float front shocks and KMOD rear suspension shown in pics are no longer available; replaced with Yamaha OEM units! All stickers have also been removed.
    Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #69
    WIsixfitty
    ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,051
    Sleds rock. Peroid.

I rode my first one in 1969. A Merc 250er. From then on I've raced, ridden and developed snowmbiles and snowmobile systems. Most recently (10 years or so) I've been on Yamaha and know their product very vey well. I've pretty mush work with or on all the brands.

being form the faltland I ride trails, boondock and lakes. Trails are'nt bad as was mentioned above. However the first time I rode out west I was in heaven. That was near Seely Lake MT and then about 4 more times in Cooke City, MT. It was a total blast and yearn for a return trip someday. MOst days now I spend time on Lake Winebago or go up to da UP eh to ride the beautiful Munising area.

I currently ride an 07 SD gsx600sdi rev. A damn nice trail machine. Quiet, runs like a top, peppy enough and good on gas and oil. My only upgrade I'd like is stiffer shocks/springs all the way around.

If I were to spend $ on a new sled it would be a new and very light Rev. Prolly stay witha 600sdi motor but get some nicer boingers for sure.

My second choice would be the Yamaha Nytro. 130hp 4 stroke in a decent and aggressive chassis.

For a lake sled I would choose nothing other than a Yam 700SX triple. I can make/have a set of pipes for that nice simple triple which lights it right up. Coupled with a relatively low flat chassis and you've got an unbeatable combination.

Reliability has come leaps and bounds even in the past 10 years. The biggets problem I see is neglect and ppl modding sleds w/o any clue as to what they're doing.

Otherwise winter sucks when we get warm and rainy in January after such a great December.

Pick of Das Vinter Beater. I miss her.
    Old 01-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #70
    Zecatfish
    XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
    I've got a Rupp 440, something like this one,

Sitting in the yard, yea we get lots of use out it in Arkansas It was a package deal it came with a 6x6 Argus. Along with a SkiDoo 320 that will never run again.
    I have had the Rupp running a little just n ot alot of use for it.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #71
    Cf-Transplant
    Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
    The issue with sleds is they are very expensive. Sticker's (taxes) for the states, closures such as Yellowstone (glad citizens can't use their national park, close the place and lay the gov. worker off for the winter). They do not go well in deep powder, when stuck they make for a bad day. Upkeep, storage room, trailers, all are a pain. Finding a parking place to sled on the groomed areas can be a nightmare. Insurance has gone nuts, I assume most are trashing the sleds. Maintenance is never ending and expensive. Mileage sucks.

I use them to access a remote cabin, I can either ski breaking trail for two hours or sled into the place with supplies. All the friends of the ardvarks hate them, closures are coming on national lands. New sleds can range up to $12,000. Why the "sport" is growing in this area is beyond me. Perhaps my observation that few snowmobilers will walk far enough to not piss on their sleds, explains the growth. Many in the "sport" are very scary out on the groomed trails. Serveral fatalities per year, many injuries.
    Cf-Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #72
    Gernick
    Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
    Anyone look at the Snow Hawks?

http://www.snow-hawk.com/home.aspx

They seem interesting but I know jack shit about snowmobiles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ii4UykhoA
    Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #73
    snowscum
    World Owner

Oddometer: 1,256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gernick
    Anyone look at the Snow Hawks?

http://www.snow-hawk.com/home.aspx

They seem interesting but I know jack shit about snowmobiles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ii4UykhoA
    Some deeper snow with the Hawk. I bet I could break one of those alot quicker here in colorado than a regular sled.

">

Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #74
    DakarNick
    Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
    Those Snow Hawks look like fun! Almost like jet-skis.

Did anyone see the Hawk 120? It has an optional front wheel kit for the summer, weird!

Then there are these, the workhorses of snowmobiles.

http://www.alpina-snowmobiles.com/index.html
    DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #75
    Yooper_Bob
    Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
    So....who's up for a ADV "sled" ride in 'da UP???

I've tried to get interest in the regional forum....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=snowmobile
    Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
    Rate This Thread: