Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #46
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
cant wait to see a beamer with an elsinore tank on it!
That tank is off my old 1984 XL350R. I bought the bike new, rode it a few years. It was stolen and I had written it off. The police called me many months later to come pick it up from the impound yard. I had to pay $40 to get my own damn bike back. It has a huge dent in the front of the tank that I think came from the wrecker that hauled it to the impound.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #47
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38
Talk about a 100% rebuild!!!! Great work. Please keep the pics coming.
Not really, no major engine or trans work. A little valve job and hone for the motor. I just wanted to make a nice clean old airhead to ride. So I thought I would just take it apart and freshen it up a bit.

Like the title says, "I must be nuts."

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.

Cogswell screwed with this post 03-16-2007 at 05:12 PM
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #48
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,851

Very nice Mike. Thanks for inviting us along. It is a very pleasant ride I must say.

You were saying something about matching the colors on the front cover and the airbox (I think).

I am very unfamiliar with the peripheral components of the airhead motor. Can they be left as unpainted aluminum? Not saying you should, I just do not know.

I know you are going for a look that suits you.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #49
Poolside
Syndicated

I think the fasteners, washers, and hoop brackets can be freshened with bright or matte zinc chromate plating without much fuss.

Plating suppliers have worked out environmentally friendly chemistry, for everything but cadmium at any rate.

I've had the fasteners on a few German cars yellow zinc chromate plated just like new. It really makes a big visual difference.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 03-16-2007 at 06:41 PM
Old 03-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #50
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
I think the fasteners and washers can be freshened with bright or matte zinc chromate plating without much fuss.

Plating suppliers have worked out environmentally friendly chemistry, for everything but cadmium at any rate.

I've had the fasteners on a few German car yellow zinc chromate plated just like new. It really makes a big visual difference.

- Jim
Yeah, I knew I would get hammered about those crusty lookin bolts in that close up.
I have been replacing a lot of fasteners with SS from the local Ace hardware. They have a great selection of metric fasteners in stainless and regular. Guess I'll head back down tomorrow with another pocket full of bolts to match up.

Mike
Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #51
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarax
Yeah, I knew I would get hammered about those crusty lookin bolts in that close up.
I have been replacing a lot of fasteners with SS from the local Ace hardware. They have a great selection of metric fasteners in stainless and regular. Guess I'll head back down tomorrow with another pocket full of bolts to match up.
Heh heh . . . Yea I know prolly half of 'em can't be seen It just feels good to install a newly plated or stainless fastener.

- Jim

Old 03-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #52
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Thanks much for the pictures Mike. Someday, those will come in very handy.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #53
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Latest Progress Report

Well, a nice rainy day here and time for another progress report. I finally have a rolling chassis with suspension and brakes.
I chased a front brake rotor to caliper clearance issue for a week or so overlooking the obvious. Turned out to be a bent fork leg, about 4 mm off. I have a great friend (Thanks Rich !) with a fabrication shop, press, v-blocks, and very precise measuring equipment. Tweaked fork leg was straightened out and the front end is now good to go.

Most of the motor is together except for the rocker covers (old style) I am wailing on from the S. Maier ebay store in Germany. It's been almost a month. If they don't show up at the first of next week I'll send them an email.

The electrical system is sorted out and operational as best I can tell without a running motor. All lights and signals are working, motor cranks and I have fire at the plugs. Had an issue to sort out with no charge light when the key was on. Turned out to be a poor connection at the dash bulb socket.
I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with the front cover as far as finish went. I took it and the lower air box housing to the powder coaters. After some consultation he did the air box lower in satin black, and just did a mild abrasive blast and clear powder coat on the front cover. I think we made the right choice.

I still have some other things to work out as far as the exhaust system. The original head pipe on the right side has a ding in it that would probably be very noticeable if I had it ceramic chrome coated. The other option I have been looking at is the reproduction pipes available on ebay. I do have the reproduction pipes on the back so may do the fronts the same.

The body work is at the painters (2 weeks now) I sent him a bunch of pictures of what I would like for a finished product and he didn't seem to have any qualms about trying to do it. I told him I wouldn't talk to him for at least a month when I gave him the parts as I didn't want to rush him.

A few overall pics.

I still have some cleaning to do in areas (damn digital pictures show all the crap) and will continue to replace corroded fasteners. Looking at seat covers from sargents and on and on... we never are really done !

I don't think I'll have it together for the spring rally at the end of the month, but it shouldn't be too much longer after that to do some road testing.

Mike

Cogswell screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 11:48 AM
Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #54
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
Looking good, Mike! Rich has a bead blaster too!
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #55
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarax
Turned out to be a bent fork leg, about 4 mm off. I have a great friend (Thanks Rich !) with a fabrication shop, press, v-blocks, and very precise measuring equipment. Tweaked fork leg was straightened out and the front end is now good to go.

Most of the motor is together except for the rocker covers (old style) I am wailing on from the S. Maier ebay store in Germany.
Very nice details. Are the S. Maier valve covers new castings, or NOS?

I can't wait to see the paint.

- Jim

Old 07-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #56
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Finally an update worth sharing !

Well today was a good day on the project front. I had given the guy who is painting my project bike the gas tank, fender, seat cowl, and side covers at the start of April. He has a lot of things going on at his small shop and I told him I wouldn't bother him about my parts. About the end of June I was getting a bit worried and asked him a bit about it.
I have been sending him pictures of what I wanted from what I could find on the web, some even from this site. He would ask me questions about some specifics here and there. He asked me about the pinstripe last week, and I thought it should have one. He said he figured that is what I would say.
This morning my friend Jim and I loaded the bike on a trailer and took it to the painter so we could mount the tank and seat to let him get a reference for the pin stripes.

Laying out the tank to cowl lines.

David/Painter in foreground, me on the other side of the bike.

Holding up a side cover to get a feel for the color flow.

Side shot of tank. You can see all three of us reflected in the side of the tank. (This stuff still has a bit of dust on it, doesn't everything in a bodyshop ?)

Tank from top.

Seat Cowl. (Note to self,look into the seat cover at sargents.)

Top of bike.

Maybe in another week or so I'll have some more pics with stripes and the "S" fairing mounted.
I'm getting a bit itchy for a test ride!

Mike

Cogswell screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 11:52 AM
Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #57
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
Damn Mike, that looks sweet. The wait was worth it.
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #58
Poolside
Syndicated

Whhhooo . . That's fine

Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #59
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
beautiful! are those valve covers the ones from s. meyer? was his price $85 + $30 s/h for the pair? their color didn't look so nice on his photos but they look great on your bike. maybe it was the way his pics came out. i would like to mount a pair on my r100gspd.

poolside -- those covers are new castings. impossible to get them at $85/pair if NOS.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #60
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
beautiful! are those valve covers the ones from s. meyer? was his price $85 + $30 s/h for the pair? their color didn't look so nice on his photos but they look great on your bike. maybe it was the way his pics came out. i would like to mount a pair on my r100gspd.

poolside -- those covers are new castings. impossible to get them at $85/pair if NOS.
Yes those are the S. Meyer valve covers, (sorry I didn'y answer your previous question poolside) they do look good. There is a very small mark on each one where it was probably removed from the casting. overall I think they are worth the money. I have another friend locally who needed some and we split the shipping on 2 pair.
The end studs are a bit short if you wind them to the bottom of the holes fwiw.

Mike