Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #91
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,952
Thanks for the replies guys, it has been a fun project overall. I've had a few hair pullers out of it at times but the good far out weight the bad. The best part is when I walk out into the garage to go for a ride it's ready and waiting to go. My other 2 bikes are starting to feel neglected.
I had been off airheads since about 1996 and forgot how much fun they were to ride. When I got my first BMW,88 R100RS, my friend Crow the BMW wrench told me "This is the kind of bike that either, the more you ride it the more you will like it, or you just wont like it." I rode it a lot and fell in love with that old flat twin. After last weekends ride over the Cherohala and back through the Gap it was like Deja Vu. Man what a great bike to ride.
I still have some things to finish on the bike so I'll keep posting progress and mods here.
Hope to see a bunch of you guys at Tellico next weekend !

Poolside, Thanks for the tip on the bulb holders. They are the push in metal type. I will try pep boys or the zone.

Mike

Before

After

The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.

Cogswell screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 11:06 AM
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #92
MF1A
Ride with the Wind

Oddometer: 257
wow amazing!!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #93
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
When you take the exhaust nuts off, polish them with a wire wheel on a bench grinder- works like a charm!
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #94
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarex
When you take the exhaust nuts off, polish them with a wire wheel on a bench grinder- works like a charm!
I used the etching mag wheel cleaner that I used on the rest of the motor and a scotchbrite pad. Seemed to work ok for me. Thanks for the hint.

MIke
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #95
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 689
Thumb Great looking bike!

Very inspiring. Made me want to go to the shop and work on one of my projects. Vey nice.
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 AM   #96
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,287
Very,very sweet, Mike. Enjoy! I'm sure enjoying your pix.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #97
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarax
I used the etching mag wheel cleaner that I used on the rest of the motor and a scotchbrite pad. Seemed to work ok for me. Thanks for the hint.

MIke
Etching mag wheel cleaner and a scotchbrite, eh? I was wondering how you got the cases so clean.

Thank for the inspiration. Hancock's still working on his R100S, too, I believe.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #98
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Etching mag wheel cleaner and a scotchbrite, eh? I was wondering how you got the cases so clean.

Thank for the inspiration. Hancock's still working on his R100S, too, I believe.
I went to visit Steve weekend before last, he has his down quite a ways. (clutch was slipping) I keep trying to tell him it would be easier to just go ahead and do everything now as opposed to taking it apart again at a later date.
I try to help him as much as I can with parts and mechanical advice, the bike he has led a bit of a rough life before he got it. It's coming along though.

Mike
Old 01-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #99
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarax
No concours bike for me. I just wanted to build a nice clean old bike that I could take out and ride and enjoy.

Mike
Congratulations on a job very well done, MIKE! I only hope my /5 Barn Queen comes out nearly as nice.

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #100
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,673
That bike turned out beutiful,thanks for the pics and inspiration.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #101
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Riding it to Wilville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
That bike turned out beutiful,thanks for the pics and inspiration.
Nice work. Will we see it at Wilville?
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #102
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBMWMaster
Nice work. Will we see it at Wilville?

Yeah Jerry, I will most likely ride it up if the weather doesn't look like a total wash. Otherwise it will be the oilhead RT I am currently putting back together after a spline inspection/lube.

Mike
Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #103
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Back From The Depths

Ok folks, long overdue time for an update. I recently finished my seat repair.
The original seat cover was well worn, 25 years of use and neglect and a tear on the left side.

I looked at many options, and asked some questions here with not too many responses. So I decided to take a chance and ordered a replacement seat cover and foam from Sargents as I wanted the bike to be close to stock.
A few weeks later a box was on the front porch when I got home.
I disassembled the old seat with the intention of recovering it myself. Lots of rivets to drill out and metal strips to keep track of. I soon found out this is hardly a task to be undertaken by someone who has never done this before.
All the metal strips around the perimeter need to be oriented properly to allow the cowl screws access to the threads in the seat pan.

The seat pan was a mess.

I took the pan to the folks that did the powder coating work on my frame and other bits for a refresh. When I got the pan back (forgot to take pics) I started to try the reassembly. "Try" being the key word, ain't no way for me to be able to hold the cover on square, stretch it around and over the edges and hold it while positioning the metal strips and then install the rivets. If it was a case of stapling the cover in place I may have been able to work through it, no dice on this one.
I called a local auto upholstery place that does some custom work and discussed what I needed with the owner. Then I brought the seat pan and parts down for him to look at.
I was concerned with the 3 large headed rivets at the front of the seat in the bow area that fits to the tank, I could not find any locally and was worried about the seat cover tearing out around any rivets installed there. He indicated they could take care of it. They used some half inch or so squares of thin plastic drilled in the center for the rivet and installed them between the rivet and seat cover.

I think the cover looks great, I held the old one up next to it and the pattern is an exact match. There are a few small wrinkles in the sides from where it was folded in the box but they should come out after a little time in the sun.

Mike

Cogswell screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 11:15 AM
Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #104
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,793
Wow.

All I can say is wow! Truly a beautiful machine.
BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #105
motoboyvfr

Oddometer: n/a
That's a good lookin' seat Wiczowski! I'm sure you hear that a lot!