User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
roop690 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Help!! Ktm 690 no spark

So I have a 2009 ktm 690 duke and it won't start, I've replaced the following already: pulse generator coil, voltage rectifier, wiring harness, coil, spark plug, spark plug cap, fuel pump/filter. Also I adjusted the tps and motor drive sensors to the proper voltages with tuneECU. I also tried swapping out the fi ecu for a known good one, tried unplugging the tps, the rollover sensor, o2sensor, removing the kill switch to the handlebar, made sure all the grounds are good. The problem is when I try to start the bike I barely get one spark out of it, if I open the throttle to about 3/4 and try to crank it over I see multiple sparks, what's stopping it from getting spark at idle?

roop690 screwed with this post 07-01-2015 at 09:24 AM
roop690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 2,134
Use TuneECU Diagnostics page and make sure Temp Sensors are reading normal ambient values, also check the air intake sensor resistance, I think the expected resistance is in my EFI guide (link in sig line below).
As you have changed most hardware I can only assume it is one of the other sensors that could shut the motor off for protection i.e. overtemp.
Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
KTM 690 Troubleshooting Guide
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Worthy of note is that we know from experience that with the Airbox Temp Sensor wires broken the bike still runs but gives an FI light, I would suggest that if the Airbox Temp Sensor was preventing the start because it was out of range, i.e. indicating overtemp then as a diagnostic solution you could just disconnect it and it should let the bike run but with an FI light illuminated.
This theory works also for the Rollover Sensor and therefore may also work for the Water Temp sensor in the head, perhaps just try the start with each disconnected , just do one at a time.
Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
roop690 OP
n00b

tried unplugging the sensors - no effect, still no spark at closed throttle, its really odd why would i get consistent spark with the throttle open 3/4 to wot but not before that....
Old 07-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
roop690 OP
n00b

could a bad stator cause this? also anyone know what the resistance for the pulse generator coil (crankshaft position sensor) is supposed to be? i get 240ohms on the old and new one I put in but i have read for ktm 640's its supposed to be 100ohms(but thats a totally diff bike), i assumed that 240 was ok since it was new as i don't have the specs for the 690.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #6
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Not sure if this will work but try checking the spark immediately you turn on the ignition key and before the dash has done the self test. if the ECU is preventing the spark it will only do it after the self test has completed and found a fault. You have to be quick.
Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM   #7
roop690 OP
n00b

so good news, took out the throttle body and cleaned it out, lots of gunk in there from the engine breather breathing into the airbox and then i plugged it all back in but this time without the map sensor plugged in, got spark at idle, that problem solved! but when i try to start it with no map sensor it backfires through the throttle body, is this because the map sensor is disconnected or does that indicate another problem?
Old Yesterday, 02:35 AM   #8
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Not sure but I would have thought it would need the map sensor to run,
If you cleaned the throttle body with a volatile liquid like brake cleaner that maybe the cause of the backfire.
Try a few short runs to clear it out and then if it still does it then suggest plug in the map sensor.

Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Maybe off topic. Are there any internet tutorials about servicing the fuel injector. I have a service manual but I don't see anything about this except warnings to not get it dirty.

I don't need it yet but I am sure at some point I will.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #10
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Maybe off topic. Are there any internet tutorials about servicing the fuel injector. I have a service manual but I don't see anything about this except warnings to not get it dirty.

Service? There's a vid on how to clean one out here - http://www.welikebikes.be/KTM690Wiki...ctor_Fix_Video
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #11
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

That video will get you out of trouble and I have used it successfully on several bikes but a professional injector cleaning mob will clean it ultrasonically and check flows before and after as a comparison, they can also check for dribble leakage when it is meant to be shut so that is all that is really required to service it.

Andy
KTM 690 EFI Idiots Guide