Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #106
Dickyb
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Here are mine and my mate Carl's on a day ride on the Turkish med.

Cheers,

Dickyb
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #107
BadgeStar
Off-Road Wannabe

Oddometer: 9
Here's a few pics of my '07 660R (only 'phone pics so not very good quality) taken in the Peak District (UK) last year.

Only mods are:- Yam tall screen, Yam bash plate and some cheap but good Handguards (can't remember what make!).
BadgeStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #108
TomADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hono
light set (main tail light + register plate light) + mud guard is from off the road

http://www.off-the-road.de/xt660_bodywork.html?&L=1

indicators are from local bike shop.

very easy to install. just take original (tail lihgt, mud guard etc) parts off and put this set instead.

ok...before you fix mud guard its place you have to drill two holes to it.

after that fix light and indicators its place and connect cables.

whole job takes an hour. or two if you drink more than three beers and fix registerplate light.......

i have some more photos and stories on xt660 community

for example this http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=8617&page=2
How did you find fitting the tail tidy and the 2in1? Sounds like it was easy enough if it only takes an hour. I am in need of both of these mods before spring, so would be grateful of any recommendations you have or helpful tips. Were you happy with your choice?
I like the look of the OTR stuff and have dealt with them before, and found them to be very helpful.
TomADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #109
hono
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomADV
How did you find fitting the tail tidy and the 2in1? Sounds like it was easy enough if it only takes an hour. I am in need of both of these mods before spring, so would be grateful of any recommendations you have or helpful tips. Were you happy with your choice?
I like the look of the OTR stuff and have dealt with them before, and found them to be very helpful.
i have 2-1 exhaust made by metal mule. i also have metal mule bash plate and radiator grill.

https://www.metalmule.com/component/...,91/Itemid,26/

2-1 saves 8,5 kg. yep it is (much) more louder than original but we still have enough space for noice. with new bash plate you will gain more than 50 mm space under motor. i have also changed dog bones (from otr) and gained bonus 30 mm space under motor / higher bike.

compearing to otr 2-1 metal mule is less than half price, specially now. pound is about 1:1 for euros.

i think those mods are worth for me. i mostly ride off road.

tailtidy is from otr. off cause it saves about one kilo but looks is the reason to make that mod.

all those are very easy to install. bolts off - bolts on.

exhaust + bash plate 2 hours and tail tidy 2 hours. thats it.

check from here how and why i bought xt + some short stories for adventure riding / off road riding in russian carelia.

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?p=71392#post71392

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=8163

tomadv what plans you have / what is your reason to do those mods???
hono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #110
TomADV
Adventurer

Thanks Hono. I have already put a TT bashplate on mine, which was pretty easy, and gives a good protection. I added some Renthals bars as well, as I go off into the wilds quite a bit, and i didnt like the idea of pushing the bike home with bent bars!
Most of my riding is tracks, gravel, forest roads and beach, with obvious roads in between. I will add the tail tidy for the same reason as you, and the 2in1 just to give a bit more clearance and save some weight, I think I may try and add a bit more to the rear suspension as well, but that can wait.
Here it is as it stands now. Now I have seen yours and I look at mine again - it REALLY needs a tail tidy!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #111
Piipz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I was first going to the tail tidy thing myself but unfortunately I cannot remove the rear mudguard since I use SWMotech quicklock luggage racks. and the attachment for the luggage rack is on the mudguard...

Piipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #112
hono
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piipz
I was first going to the tail tidy thing myself but unfortunately I cannot remove the rear mudguard since I use SWMotech quicklock luggage racks. and the attachment for the luggage rack is on the mudguard...
whaaat. are you saying that your rack is mounted to mud guard? i hope not. do you have any fotos of that?

i dont know nothing about luggage racks but i think that they must be mounted to the body of the bike (rear cage). there are couple of moorings that come thru mud guard. do you maybe mean them?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #113
TomADV
Adventurer

Just gone for the Kedo version of the tail tidy, so I will post pics when it gets here and I have it fitted. It looks quite good and is a bit cheaper than the OTR, but pretty similar style.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #114
svele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
hello, this is my '04. bought used with little less 20tkm now it has 40 thousands. I need so much accessories... no bash plate no handguards no exhaust but still catching miles :p

[IMG][/IMG]

just trying to get outta town

[IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
svele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #115
hono
Adventurer

weekend behind guys.

where are your mods then.

or have you been riding all weekend.....

winter is coming....

http://forums.offipalsta.com/picture...ictureid=13313

ruined church (build by finns before ww II) in russian side near finnish border

http://forums.offipalsta.com/picture...ictureid=13331
Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #116
rossgu4200
Tiger 1050

Oddometer: 14
I got the XT660R in my head and can not shake it. can a larger tank be purchased?

What sort of fuel range has it got from 15 litres I think that the standard tank?

Cheers

from Sydney
rossgu4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #117
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossgu4200
I got the XT660R in my head and can not shake it. can a larger tank be purchased?

What sort of fuel range has it got from 15 litres I think that the standard tank?

Cheers

from Sydney
Have a look at www.off-the-road.de and the answer is yes. Standard is easy 150 miles +
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 AM   #118
TimCz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Is the off the road tank the only option for aftermarket?
TimCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #119
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Heres mine, got it Jan and well happy with what it does, as I got it

And has got some bling

Loves the back roads

Needs TKCs

And newest bling, sounds good to

wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #120
i8lusaka

Oddometer: n/a
XT660R wheels on a XT660X??

I am about to get a XT600X. But I am also planing a trip from the UK to South Africa in about 2 years. Id want a bike that I can use now, as well as for the trip. Does anyone know if the XT 660X would work with a 21" front wheel for the trip? I know that the X have 2,5 cm less travel and that the mounting of the wheel is in a different position to the R, but will this have any affect on the durability of the fork?

The reason for not getting the R direct is that I find the X much more fun on the road mean wile and that I will get it for a nice price

Or should I go the other way around?

i8lusaka screwed with this post 03-15-2009 at 02:52 PM