Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #121
coughinhk
CoughinHK

Oddometer: 83
My XT660R with bent frame

Hi,

I have an XT in the UK. I have a K+N main air filter and a DNA airbox-side air filter too. Turned up the CO2 to 30 and fitted a resistor inline with the temp sensor to drop the sensor 5 degrees.

I was touring Europe this summer. In Italy, the back went out on a tight corner. I got control but ran wide and the right underside hit a rock, which flipped the bike.

I guess that's the end of this bike. Anyone know any frame straightening services in the UK ?
Attached Images

coughinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #122
coughinhk
CoughinHK

And here's the impact point ...

...bent it back about an inch.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #123
coughinhk
CoughinHK

And one more...

...so now I can't get the swingarm mount bolt out 'cos the frame is bent over the end so it won't come out.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #124
coughinhk
CoughinHK

but they are tough

and I finished the trip - total 5,000 miles, 3,000 after the smash. The footpeg mounting bolts gave up and I had to get a bloke to weld it on.

It was a great trip. Shame about the bike.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #125
coughinhk
CoughinHK

And where she flipped

the rear part of the frame bent and squashed the main frame rail.

Thank God I was fine.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #126
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,309
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughinhk
and I finished the trip - total 5,000 miles, 3,000 after the smash. The footpeg mounting bolts gave up and I had to get a bloke to weld it on.

It was a great trip. Shame about the bike.
I see they still make the frame the same way as they did with the old XT600 that are sold here in the states. Those captive nuts inside the frame come loose and get rusty/hold water. Then the footpeg bolts spin with the nut and you are F'd. Mine did this and I had to weld the mounts on just enough so I can grind the weld unless I have to get the cluch cover off.

I'd pack it full of grease so water doesn't rust the bolt and spins the expando nut.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #127
hono
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCz
Is the off the road tank the only option for aftermarket?
today i noticed from xt660.com that brasilian gilimotor have 22 l plastic aftermarket tank for xt660. i went to their www pages. only in portugese.....

straight link http://www.gilimoto.com.br/detalhes....25&produto=179

i sent e mail and other to them. i got rapid answers. at the moment they are sorting out how we could transfer money to them. they do not accept int credit cards or they do not have paypal. i told them that just send preinvoice to me and after you see money in your account send tank to me...bit risky but...somethig will happend soon i hope.

other thing is shipping. they are sorting out that too. they have dhl in brasil so i think that shipping is not issue.

price is about 250 usd / 190 + shipping. anyway much much cheper than otr stuff.
hono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #128
coughinhk
CoughinHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.
.... the footpeg bolts spin with the nut and you are F'd. Mine did this and I had to weld the mounts on just enough so I can grind the weld...
Yep, after the smash, the footpeg hangar eventually started moving when the lower nut left the frame. I got the footpeg hangar welded to the frame. Xt's are the welder's best friend eh ?

Back home, I bought an angle grinder so I can remove the footpeg, if and when....and when that happens, I will probably cut a hole in the bottom of the frame so I can get a spanner up inside to hold the nut. And then, as you suggest, pack loads of grease in there to delay the inevitable rust.

I am actually quite surprised how tough the bike is, despite horrible things like these nuts.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #129
coughinhk
CoughinHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hono
brasilian gilimotor have 22 l plastic aftermarket tank for xt660. i went to their www pages. only in portugese.....

straight link http://www.gilimoto.com.br/detalhes....25&produto=179

i sent e mail and other to them. i got rapid answers.
Do they speak English ? Please let us know how you get on with your order. I'm very tempted to get one of these tanks.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #130
hono
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughinhk
Do they speak English ? Please let us know how you get on with your order. I'm very tempted to get one of these tanks.

Thanks
i got e mail from them in english

i sent questions (in first time) to this

http://www.gilimoto.com.br/contato.asp

after first answer we continued in e mail

now they are sorting out shipping and money transfer.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #131
hono
Adventurer

their last e mail

Jari,

I talked with correios, for I to export the tank fro you, You can deposit:
R$554,40 - tank
U$25,00 - exchanges with the bank (Citibank)
Transportation: You can choose:
R$281,00 - between 4 and 6 days for the tank to arrive at the country
or
R$114,00 - between 14and 16 days.

I waiting for you answer, and one more time, sorry for don't speak english well.

Regards,

Giovana

correios is stete owned post company.

just send e mail to them gilimoto@gilimoto.com.br

Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #132
coughinhk
CoughinHK

Thanks for posting - looks promising. When you get it, please post some photos !
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #133
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,310
This is not mine but it is what we have seeing here in the streets . 2009 model in red. Beatifull

VDG screwed with this post 05-05-2009 at 04:14 PM
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #134
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
wow

I've got a lovely black 660R which I do 60miles on everyday in all weather.
Last weekend I decided to scratch my KTM itch and I am so glad I did. Back to back with the 690SMC (no e'demos) I couldn't believe how different two 650ish cc engines could feel. I realise the wheel sizes are different but heck KTM know how to build a good engine - less vibes, lighter, more power, better sounding and sadly very expensive. I had heard before I bought the XT that, although relatively 'budget', Yam had build a special engine but KTM's version puts it on a stick and mops the floor with it.

Opps - didn't manage to upload a pic but I have a Hepco&becker rack with the Junior topbox and it is a brilliant combo. The touring screen seems very sensitive to rider height and the vibes through the seat are uncomfortable. Otherwise a nice bike.

Disclaimer - no flaming, this is my opinion having ridden both bikes back to back.
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #135
coughinhk
CoughinHK

yeah, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edteamslr
I've got a lovely black 660R which I do 60miles on everyday in all weather.
Last weekend I decided to scratch my KTM itch and I am so glad I did. Back to back with the 690SMC (no e'demos) I couldn't believe how different two 650ish cc engines could feel. I realise the wheel sizes are different but heck KTM know how to build a good engine - less vibes, lighter, more power, better sounding and sadly very expensive. I had heard before I bought the XT that, although relatively 'budget', Yam had build a special engine but KTM's version puts it on a stick and mops the floor with it.

Opps - didn't manage to upload a pic but I have a Hepco&becker rack with the Junior topbox and it is a brilliant combo. The touring screen seems very sensitive to rider height and the vibes through the seat are uncomfortable. Otherwise a nice bike.

Disclaimer - no flaming, this is my opinion having ridden both bikes back to back.
I have a KTM 640 SM and an XT660R. As you say, the XT can't really compete with the KTM but with K&N filter, DNA side filter, and a higher CO2 it isn't rubbish either. I think the price vs performance ratio is actually pretty similar.

You'll find that scratching the itch can lead to an infection that will turn everything orange, but you'll love it !