Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #31
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull doug
Laramie why can't I have a mechanic like you around,you even enjoy the same brew as myself.Hell I'd even buy you a few imports.thats my kind of wrenching Laramie tremendous job.The gloating part is probably the best part,what a fine time for a cold beverage why deny yourself!

00 300 exc
03 525 mxc
06 640 adv
thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #32
pitbull doug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Laramie forgot to ask why you taking the motor out did something go south on the LC4 powerplant? or was it a another excuse for a few coldies?

00 300 exc
03 525 mxc
06 640 adv
pitbull doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #33
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull doug
Laramie forgot to ask why you taking the motor out did something go south on the LC4 powerplant? or was it a another excuse for a few coldies?

00 300 exc
03 525 mxc
06 640 adv
i was a long, painful story and i wont bother you with all the details but to give ya the short version. back in june of '05 i blew the big end bearing on my crank and began the arduous task of trying to rebuild it myself. between issues with needing special tools, never having all the parts when i thought i did, then having gaskets blow once i did get it all back together, lead me to installing and removing the engine 3 different times and finally after over a year of downtime, its finally running again. i figured that since i was getting pretty good at it, i might as well share the info, plust, as you guessed, it was an excuse to drink some beer....

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 AM   #34
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4
i
nobody pulled an engine lately ?????
Me! last night! I sure pulled but it won't come out! I took everything you describe off and the swingarm also. But I can't get the damn thing out. We were two, so it's not a matter of manpower.

The rear part of engine must pass above the rear lugs, and the front must pass between the two lugs that hold the front holding plates, right? Sorry, don't know if I makes sense...

I'll try to post a pic later to explain better, but I must get to my real work now. I got home frustrated, read the manual and it just says "then slide the engine out". I had a few hours sleep and thought "the answer must be in Thumpers".

Thank you por posting this!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #35
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

OK, sorted. The engine needs to be tilted to the left side and it'll come out very tightly! I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze back in!

But first I have to solve (again) a fuc&)ked conrod bearing

MotoXplorers.com
Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #36
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M
OK, sorted. The engine needs to be tilted to the left side and it'll come out very tightly! I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze back in!

But first I have to solve (again) a fuc&)ked conrod bearing

Maybe time to call in that favor Ari owes you...

Hope you weren't out in the boondocks when the failure happened!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #37
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Maybe time to call in that favor Ari owes you... :lol
Hope you weren't out in the boondocks when the failure happened!
Hi Nate!

It'a an old failure. I was about to leave on a trip when I detected it, so I just bought another 640 and left this to solve afterwards (it's been now more than a year!!).

MotoXplorers.com
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #38
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

ya, getting the engine in the "just right place" to slip out of the frame can be kinda tricky, esp the first time. once you do it once, it get easier. take your time and dont fight it, remember "work smarter, not harder" is the phrase of the day...

good luck,

laramie :cheers:

Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #39
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M
Hi Nate!

It'a an old failure. I was about to leave on a trip when I detected it, so I just bought another 640 and left this to solve afterwards (it's been now more than a year!!).

Is that the advice you gave Ari? Just get another Toureg...

Edit: BTW, maybe I should break something before a trip so I have an excuse to get another bike! (Mrs. PackMule would never go for it...)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #40
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Ok, for all of you who caught my last maintenance guide you know what my motivations are for doing this…..I want groupies just likeCreeper. Unfortunately, I have yet to aquire a single one.
Dude, you got to be kidding, I spent a week in Tucson with the most partying F-15E Wizzo in the Air Force and tried to get you to go but you were busy, and the same goes for Amos.
You got some great bars in the area and we hit them all.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #41
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

sorry mars, i haven't checked in on this thread in quite awhile. sorry i missed you when you were in town.

a quick update about the bike;

the engine is still running strong, i guess the last time i finally got everything right. since the rebuild i have also added a FCR-39 which has made me smile even more. i recently have been having over heat issues due to the fan not kicking on. i figured that i had some wiring issue due to all my messing around and relocating of the wire bundles but after some searching found that the temp sensor was bad. unfortunately they want like $60 for a new one and im frankly kind of poor these days. im in the process of buying a new house and have ALL of my money tied up in that. i think i jinxed myself the other day by saying both my bike were running great and wouldn't need any money spent on them for awhile. so instead of replacing the temp switch i just temporarily wired the fan to a toggle switch with a direct connect to the battery ( with a in-line fuse of course) and will run it this way till i get some extra cash to replace the sensor. it seems to work really good and should get me by for now.

laters,

laramie

Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #42
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

WOW, havent seen this thread in awhile.

anyways, fixed the missing pictures so everything should be complete. if there are any questions or problems let me know....

laters,

laramie

Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #43
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,177
Heya Laramie,

I finally got ya in the Index! Sorry, but I was busy chasin' my tail for 'bout a year.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 AM   #44
laramie LC4 OP
crash test dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Heya Laramie,

I finally got ya in the Index! Sorry, but I was busy chasin' my tail for 'bout a year.
no problem, thats pretty much what ive been doing too......

laramie

Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #45
Aussie Jase
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

As for the engine installation; if you’ve made it this far, I'm going to assume that you have some skills ( I know creeper is going to kill me for this…) so go ahead and just reverse the process listed above. The main trick to remember is in the installation of the engine into the frame.

I tried to get a replacement motor into my 640 adv last night after 4 hours of scratching the paint off and getting frustrated, and needing more Bundy (cause its too cold for beer ) I ended up taking the rear tappet cover off (had already taken the front off as per instructions), damn motor almost fell into place, just in case some one else comes across this problem thought it may be worth sharing.

Jase

PS small tip use blue nitrile gloves (like the medics have), keeps hands free of nasty synth oils and you still get the dexterinty to play with all the fiddly bits.
Aussie Jase is offline   Reply With Quote