User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
snaggleXR650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
625 SXC new 18L tank/seat install

I installed my 18L monster gas tank on my '04 KTM 625 SXC. Fit's great, works with the LC4 KTM radiator fan and the comfort seat is, well, comfy. Filled to the brim it holds 5.2 gallons, which is more like 20L rather than the advertised 18L capacity. There is a bit of a gap where the seat meats the bodywork at the rear of the seat, but otherwise everything is perfect.

I've got the orange "KTM LC4" stickers that go on the tank, but I'm not sure I want to put them on. I may leave the tank plain and swap out the orange fenders and side panels for black and do a total black out bike. Or I could put on the silver fenders/side panels... Or, maybe I'll just leave it be and go get it all muddy and the colors won't matter ;) Ride On!
Attached Images

snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,305
Actually i dont think you should do anything .. it looks very sweet as it is
Old 12-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Bluetickk
Sand Crab

Oddometer: 442
As is
Slide's of Rides More
The only Dual Sport rider big enough to be seen from space with the naked eye!!!!
Bluetickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleXR650
There is a bit of a gap where the seat meats the bodywork at the rear of the seat, but otherwise everything is perfect.
Looks good snaggle.
The gap in the rear is quite common on LC4 seats... it's due to a combination of seat pan distortion and/or variations in subframe/fender fitments.
When you get tired of sliding down that slope in the seat... give me a shout.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Shrek650

Oddometer: n/a
gas tank

Thats to cool , When I grow up and get my KTM, I hope it looks that good !!!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,256
Thumb Lookin good Snaggle

Just add mud Snaggle!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 516
No comparison on fit and finish of the big $$ tank setup as compared to the IMS.

Sure, my fan fits and I have 6 months worth of gas money in my pocket (read: a couple/three grocery runs for the family ) but the OEM stuff is sure nice compared to the hillbilly banjo tank setup I have on mine.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
snaggleXR650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Creeper,
A while back you had a Renazco for sale that was supposed to fit with an 18L tank. I PM'd you about it over at supermotojunkie. Still got it? If not, what is your timeline nowadays, last time I talked to James he said you were in the middle of a move...

Ned,
Yes, the 18L tank/seat/gas cap is at an a$$ raping price. I looked hard at the IMS, but I didn't want to deal with the heatgun fitment issues and the possibility of not being able to use my rad fan setup. Besides, I got a nice discount due to my lifetime membership over at KTMtalk, which has already paid for itself three-fold.

Everybody else,
The bike doesn't look bad as it is, but I did some 5 minute Photoshop scribbles and colored the fenders/side panels black, and then grey (like the older LC4-E's). The grey looked pretty decent I thought. Maybe somebody with some Photoshop skillz can do it up decently and we can see what it looks like with black, grey or red fenders/sidepanels?

Thanks for the comments, I can't wait to get out and test the range.
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
canpile
Trail User

Oddometer: 638
Looks good snaggle! I'd leave it as is. I was going to paint the one on my six days (recently sold) to match the rest of the scheme of things, but figured "hell with it". As Creeper mentioned, you may get tired of sliding down to the low point on the comfort seat. Bothers some and others not. It bothered me only after riding a friend's 640 Adv.
canpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Creeper,
A while back you had a Renazco for sale that was supposed to fit with an 18L tank. I PM'd you about it over at supermotojunkie. Still got it? If not, what is your timeline nowadays, last time I talked to James he said you were in the middle of a move...
I still have the seat. The only thing is, it's a low seat made for a 30 inch or less inseam... or a guy that does lots of tight trail and wants his (or her) footsies closer to the ground.

Since you saw it last, James and I developed a better fitting cover that applies less tension to the seat pan... so although it's the same seat, I took that first cover off and replaced it with the very first prototype "new version" LC4 cover made. There is no logo on it.

It's carbon fiber sides, smooth, semi-matte top with orange and silver stitching.

C
Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
marcwestbmw
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 493
BIG thumbs up for Snaggle's bike. Looks good.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Damn sexy! Oh and snaggle's bike looks good too.

I would say put the orange KTM stickers on it, or if you don' like the stickers PM matey peeps - who can sell you some custom stickers made to order (ask creeper about them).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
I've got the orange "KTM LC4" stickers that go on the tank, but I'm not sure I want to put them on. I may leave the tank plain and swap out the orange fenders and side panels for black and do a total black out bike.
Make your own from 16 mil universal backing vinyl. The black-out KTM is always a crowd favorite too.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
downhillfromhere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Thumb

Quote:
I installed my 18L monster gas tank on my '04 KTM 625 SXC. Fit's great, works with the LC4 KTM radiator fan and the comfort seat is, well, comfy. Filled to the brim it holds 5.2 gallons, which is more like 20L rather than the advertised 18L capacity. There is a bit of a gap where the seat meats the bodywork at the rear of the seat, but otherwise everything is perfect.

I've got the orange "KTM LC4" stickers that go on the tank, but I'm not sure I want to put them on. I may leave the tank plain and swap out the orange fenders and side panels for black and do a total black out bike. Or I could put on the silver fenders/side panels... Or, maybe I'll just leave it be and go get it all muddy and the colors won't matter ;) Ride On!
I've done the same thing with my SXC, but I've had the seat raised 30mm to get rid of the horsey saddle feel. I'm 6' 2'' so I can still touch the ground comfortably. It has pulled the seat base up a touch at the rear, but is sure is comfortable.
Maybe even a bit too comfortable, as I find myself sitting more, when I should be standing. I'll just have to remind myself to get more aggressive instead of lounging!
I got a set of original SXC tank decals and they go on nice with a little help from the wife's hair dryer. Decals have lasted 2 or 3 big rides so far. I did have some concerns as to their longevity seeing as they are not protected by the shrouds, but they're OK so far.
downhillfromhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #15
v8turbo
When in Doubt.... Gas it.

Oddometer: 695
Creeper- that seat is nice! i just sold my 625sxc and got the 640 ADV. I will be looking up Renazco soon.
v8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote