User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
CRW OP
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 752
H&B gobi luggage on a lc4?

What racks do you use? I know ive seen them on a lc4. Cant seem to find a vendor. Custom rack or modified rack? Im all ..........
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW
What racks do you use? I know ive seen them on a lc4. Cant seem to find a vendor. Custom rack or modified rack? Im all ..........
I used to have Gobis on my 640A. I used the "genuine KTM racks" and H&B Gobis as sold by KTM. Don't do that. Get only genuine H&B racks.

I wasn't aware that KTM racks were not H&B racks until I contacted H&B in Germany to bitch about the crappy design. I sent photos... and of course they said "bummer doode" (In German)... those aren't our racks.

KTM racks are designed in such a way that if you use them in rough, fast off-road for any length of time, the bags and racks will grind down and fit looser and looser... to the point there won't be much holding the bags in place. I tried assorted methods to tighten them back up... nothing worked for long.

As they get loose, they put a tremendous strain on the latch/locks. After I had a latch fail (luckily, it actually broke in my shop) I sold them.

If I had it to do over again, obviously I'd get the genuine H&B racks, or... I'd get the LC4 SW Motech QD mounts as sold by Twisted Throttle.

C
Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Creeper, what did you think of the Gobi/640 Adventure combo? Good choice or what what's better, in your opinion? The used 640 I bought has the SW QD racks, but no bags, yet. Gobis or chuck the whole rig and go with Touratech/KTM?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
CRW OP
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteve
Creeper, what did you think of the Gobi/640 Adventure combo? Good choice or what what's better, in your opinion? The used 640 I bought has the SW QD racks, but no bags, yet. Gobis or chuck the whole rig and go with Touratech/KTM?
Are the SW QD racks nice? The look a bit flimsey on there web site. But the quick release system sounds pretty darn cool. I see you havent used them but how does the whole system look constuction wise? If you decide to chuck the the set up i might be intrested.....
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteve
I liked the Gobis. The only downside as compared to ally panniers is that the Gobis are double-wall construction and are overly large dimensionally to carry the same volume of stuff, or... inversely, are overly small on the inside for the outside dimensions.
Of course... for those that need a handy way to carry a large quantity of water, all you do is buy the "petcocks", drill a few holes and you have the capability to carry several liters of water... or something, in that double-wall capacity.

Oh... they are a bit heavier than ally too.

C
Old 04-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

A few general comments regarding hard bags on LC4s.

The value or practicality of hard bags on a real dirt bike is more dependent on how and where you ride, how addicted you become to the convenience of them and what is important to you as far as how your bike "feels".

Hard bags, loaded with the usual stuff, will add up to and over 60 pounds of weight to the very back of your bike... with a relatively high center of gravity.
Now... a 640 Adventure is not exactly light to begin with, but they still can be ridden pretty hard and fast if you have a mind to. The can also be ridden in some pretty tight, nasty single track... again, if you have a mind to.

Although I truly loved being able to quickly and easily carry all my junk, I also found that for the riding I do, the added weight (and location of that weight) was a negative to the joy of (my kind of) riding.
I choose to eliminate the temptation of added convenience and get rid of the bags. Now, when I need to travel, I use a combination of Wolfman Expedition tank and rack bags... and a backpack if absolutely necessary. In other words... the minimum amount of luggage required for a trip.

If I was more street/slow dirt road oriented and less fast dirt and single track oriented, or I was interested in doing a month or longer journey, I'd probably have kept the Gobis... and chances are, they'd still fit the racks better than they did.

To put it another way, don't get caught up in the "Toruatech catalog cover" rallye-poser, max-farklization "look"... unless you really are going on a ride from Idaho to Chile and back.
Most people don't "need" hard bags on a dirty bike... but, they are an easy habit to get used to, and hard to detach yourself from once hooked.

C
Old 04-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Most people don't "need" hard bags on a dirty bike... but, they are an easy habit to get used to, and hard to detach yourself from once hooked.

C
True dat! I have dirt bagz (soft bags) on the 640 and that is usually still too much junk. I have the Gobis on the 950 and once I start loading them, I can't quit!
I think I am going to try and break the "hard bag habit" entirely.

Wish me luck.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW
Are the SW QD racks nice? The look a bit flimsey on there web site. But the quick release system sounds pretty darn cool. I see you havent used them but how does the whole system look constuction wise? If you decide to chuck the the set up i might be intrested.....
The SW QDs are actually pretty slick affair. It would be nice to ride to a decent locale, then pull the racks off for your daily dirty sorties. They appear to be of decent strength, perhaps not as heavy duty as the TT/KTM racks, but that's just a guess. None of them are adequate for multiple horizontal parking maneuvers.

If I decide to change them, and I probably will, I'll PM you.

Creeper's comments are probably right on point and worth consideration. My main purpose for buying the 640 Adventure was to shed some weight from my travel rig for easier negotiating of more rugged and remote venues. Unfortunately, I think I'm already hooked on the hard bags. I like the lockable security and my trips usually last 4 to 6 weeks, sometime more.

I need to do some more research. What to do? What to do?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,066
i've got a set of pelicans mounted to a happy trails rack, so far so good! i wish the pelicans were a tad deeper so i could get my dutch oven in and get the lid latched... I like how the rack goes around behind the tire, makes a very nice lift point when your trying to get that pig up on your cinderbock centerstand.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,279
another combo is dirt bagz and a lockable trunk. wish I had that when I had some bastard rifle through my pack in the canadian rockies 25yrs ago, while I was wizzin' and taking a pic or two, he pinched my 40 oz'er of rum I brought over the border bastard!