Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2006, 04:13 AM   #1
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,202
S. Texas to Cerro Potosí (Nuevo Leon, México)

Link has ride report of weekend, pictures, links to maps, a few tips about crossing the border, etc. View in journal style.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2231560

ejtv screwed with this post 01-21-2007 at 01:57 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,246
Welcome to the asylum. Having a smug account, you can hotlink pics to here directly, like this one.... gorgeous!

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

and this one

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Thumb

cool! thx!
Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Finally got to post the report in its entirety...

First trip into the Sierra Madre from S. Texas, Early December 2006, solo...

Follow the red line: Harlingen-McAllen (South Texas) top right, to Montemorelos & Rayones Day 1; Rayones to Galeana-Cerro Potosí to Linares and back to Harlingen Day 2.

You can buy pesos on either side of the border, but I found it easier to do it on the Texas side. There a are several drive-thru exchange houses just before you cross. In most places along the highway you can use credit cards, but once you start exploring, you're going to need cash for gas, food, hotels, etc.

Crossing the border is not that big of a deal: bring passport, title and credit card (only way to pay). After crossing and paying a few bucks on the US side and the Mexican side, stop by the Módulo CITEV to get permits for vehicle and visa for yourself (about $20 each). Process is a pain in the ass; plan to waste about an hour. Make sure you return the vehicle permit on the way back. Following link has pictures of the whole process: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/18716967.cfm.

You will also be stopped one time on Highway 40 about 10 miles from the border. They randomly select every fifth car or so to be searched. Everyone is very friendly unless you are bringing a gun (don't).

I could not use my US cell phone despite supposedly activating it for roaming in Mexico. I found the best deal is to buy a prepaid telephone card at any Mexican convenience store. 100 pesos ($11) buys you about 30 international minutes. Every town has several public phones, blue, you can't miss them. You simply insert the card, wait for the dial tone, and dial 001 to access the US, then dial area code and phone.

40 degrees, rain/drizzle and 60 MPH makes for a very cold (despite electric grip warmers, neck gaiter, multiple layers, full face helmet, rain gear), wet and hungry rider near Montemorelos. Best pollo al carbón ever, tortillas, rice, beans, hot coffee...

I was still shivering inside...

so they brought out hot coals...

On the way up to Rayones, day finally opens up...This is a spectacular two lane road with tons of twisties and good pavement. Just watch for rocks on the road.

Probably the best way to get to Rayones from South Texas is to cross at McAllen-Reynosa, take toll road Hwy 40 towards Monterrey, exit at General Bravo and follow Hwy 35 South West to China, General Terán and Montemorelos. Turn North on Hwy 85 for a couple of miles and then west on Hwy 2 to Rayones. Plenty of places to gas up and eat once you leave the toll road.

Pilón River, a couple of miles from Rayones.

I spent the night in Rayones: a beautiful cobblestoned town in a dramatic valley setting. There are a couple of clean hotels in town and a very good place to eat real home cooking made to order where local riders from Monterrey sometimes meet. Just ask around to the locals for directions. Note: few people know English in these small towns. But everyone's so friendly that just a few words like "hotel", "restaurant", "por favor" and "gracias" will do

Next morning early AM. I took the unpaved road that connects Rayones to Galeana that follows the Pilon River.

Following link has detail map of the Rayones-Galeana-Potosi area including the major unpaved roads: http://www.mapas-de-mexico.com/nuevo...o-map-b2.shtml edit

Same road to Galeana, climbing up the Pilon River below, near a village called Pedro Carrizales.

Bridge over Pilon River, near Los Nogales. The nut of the nogales (trees pictured here) is the main staple of the inhabitants of the area

Galeana in the distance.

Lake "Laguna Labrador" west of Galeana.

Kids on a village called "Dieciocho de Marzo" at the foot hills of Cerro Potosí (12,000 feet high) in the background.

Rest stop on the road up to Cerro Potosí. Spectacular views. Hard to concentrate. Unfortunately I had to rush through this climb because of the long trip to get back home

3/4 of the way up to the top I was expecting a little bit of snow...

But not this....No, this picture is not from last year's snowboarding trip to Utah. You can see the F650 in the picture...
I wonder how the tires will do and if my sand-riding skills in Florida will transfer to ice..

Nope...
Took me 5 tries to get the 650 up again. I can't imagine squating a 1200...
I couldn't ride an inch past that spot, less than 1/2 a KM from the top.
I can't tell you what a bear it was to turn it around and tip-toe it down the road for 50 feet until I found dirt

Happy camper with a sore back. View is toward hot South Texas behind the mountains 7 hrs away.

Road Reports by ejtv click here
Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Wicked..............

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

You're a quick study! Thanks for posting your pics on here
Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Kayakkawakid
USPS

Oddometer: 27
Cerro Potosi 2009

I think Bernard is itching for duplicating this ride and I am dumb enough to follow, who else is in also? you had some knobbies, i got gripsters, i am in for a world of hurt!!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I'm in for a 3 or 4 day, or even a short weekend ride to Galeana and Cerro Potosi either by street bike or dual sport.
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Kayakkawakid
USPS

Oddometer: 27
Next Mex Ride

plans are for next MLK weekend, so far 3 riders plus you if you're in are riding down from houston too, one might be trailering, send your email so we can talk further about this ride