Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
GS-Jake OP
Live to Ride Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Laugh R1150GSA Pinging

Hi all

While I was out last evening riding my '05 Adventure and enjoying the beautiful summer afternoon, I heard some horrible noises. I was in 5th gear on a quiet back road and caught up with a slower car (aren't they all) I thought that I would be lazy and just roll on the power to pass witghout changing down a gear or two. As I said I was in 5th at around 3000rpm and rolled on the throttle to pass and the rattle/pinging was shocking. Before you ask I run 95 octane quality fuel from a major quality supplier and I ride the bike every day.

The bike has 16500km and has its 10000km service done by the BMW dealer. My question , has anyone else noticed this on their bike.(twin spark model). Is this caused by timing out or something to do with the polution control system? Could my dealer not have checked the timing or is it possible something could have slipped out of adjustment?

I await your collective wisdom

Regards
Jake
I just do what the voices tell me
GS-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
I can get a little spark knock if I do a roll-on from 3k rpms. I don't spend much time around 3k rpms so I don't notice it often. I normally downshift.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,597
Two years ago when I moved to Oregon I noticed pinging for the first time in my 2003 GS. I was at 20,000 miles. I tried water torture, fuel additives, and various different spark plugs. They all works for short periods of time to varying degrees. Then I put in the new left-hand side cam chain tensioner and my pinging vanished. It's never returned. I'm at 40,000 miles now. It seems that the slop in the cam chain can get so bad that it affects timing.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-Jake
I await your collective wisdom

Regards
Jake
Search this forum for "pinging".
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmolly
I can get a little spark knock if I do a roll-on from 3k rpms. I don't spend much time around 3k rpms so I don't notice it often. I normally downshift.

...I was about to say, wouldnt that just be lugging the crap out of it...? My 1150 is happiest between about 3700 and 5000 and it doesnt seem too happy below about 3500
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,295
Pinging problems - a fix

Most 1150 models I've ridden ping. It's due to the "lean burn" that BMW employs to meet euro emmission standards. It's pretty weak for such a manufacturer to sell a bike that pings like these do.
Solutions are available. The fellow who replaced his camchain was probably a one-off and got lucky.
The first thing is to use the highest octane fuel you can get. I use 98 RON and it does make a difference. It won't completely cure it but it reduces the problem. Hot weather will see pinging get worse too.
I dumped the standard cat and pipe and went full staintune and use a Unifilter foam element. This improved the problem slightly.
I cured mine by installing a Techlusion fuel injection tuning unit, which is pretty much required after the above mods. (It's a cheaper tuning fix than a power commander and you can adjust it yourself). This allows you to richen the mixture and presto!, pinging is gone. I did notice that with the end-baffle in the staintune I could still induce a light ping, but once I removed the end-baffle the bike went like a rocket (relatively speaking) and the motor feels much more muscular. The difference in fuel consumption is negligible when the throttle is used gently, but it does suck a little more if you are twisting the grip a bit.
You can use the Techlusion without the above mods and still get a result.
Hope this helps.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
The fellow who replaced his camchain was probably a one-off and got lucky.
There's quite a few of those one-offs on this forum. At least, in previous threads, most people with pinging problems who replaced the cam-chain tensioner either noticed a significant improvement or saw their pinging disappear. This isn't hard science but there seems to be some corrolation.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
The fellow who replaced his camchain was probably a one-off and got lucky.
No.

The tensioner cured mine and a few others that I know of as well. Everything is stock including the exhaust. No need to spend that kind of money to make it run well.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Here is description of the summertime pinging my '04 GS used to have prior to upgrading left sided cam chain tensioner. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=pinging+cured
Sounds like you've got the same problem.
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #10
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,464
Try this lnk in place of the CCP relay ( if you've one fitted)

The cost is pennies, takes a few seconds. So try it before spending lots of your hard earned cash.

I know i've posted this before -
But don't think the real bmw relay is anything special - here's whats inside

Old 12-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Voltar
Hell on Wheel

Oddometer: 1,624
As a 1984 Electrical Engineer graduate (with honors I may add) from Texas A&M University I can, with qualifications, state that is a pretty crappy design for a relay.

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
I had the same pinging problem on an '04 Adventure at about 10,000 miles. I installed an "AdventurePipe" and a K&N air filter to open it up and it was a whole new bike... very responsive and no pinging unless I'm in a very high gear at a very low RPM and gun it.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
jimbemotumbo
LD Addict

Oddometer: 134
+1 on Steptoe's jumper. The Bee is running Oh SO Good!
No pinging at all and before it was a rattlecan. And this on high altitude winter gas. A little extra HP too, right in the midrange where we like it.
jimbemotumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
paddythesmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Steptoe's jumper...

OK, I'm confused. What does CCP stand for, and it looks as though the jumper is hooked up different from the stocker 'relay' in at least one spot. Regardless, that's one great pic of a 'relay' - wonder how much the dealer gets for those...
paddythesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,852
I was going to say look up my thread "Pinging like a mofo", but it would be pretty much a repeat of what's been posted here, except for the water torture and RxP. (Sea foam and Techron were also recommended.)

I did a half-bottle of RxP in 8 gallons of gas, followed by a 200 mile spirited high rpm ride. Pinging down to original levels. Which they all do.