User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
rhino1987 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Can't reinstall 2007 R1200GSA fuel tank

I removed the fuel tank from my 2007 R1200GSA to have the ABS module serviced by Module Master. I'm now trying to reinstall the tank having received the module back but am having some difficulty.

I can get the tank on the two "pegs" the forward section rests on, however I can't get the two hex head bolt holes to line up. If I lift the rear most part of the tank about 1/2", I can get it close, but it's still about 1/2" off. The tank sits too far back from the holes in the frame and the tank is already full forward on the pegs.

I've tried installing the tank with the air box intake tube both installed and removed and haven't had any luck. Help getting my bike back to riding condition is much appreciated!
rhino1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,296
Let me guess, the tank wasn't close to empty, and you had it off sitting on the floor for a while? What happens is the tank distorts when placed on the floor, especially full of fuel and sitting for a while, like a week.

This is pretty common. It will go back on, but you need to "persuade" it to move forward. Some have resorted to trimming the big washer on the two forward lugs, but you should not have to. Prying with a wide pry-bar on the back side usually does it.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
rhino1987 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Let me guess, the tank wasn't close to empty, and you had it off sitting on the floor for a while? What happens is the tank distorts when placed on the floor, especially full of fuel and sitting for a while, like a week.

This is pretty common. It will go back on, but you need to "persuade" it to move forward. Some have resorted to trimming the big washer on the two forward lugs, but you should not have to. Prying with a wide pry-bar on the back side usually does it.
Thanks for the help! You're right, the tank is about 1/3-1/2 full and it's been on my garage floor for a month. I'll give it a try today after work.
rhino1987 is offline   Reply With Quote