Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #46
jimbemotumbo
LD Addict

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlecan
Please do not use the Rattlecan's name in vain. my gs sounds like a motumbo, and I've already done the new cam chain tensioner, Sea Foam, etc. etc. So I'm listening carefully.

Sorry bud!
jimbemotumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #47
jimbemotumbo
LD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
that is a map for a third party PROM, not for the factory PROM, in case that's not clear from the post.
Actually, now that I look at it, it matches the motronic list, so it IS the same listing. Makes one wonder about the $$$ chip and whether it the same sort of product as the BMW coding plug.

Hmmmm.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #48
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
thanks, I love playing long distance guessing games.

how about this: "i read somewhere on the internet that I could jumper two undocumented connectors to my $$$$ bike's $$$$$ computer. There's always a chance that a puff of smoke may emit from the bike which would cripple it, but what the heck. Oh, and the guy who suggested it isn't clear on the difference between a relay and a jumper. But his knuckle in a photo sure looks knowledable."
Listen -take your head out of your arse, and read the the thread.

The link i use isn't the same as the BMW cat code plug, or why would i have taken it out and used the link i made - think about it. Whats the point .
The only reason for showing you the picture of the bmw plug was to save you people money. Just use the links to whatever plug you want to use, and don't waste your money buying the bmw plug. Because all the cat code plugs, no matter what configuration are just links as in the picture.

This guy you talk about (me) runs his own independant BMW repair business, and has done for over 20 years. So i must be doing something right. How you doing shite for brains
Old 12-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #49
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,720
Ref: 00 1150GS M2.4
OK, I managed to do the jumper 30-87a mod. and go out for a 90km blast in 43/ 6 degree weather. I topped it up with mid grade gas (1/2 a tank) instead of premium.
Initial observations as follows:
Bike runs strong and pings less.
Surges very slightly now.
Seems to hit the rev limiter a little earlier.??
Plugs are a little darker although still whitish.
I will monitor fuel consumption over the next while (I have a spreadsheet since day 1) and report back later. It will also be a while before I can evaluate the hot weather performance
I would sure like to know more about the map that is chosen by doing this jumper mod as no cat plug presumably means the richest mixture which is what I started off with.
BTW Steptoe - I realized after asking why the jumper was different than the "relay". My apologies.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #50
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict
BTW Steptoe - I realized after asking why the jumper was different than the "relay". My apologies.
No problem, here to help. And to keep your bikes on the road and running for as less bucks as possible
Old 12-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #51
jimbemotumbo
LD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe
No problem, here to help. And to keep your bikes on the road and running for as less bucks as possible
ANd it's a good time for me to thank you as well Steptoe. As you can tell from my posts ... your jumper idea put my GSA right! Nest time I'm across the pond I'll buy you a pint or three.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #52
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbemotumbo
ANd it's a good time for me to thank you as well Steptoe. As you can tell from my posts ... your jumper idea put my GSA right! Nest time I'm across the pond I'll buy you a pint or three.
Hell,l I think we gots us a party! Count me in!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #53
bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
Steptoe,

I have read most of your posts about the jumper and I have a question?
Can you explain if it makes the overall fuel curve richer, leaner or just changes the shape of it. I have a 04 1150 running the stock air filter with a Staintune full system and no cat code plug. To me it seems like it might be a little lean and just curious about your jumper. Would it make it richer, leaner overall
Thanks
Tim

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #54
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Ditto me on Bacon's question
Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #55
jimbemotumbo
LD Addict

I'll jump in here if I may. The noted setting makes it just a bit richer across the curve. This also corresponds to that chart from the bbpower settings for slight perf mods. I verified this by plug reading. Stock (and good state of tune otherwise), plugs were dry & white. Linked as above and in the midst of a ride, the plugs were a very light tan, dry. Post mod idle is also notably richer and very smooth. Great off idle transition. No surging anywhere.

This tells me the increased richness is slight and should not gob things up over time. Also, I think my bike could be a tad more rich without detriment. My only concern is that when the temps go up, my pinking may come back to some degree unless I can richen it up a bit more. Might have to experiment with some other links, as noted in prev posts. I'll worry over it when the time comes. This change is indeed a big improvement.

Edit - and to Bacon's question. No cat code plug is the richest setting of all. Don't know what to tell you if it's still lean.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #56
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
You could retard the timing a bit?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #57
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
pinging under load not timing related

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmolly
You could retard the timing a bit?
Since pinging due to loading is preignition from excessive heat, I don't see how fiddling with the timing has any effect. By the time the spark occurs the air/fuel mixture has already been ignited by excessive cylinder temperatures earlier in the compression stroke. I suppose a second ignition could set up opposing shock waves but I wouldn't want to set my timing off of what was optimum when the cause is somewhere else.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #58
jimbemotumbo
LD Addict

I like the fact this small change in fuel also gives a bit more midrange power.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #59
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer
Since pinging due to loading is preignition from excessive heat.
Most pinging I have dealth with is due to spark advance in combination with the compression level and fuel octane. Air temperature also plays a role in flame front propogation.

PS. Merry Christmas, drinking coffee and waiting for the kids to wake :)
Old 12-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #60
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmolly
Most pinging I have dealth with is due to spark advance in combination with the compression level and fuel octane. Air temperature also plays a role in flame front propogation.

PS. Merry Christmas, drinking coffee and waiting for the kids to wake :)
Yep, all of those can cause pinging. But if you only experience pinging when you open the throttle at 3k to pass without shifting down, it's the increased heat build up in the engine that pre-ignites the fuel and causes the pinging.

Merry Christmas to you and the family as well. Kids are gone from the nest and Christmas just never seems the same.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote