Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #76
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,683

Quote:
Originally Posted by def
As a ME from ASU (Go Sundevils), I can say that the relay in question is not a NO or NC type but an AC design, (always closed) and is extremely reliable inasmuch as there are no moving parts (TAMU indeed!).
It's a passive relay

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #77
Jhammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I would use caution when making these bikes run richer a rich mixture will cause carbon build up in the heads and then yes more pinging. I would try other approaches to resolve the pinging other than making the bike run richer or you may be chasing your tail.
Jhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #78
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,316
FWIW, my '01 GS used to ping all too willingly in warmer temps. I installed Autolite 3922's prior to this summer's trip and... the ping is gone. This plug is one heat range cooler than the usually spec'ed equivalent. I had been under the impression that the ping issue was not considered related to the plugs, but that would seem to be the plugs with at least my bike. It's voodoo. VOODOO!

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #79
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Pretty neat fix.

Hi,
4 years after publication, this just fixed my pinging problem. I'm still gonna change the spark plugs for idium ones as it's due anyway. I can't believe this motor finally stopped making theses anoying grinding noises on acceleration at 100k km! Now, lets see if I can fix the vibrations and the thing that makes the motor run unevenly (even on cruise control, it accel and slow down in kind of a cycle motion).

Thanks for the fix Steptoe. Wish I understood what this remapping does exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe
Try this lnk in place of the CCP relay ( if you've one fitted)

The cost is pennies, takes a few seconds. So try it before spending lots of your hard earned cash.

I know i've posted this before -
But don't think the real bmw relay is anything special - here's whats inside

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #80
leadoverdistance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thanks Steppers!

Good on you mate!

My 02 R1150gs ping has gone away after doing this, even though conditions have become hotter with the onset of summer.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #81
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,978
Speaking of pinging....
I am heading north this weekend and there won't be any high octane fuel. I am going to be filling with regular fuel.
Is there any trouble with this?
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #82
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,215
I said previously "The fellow who replaced his camchain was probably a one-off and got lucky.".

I stand corrected, it seems a few folks have had some joy with this.

And this is the liveliest thread ever in GSpot.

It can't last though, the gayness will return.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #83
rtortore
'00 R1150GS

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman
Speaking of pinging....
I am heading north this weekend and there won't be any high octane fuel. I am going to be filling with regular fuel.
Is there any trouble with this?
How far 'north' - Here in Canada, I run mine with 87 Octane most of the time .. no worries.
Enjoy the cheaper prices!

Richard
Anything can happen."
rtortore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #84
Dokken Fronk
New to dirtriding

Oddometer: 24
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_-_
Hi,
4 years after publication, this just fixed my pinging problem. I'm still gonna change the spark plugs for idium ones as it's due anyway. I can't believe this motor finally stopped making theses anoying grinding noises on acceleration at 100k km! Now, lets see if I can fix the vibrations and the thing that makes the motor run unevenly (even on cruise control, it accel and slow down in kind of a cycle motion).

Thanks for the fix Steptoe. Wish I understood what this remapping does exactly!
Joker, the "hunting" you refer to - the uneven running - is most probably due to imbalanced fuel injection. I had a similar problem on my 1100RT, balanced the 2 injector bodies, and the hunting disappeared.

The basic modus operandi is as follows:
1) Take a quick run to the shops and back to get the engine to operating temperature, put bike on center stand.

2) Take 2 identical vacuum gauges (I'm a refrigeration technician so this worked easiest for me) and connect them to the 2 small vapor recovery tubes at the bottom of the injector bodies.

3) Start the bike, let it idle. If the readings on the 2 gauges are different, adjust the brass screws at the back of the throttle bodies until the 2 readings are near identical. It shouldn't take more than about half a turn clock- or anticlockwise on either side.

4) Now, turn up the revs until about 2500-3000 RPM, and check the levels. 5 gets you 10 the levels are out again! This time, turn the cable adjuster (after loosening the locknut) on the right hand side throttle body until the levels are identical. Tighten the locknut, plug the vapor tubes back, and go take a ride!

Older riders who remember the twin SU setup certain cars (like the old Jaguars?) had, will know what I talk about when I say you had to balance your carbs. Or if you had one of those Kawasaki Z1300's or Honda CB1000 6-cylinder bikes.....
Dokken Fronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #85
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtortore
How far 'north' - Here in Canada, I run mine with 87 Octane most of the time .. no worries.
Enjoy the cheaper prices!

Richard
From Saskatchewan to Prudhoe Bay. Far enough north?
Gas is still $109 a liter here. Cheap?
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #86
rtortore
'00 R1150GS

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman
From Saskatchewan to Prudhoe Bay. Far enough north?
Gas is still $109 a liter here. Cheap?
I didn't realize you are a fellow Canuck (I didnt even notice the Sask tag) - it was tounge in cheek CND vs US gas prices.
It was 116.9/L here in Vancouver this AM ...
Anything can happen."
rtortore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #87
ThomasJ2895
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Ping Blues

Just picked up the cam tensioner upgrade parts on the home from work today (took a special order from the BMW dealer ) with high hopes of making the pinging go away! While on the way home got the dang thing to ping at 6k May also give the remapping technique a go. Here's hoping.
XT225
and too many broken cars...so says the wife
ThomasJ2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #88
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ2895
Just picked up the cam tensioner upgrade parts on the home from work today (took a special order from the BMW dealer ) with high hopes of making the pinging go away! While on the way home got the dang thing to ping at 6k May also give the remapping technique a go. Here's hoping.
My bike did that. In the end I took it to the dealer. They took the left jug off and apparently one of the valves wasn't seating properly. The bike had lost loads of power as well. Is yours still performing as it should?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #89
Xsbank
Crusty Road Hazard

Oddometer: 65
My 98 R1100R has a pink plug, pins 30, 86 and 87A, which is the mystery plug missing from the list. The bike surges (much less since I sync'd and did a valve adjust) and it has the dreaded 'on/off' throttle off of idle. So far, no pinging (40,000 km).

I will make up the jumper as depicted and try it out. Before my Accelerator arrives.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #90
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Thanks!

I'll try that as soon as I can get a vacuum gauge. I think a friend of mine has some electronic ones.

Thanks a lot for the procedure!

[EDIT]

I found theses on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-LED-SMOKED-GAUG...item2eadce0630

Can you confirm that it's what I'm looking for? If so, I'm totally buying 2 of theses.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokken Fronk
Joker, the "hunting" you refer to - the uneven running - is most probably due to imbalanced fuel injection. I had a similar problem on my 1100RT, balanced the 2 injector bodies, and the hunting disappeared.

The basic modus operandi is as follows:
1) Take a quick run to the shops and back to get the engine to operating temperature, put bike on center stand.

2) Take 2 identical vacuum gauges (I'm a refrigeration technician so this worked easiest for me) and connect them to the 2 small vapor recovery tubes at the bottom of the injector bodies.

3) Start the bike, let it idle. If the readings on the 2 gauges are different, adjust the brass screws at the back of the throttle bodies until the 2 readings are near identical. It shouldn't take more than about half a turn clock- or anticlockwise on either side.

4) Now, turn up the revs until about 2500-3000 RPM, and check the levels. 5 gets you 10 the levels are out again! This time, turn the cable adjuster (after loosening the locknut) on the right hand side throttle body until the levels are identical. Tighten the locknut, plug the vapor tubes back, and go take a ride!

Older riders who remember the twin SU setup certain cars (like the old Jaguars?) had, will know what I talk about when I say you had to balance your carbs. Or if you had one of those Kawasaki Z1300's or Honda CB1000 6-cylinder bikes.....

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Joker_-_ screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 12:52 PM
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote