User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #106
Shiny_Simon
Clueless Cruiser Exile

Oddometer: 42
Tried the jumper

It was cool and rainy here today, so couldn't test under warm conditions but I think it made a difference. I tired to get it to ping, no could do.

Wouldn't that be something. The only 2 things that I disliked about a bike I otherwise love are the stock headlights and the pinging.

Thanks to this forum I fixed the lighting issue with a set of HID's for under $50 and 2 hours to install, then I may have fixed the pinging for $0 and 5 minutes labor.

And this from someone who scores pretty low on the gene pool when it comes to being mechanically gifted.

Thanks Steptoe, even if it is 4 years later.
Shiny_Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #107
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny_Simon
Thanks Steptoe, even if it is 4 years later.
Here to help. And to keep everyones bikes running in the simplest ways possible and without incurring expensive running costs.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #108
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I'm curious why the 30 87a connection doesn't change anything or work on the R1100R, just the 1150.

I would think that the 30 87a connection would make the bike run richer ie: it thinks there is no cat. On my 10 yr old bike I doubt the cat has anything left in it.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #109
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2
I'm curious why the 30 87a connection doesn't change anything or work on the R1100R, just the 1150.

1100 has different (older, more basic) motronic.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #110
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,462
OK - splitting hairs here a bit since many folks say they use this.

What Gauge wire do you use? I imagine the relay has an amp limit before it fries? Shouldn't this "jumper" have that as well? This would mean we should be aware of what gauge wire we are jumping with.

I do like the backyard fix though. It is stupid to pay big $$ for something this simple.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #111
mdmaroon
Mike

Oddometer: 159
On my 2000 R1150GS there was no CCP. I also have no cat because it was replaced by a Y-Pipe by the previous owner.

To attempt to reduce surging, I'm trying the 30 & 87 jumper connection as suggested by Steptoe. The thing is, this is listed in the charts as the setting for use WITH a cat and high octane fuel. So wouldn't that be the original configuration for my bike?

In other words, my bike should have come with the yellow plug in the first place, so all I'm doing is returning it to original configuration?

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm about to!
mdmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #112
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe
I agree it is a different version 2.2 vs 2.4 but it shows similar connections for either a 1100 or a 1150. That's why I was asking the question.

I really don't have any surge issues to speak of and last night two up with luggage ( not totally full ) at speeds from 50mph to 80 mph I averaged approx 51 mpg ( canadian gallon ) so I haven't got anything to complain about. Just curious.

Its actually better for the engine to not run rich as long as you are not getting driveability issues because its too lean.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #113
mdmaroon
Mike

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmaroon
On my 2000 R1150GS there was no CCP. I also have no cat because it was replaced by a Y-Pipe by the previous owner.

To attempt to reduce surging, I'm trying the 30 & 87 jumper connection as suggested by Steptoe. The thing is, this is listed in the charts as the setting for use WITH a cat and high octane fuel. So wouldn't that be the original configuration for my bike?

In other words, my bike should have come with the yellow plug in the first place, so all I'm doing is returning it to original configuration?

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm about to!
Just a follow up to this posting...

I have had a chance to test the bike with the jumper setting and it seems that the throttle is more progressive at low speeds. I guess I had the "on-off" problem and didn't really realize it. Now I can use minimal throttle for finer control during slow speed maneuvers and such.

Bike sounds a little more throaty and the engine also responds faster if I blip the throttle while down-shifting. So rideability has improved I would say.

There has been no change in the surging. The bike still surges, but I think that's probably considered "normal" for a 2000 R1150GS.

I've seen reference to a certain Autolite spark plug that is supposed to reduce surging. I'm skeptical about that. Would that seriously work? BMW changed to the dual spark system in an effort to fix the surging problem, so I suppose it is plausable that it's an ignition related problem and any changes to ignition components might help. Is there such a thing as an aftermarket ignition controller that could be used on a GS?
mdmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #114
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe
That's true as far as it goes, the 2.2 is older than the 2.4. And the date it was manufactured may be the thing. The 2.2 isn't more basic (like in function I mean), that the 2.4. Rather, the CCP map for the 1100 seems to work better on the 1150, because the 2.2 map was made to meet earlier emissions regs.

It's reasonable to imagine that the 1100 2.2 Motronic maps are still programmed into the later model 1150 2.4 Motronic. And from an emissions regulation point of view, the earlier 1100 map may work better on an 1150 than the later 1150 map, because the earlier 1100 map is a little richer in certain places.

It's obvious Steptoe has tested all the CCP positions, even the '1150 CCP positions', on the 1100, otherwise he wouldn't be saying they doesn't work on an 1100. But the reason it doesn't work likely isn't because of emissions regs. Rather, the program map for the 1150 2.4 Motronic prolly didn't exist yet, and so couldn't have been programmed into the earlier 2.2 Motronic.

That and there's no earlier, slightly richer emissions map for the 1100 to switch to. The 1150 can switch to the 1100 map, but there isn't an earlier map for the 1100 to use.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 06:09 PM Reason: clarify
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #115
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,390
My 2003 R1150RT has the pink jumper - 30 -87 - 87A

( NOT 205 )

I have a Remus exhaust with the cat.

What jumper config would work best at killing the surging on my RT?

Thanks -

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 05:25 PM
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #116
Xsbank
Crusty Road Hazard

Oddometer: 65
Laugh

I have had surging and on/off throttle ever since I bought this bike used. '98 R1100R with 40,000 km. Since I bought it, I have set the valves, synced the throttle-bodies, replaced the Bosch plugs with Champions and changed all the oils. All of these mods have made subtle improvements, but none that I would say are 'eureka!' moments. Today, I replaced the chain-tensioner with a new one from Rubber Chicken Racing and this is the business! I have better starts, better low-speed throttle response, better throttle response when 'blipping' and better 'feel' when I roll on the throttle on the highway above 3500 RPM. I can roll away in traffic by feathering the clutch and she is silent! When its time to go I just open the throttle - what a concept!

I have ordered an adapter (accelerator? Forgot the name....) and that should arrive next week, that is probably the last thing I can do to it, but its so much better than it was that I almost want to take it to the PO to gloat!

Even if you 'think' your chain tensioner is ok, toss it and put in the newer iteration, its worth the $80 or so it cost.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #117
the_menno
Forever Noob

Oddometer: 190
I'm a believer!

So, I tried Steptoe's 'jumper' on my '03 GSA in the 30-87a configuration, and I've noticed the following:

1) Surging is weaker. It's still there..... but weaker.

2) There's more 'meat', if you will, behind the throttle.

and

3) Pinging is gone on hard acceleration!

All I can say is WOW and Thank You Steptoe!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #118
ThomasJ2895
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Wish it worked for me :(

Had hopes this would cure my 01 GS pings but no luck. Things tried so far:
1) Techron...many bottles worth
2) Seafoam
3) Water torture
4) Cam Chain Tensioner upgrade (fixed the marbles in a can)
5) valve adj
6) TBS
7) Motronic jumper
8) 100 octane...it loved this stuff but at $7.50/gal somewhat impractical.

not necessarily in that order.
Wishes for a 1200!
XT225
and too many broken cars...so says the wife
ThomasJ2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #119
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ2895
Had hopes this would cure my 01 GS pings but no luck. Things tried so far:
1) Techron...many bottles worth
2) Seafoam
3) Water torture
4) Cam Chain Tensioner upgrade (fixed the marbles in a can)
5) valve adj
6) TBS
7) Motronic jumper
8) 100 octane...it loved this stuff but at $7.50/gal somewhat impractical.

not necessarily in that order.
Wishes for a 1200!
Are you sure that you have no vacuum leaks? Check to make sure the vacuum plugs on the bottom of the TB arent cracked (if you've had a cannisterectomy), and your intake manfolds (the rubber between the TB and the head) arent cracked an/or leaking.. You can spray a little WD40 around all of the above mentioned areas with the engine idling and if you hear the RPM's changing, you have a vacuum leak.. Mine rides markedly better with new vacuum plugs installed..

My thery is that they get a little bit of gas settling in them every once in a while and it causes them to deteriorate.. When they get bad, she pops on decel like crazy and low speed surging rears it ugly head.. After I replace them is all goes away, instantly..

I run Autolites and have adjusted the valves once or maybe twice in the past 20K miles and mine doesnt surge a bit..
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #120
the_menno
Forever Noob

Oddometer: 190
Try this?

Hey ThomasJ2895!

Did you do a complete spark plug change-out? It's a relatively cheap thing to do and you eventually have to do it anyhow, so why not try it?