User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2003, 07:29 AM   #1
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Oddometer: 26,696
Pissed Broken Spoke

This fucker just broke a spoke. Front wheel. I stayed on and got it pulled over, but that doesn't change the fact that it tried to kill me. Not a happy boy this morning.

The dealer is not open yet, so i'm getting ammunition. Who has broken spokes? I know Flanny and Cat have both recently done in a couple. Who else? Can those of you who have had problems please email me at admin@ktmcanada.com . We have got to let them know before one of us gets hurt.

Flanny! What did you discover when you asked about riding short spoked? I just unscrewed the stub and continued on my merry way. This evening i am going to put my other wheels on. Are they going to be any safer? What spokes are the problems?

This thing only has 4000 km on it. Do i have to replace these pricks every 4000km? What is causing this?

Pissed,

Colin

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:08 AM   #2
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,155
Bluhduh

Well, I have ridden the Rallye bike off-pavement with a bronken front spoke for approx. 125 miles, until the front tube started to leak air slowly, that was not a big deal.
I've been checking my spoke tension regularly these days.. like every other time I fill up the tank, which is approx. 5-600 miles.
The "listening to the tone" method of spoke tensioning has been the most hassle-less I find and use. 7mm spoke wrench tip is just a tad big for the nipples and 6mm is just too small. I find myself tightening at least 3 spokes each time I check the spoke tension.. I can't tell if they are the same three spokes that loosen all the time.
I bought myself a new front wheel, and ready to slap on some new tire to make it a spare. If I break another spoke on the same wheel, I think I will slap on the spare and take apart the broken wheel to lace it up with a 19" front rim..
It sucks to fight a broken front spoke while riding... I hope you did not get a flat along with the broken spoke as I did.
Good luck there trying to get KTM to warranty the front wheel or spoke.. I doubt that would happen.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:44 AM   #3
Grover
Blinkenlights Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Re: Broken Spoke

Quote:
Said Loadedagain:
This fucker just broke a spoke. Front wheel. I stayed on and got it pulled over, but that doesn't change the fact that it tried to kill me. Not a happy boy this morning.
Losing one spoke made it hard to control?
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #4
Loadedagain OP
making chips

wasn't the loss of the spoke. twas the fact it was jammed in the rotor. locked front wheels are difficult to steer. especially when the lock and turn, lock and turn erratically.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:49 AM   #5
Grover
Blinkenlights Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Yikes!! Not meaning to sound like a smartass, but maybe its time to try safety-wiring or taping crossed pairs of spokes.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:02 AM   #6
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Bummer man.

Well...My rear broke after 18,000 kms, and I heard it is pretty comming for dirt bikes to break spokes from time to time.

I have to be honest...I had never checked the spokes. I though they were a "set-em-and-forget-em" type of thing.

Now, I bought an Enduro Engineering Spoke wrench, and I check 'em all the time. You would not believe how far mine were out.

Always learning...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
Stuka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Yumpin' Yiminney

Would we be talking about a KTooooooom. I had a 1999 KTM 380 MXC I raced in the Northern Cal Enduro series and it was a notorious spoke spanker. First, get yourself a good spoke wrench, the one for the KTM's from Motion Pro are the best. Second, remove all of your rubber items from said wheel. Third, on the inside rim nipple hole, place 1 (one) uno, ichi, drop of break free or similar oil. I know, I know, 'Why the hell does he want me to lube the nipples?!?!?!?" Well, as you attempt to adjust these little bastards, and they have taken a set, you will ROYALLY hump the mutt and strip off the adjusting flats on the nipples. After you have lubed the nipples, God I like that, let it sit over night, REALLY! Block the bike, reinstall the rubberless rim and associated hardware and begin the pinging in the spokes. If you have a reasonable ear, you will definitely hear the ones out of tune. Tweak said spoke 1/4 of a turn in the tighty direction, not the loosey direction. Mark that spoke and proceed. Repeat said function until all of those little steely bastards are singing the relatively same tune. It ain't rocket science and I have been where you are MANY MANY MANY MANY times before. If you continue to break spokes I heartily suggest you order from Bulldog a set of their very incredible strong stainless steel spokes. Of course you will then get to experience the "Lacing the wheel" drill which can be a very interresting and soothing drill. You can also order, for several large bundles of cash, the Talon hub and Excel wheel set up for your bike. And it is BEAUTIFUL swag for the Ktoooooom. Good luck and keep us posted.
Stuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Loadedagain OP
making chips

For the mechanical engineers in the bunch (Flanny, myself, and ???) this is the cool shit. Here is an image of the fracture. Whadaya think this is?
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #9
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Here's a side view. Note there is no necking. Hmmmmm.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2003, 08:53 PM   #10
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Here is the interm fix. Dirties are on for the street.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Hmm...Looks like some kind of corrosion or something..

Anyway...your bike looks the shit with the black wheels man!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #12
Stuka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Gaddamit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUPPEROONIAN!
Gadam KTM!! This is the same failure that the 380 experienced and it appears to be intergranular corrosion caused by excessive flexing. Many of us Katoom riders have had the SAME failure many times. I noticed this years Katoom's have a different spoke setup and I wonder if it's corporates way of addressing the problem. Damn your bike is giving me a chubby of epic proportions!!!!! Do you really ride this thing or do you, like many of us, stand in your garage in your undies with your cup of coffee admiring the deux ex machina. My suggestion to you to avert any more spoke failures is to do one of two things, one is a straight forward pain in the ass, the other is just beautifully expensive. Check 'em every time you ride or, buy the Talon and Excell wheels. If you buy the wheels set we will all bow before you and praise your fortitude and cast alms into the penny well for years of fortune to make up for the greens you threw at your rolling stock. Now, for the failure at hand. The shiney portion in the failure area across the diameter of the spoke was the actual working failure. If it broke at the top of the spoke thread I think we can safely assume that the threading process is failing the spokes at the factory. Small surface cracks in high carbon steel have a way of just turning perfectly good swag in roadside crap. The stresses follow the grain structure of the metal and the grey area still on the face of the spoke is the actual rupture point. In other words, the point that the spoke actually let loose. At one point I had about fifteen of these little trophies until I switched over to the Bulldog spokes, then of course there were the Excel rimes, the ICO computers, pipes, bars, forks, shocks, oh shit, here I go again. Anyway, you can also buy a kit of dye penetrant that allows you to check these types of materials for cracks. It is a two step process: THe offending spokes are cleaned with an environmentally wickedly bad solvent, sprayed with a penetrating dye, rinsed and a developer is applied. The dye leaches through the developer and WALLA, instant crack. Anyway, brothers is here for a ride. TO the streets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:38 PM   #13
Loadedagain OP
making chips

dude. i guess you cant see coz they're black. the excel's are on, and the stockers are off for repair with better hubs and spokes. I give up on shyte KTM spokage. Unfortunately i had my new rims laced to KTM rigid hubs. the talons are going to be laced this fall.

Do i have to post more shots with different wheels? On to my third set on tuesday.

BTW. i do ride it. i ride my exc more, but the 640 does have 4000 odd km since January. What to do... buy a guzzi i tinks.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #14
Vagabond
Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer: 484
zip-ty

Zip tie the pairs of spokes together. This will reduce the chance of your rotor eating another spoke.

I thought that only my front wheel was a piece of shit, but now I know that I'm not alone. Shitty wheel owners unite!

Old 06-13-2003, 05:51 AM   #15
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Re: zip-ty

Quote:
Said Vagabond:
Zip tie the pairs of spokes together. This will reduce the chance of your rotor eating another spoke.

I thought that only my front wheel was a piece of shit, but now I know that I'm not alone. Shitty wheel owners unite!