Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #3631
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Has anyone replaced the head bearings on their NH with tapered bearings? I might want to do that--wanted to see if there are any tips, things to look out for, as I do.
genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #3632
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
Has anyone replaced the head bearings on their NH with tapered bearings? I might want to do that--wanted to see if there are any tips, things to look out for, as I do.

Just did my 650, no problems.

Used a chisel to ease off the lower race from the steering stem.
Bought a section of 1/2 threaded rod and some washers/ nuts to press in the new races into the head. worked fine. Use the old races as padding. A piece of PVC pipe that I had laying around was used to put the new race on the stem. removing and replacing all of the gear at the front of the bike is the biggest nuisance.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #3633
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 314
'Spleen--
I did my 650 three years ago, when I first got it. It was a sorry mess, so I replaced all the replace-ables.
I tend to over-think things and worry about how things go together, so putting in the tapered head bearings was probably more of a job as a result.
But it was straightforward, as I recall. Some confusion about which side is up, but the folks on the nighthawk forum got me squared away. A question about spacers was answered there too.
All in all nothing too challenging, once my brain got out of the way.
I hadn't ridden the bike with the old bearings, but they looked . Bike rides quite well now; a few long trips and another in May on those bearings.
Good luck.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #3634
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
I checked out my octane rating in Clymers at 86, and that is Mobil regular (Mobil runs the best with me historically, mileage and performance any kind of vehicle).

I had always heard, premium, regular, ... It is just octane!

On regular, it fires so much stronger and easier. Plus, it is cheaper too!

I really hate putting gas in though holding those stupid vapor lock springs back. I need to sue them for carpal tunnel :-(
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #3635
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Up at Boonslick State Park yesterday, to trundle around the old salt works facility.

genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #3636
ThunderLizard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Gratuitous Nighthawk pictures

Took these a few minutes ago. Taken in the marshlands of SW Michigan, near the wine country.

photo IMG_20130421_133306_270.jpg

photo IMG_20130421_133401_558.jpg
ThunderLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #3637
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Looks like a great day for riding. Nice photos.

Instead of riding this afternoon I thought I'd put on the new rear tire on the '82 450 I bought a few weeks ago.

This bike is new to me with under 9,000mi on the clock. I've ridden it just about a hundred miles so far. Mostly at speeds under 45mph. I put a new front tire on last week, the DOT code was 406. That's 1996, right? This was the first motorcycle tire I've ever changed but it went fairly smoothly. The guy on the Youtube video did it in 12 minutes but it took me all afternoon. :)
So today I started to put the new rear tire on, code was 384. The axle took a little pounding to drive out but not too bad. Since I've never taken a rear wheel off a motorcycle I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. But I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have been this:

There aren't supposed to be jagged bits of metal in there are there?

Or those half bearings outside the race?

I'm about to read up on bearings in Clymer. Any other thoughts? Suggestions?
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #3638
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 129
Looks like your outer bearing exploded. Your outer bearing is supposed to look just like the one shown on the wheel hub in your picture. Not too big of a deal to replace. You may need a bearing puller to get the old mess out. Might as well do a few others bearings while you're at it...
Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #3639
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

Oddometer: 203
Memphis Shades Bladerunner Windshield

Hey folks! It's been forever since I posted something here I am ashamed to say. My '03 Nighthawk 750 has/had a Memphis Shades Bladerunner Windshield in gradient black on it. I've been teaching my son to ride (don't think little kid, he's 31, 6'6" and 270#'s, think hulk). Anywho, he dropped it and broke the windshield. Motorcycle Superstore had one just like it for $59.95 when he broke it. Should have ordered it then. Now, the only place I can find one is fleabay and the seller wants $87 for a clear one. Any of you all know where I could find one in gradient black (or gradient red) for a reasonable price?
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #3640
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Hey folks! It's been forever since I posted something here I am ashamed to say. My '03 Nighthawk 750 has/had a Memphis Shades Bladerunner Windshield in gradient black on it. I've been teaching my son to ride (don't think little kid, he's 31, 6'6" and 270#'s, think hulk). Anywho, he dropped it and broke the windshield. Motorcycle Superstore had one just like it for $59.95 when he broke it. Should have ordered it then. Now, the only place I can find one is fleabay and the seller wants $87 for a clear one. Any of you all know where I could find one in gradient black (or gradient red) for a reasonable price?

Is the Malibu close? http://www.memphisshades.com/universal-mount/malibu

Maybe National Cycle has something similar (or acceptable)? http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog.shtml
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #3641
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
Is the Malibu close? http://www.memphisshades.com/universal-mount/malibu

Maybe National Cycle has something similar (or acceptable)? http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalog.shtml

You know, actually it does look kind of close. I'm going to call Memphis Shades this morning and see what they say. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #3642
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Max pedal/peg adjustment?

I sat on/rode my first Nighthawk today and the ergonomics were fine except for the pedal-to-peg distance. I've wear a size 14 shoe and working the clutch meant moving my left foot in this awkward tippy-toe motion and the rear brake was missing my forefoot entirely. How much range of adjustment is there? I'm thinking I'd want to move them about 2" further apart if I had one.
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #3643
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
I sat on/rode my first Nighthawk today and the ergonomics were fine except for the pedal-to-peg distance. I've wear a size 14 shoe and working the clutch meant moving my left foot in this awkward tippy-toe motion and the rear brake was missing my forefoot entirely. How much range of adjustment is there? I'm thinking I'd want to move them about 2" further apart if I had one.
epb: I think I can help. If "working the clutch meant moving my left foot in this awkward tippy-toe motion" was found to be inconvenient, try using your left hand. I think it will make things easier. It's how I've always done it.

Slayer screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:59 AM
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #3644
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
epb: I think I can help. If "working the clutch meant moving my left foot in this awkward tippy-toe motion" was found to be inconvenient, try using your left hand. I think it will make things easier. It's how I've always done it.
Sounds crazy enough to work! :P
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #3645
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 679
Our nighthawk 250 just started acting goofy... It'll start just fine, choked when cold, once it heats its a really fast tap on the starter and it spins right up (this is seriously the easiest starting bike I've ever owned) and then it'll sit there and idle just fine.
BUT if you add any throttle, it'll bog down and try to stall. If I'm really quick and give it several light throttle 'taps' in a row, it will get through the 'bog' zone and rev right up, but then it won't come back down right away, like its getting a bit more fueling after you close the throttle.
AND its developed a small leak. There were a couple drops on the top of the engine, and after I messed with it for a little bit troubleshooting the above, after I put it away there is maybe 2 tablespoons worth of oil on the floor that ran down the kickstand.

Any ideas where to look? I haven't had time to dig into it much, this whole shinding started because we are packing up to move (close on our house Monday) so I need to get this going so I can ride it around and move it.

Thanks!
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote