Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #31
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by eteller
What the best way to jack up a Nighthawk? I need to change my tires, don't have a center stand, and a ATV lift would not work well for me as I don't have a garage to store it in, my shop is in the basement.
LT Snyder (of Motorcycle Consumer News) prefers a stand that he can lift his Ducati cycles from the top (rather than a hydraulic lift underneath). You could rig up something similar by installing two fairly large "eye screws" into the bottom of your ceiling joists and using two stainless steel ratcheting cable lifts for each side of your frame tail to hoist it up.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #32
Dreher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have a 99' that has a powerbronze voyager fairing on it. I have put 29000 miles on it in the two years that I have owned it and all that has happened is the tach is on the fritz. But I think I caused that.

I get the rear wheel off the ground by lifting it on to a cinder block with a folded towel on it. The bike then rests on the exhaust but as long as you let it down gently it is fine. Just lift with your legs not with your back.
Attached Images

Dreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #33
artk
hi

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed
Very Jealous! Love the silver engine. I need to get me one.
I forgot how cool it was to tour with a UJM and a plexi screen.
What kinda backrest/luggage rack is that? Very cool indeed!

I believe its a hondaline backrest/rack not sure on where to get it since it came with the bike. Came with some ugly windscreen too
artk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #34
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
Did the euros get an upgraded Nighthawk with dual front discs? Did they get ABS brakes at some point as well?

There's one sitting at a Vancouver Honda dealer. They only want a few bills, and I'm wondering what the potential is to hop up the suspension and brakes with parts bin items.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #35
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by xncnc
I believe its a hondaline backrest/rack not sure on where to get it since it came with the bike. Came with some ugly windscreen too
Like this one:

That is sooooo 80's
Sweet!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #36
eteller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
Did the euros get an upgraded Nighthawk with dual front discs? Did they get ABS brakes at some point as well?

There's one sitting at a Vancouver Honda dealer. They only want a few bills, and I'm wondering what the potential is to hop up the suspension and brakes with parts bin items.
Yep, I've got a coffee table type book called "Superbikes" published in England and they have the NH with front (dual) and rear discs, as well as alot of other uprated stuff, shocks with resiviors, adjustable forks, etc. As usual we get the shaft on this side of the pond! Hmm, might have to troll european ebay. Are you saying the canadian models have the dual discs as well? Actually with a SS line and HH pads the single disc does okay, would probably be inadaquate for track use, but for hard street use mine is fine. What I want is more go fast parts!

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, except in South Central.
eteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #37
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
I haven't seen a dual disc setup here, though some of the grey bike importers could probably bring one in for cheap, if I wanted it bad enough.

The biggest draw for me would be ABS if it was ever available.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #38
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,383
Wow, just noticed this thread.

1992 CB750, bone stock plus cheap amber fog lights patched in on homemade brackets, national cycle street shield, and cortech soft bags.

Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge
Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #39
burgeme
doGwoManDont

Oddometer: 48
Nighthawk Centerstand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreher
.....that has happened is the tach is on the fritz. But I think I caused that.
These bikes are notorious for the tachs going bad - right around the 20K mile area. Mine no longer works but I'm used to listening to the engine to tell me what gear I'm in.

Several mods: Large plexifairing II windshield (only in winter), 16T sprocket, GIVI hard luggage with wingrack, Sargent seat, centerstand.

Quote:
I get the rear wheel off the ground by lifting it on to a cinder block with a folded towel on it. The bike then rests on the exhaust but as long as you let it down gently it is fine. Just lift with your legs not with your back.
Ouch! You're hurting me - I've had two back surgeries this year - ooops! that would be last year - get yourself a centerstand - they're only a little over $100 - if that bike were to fall over there would be more than $100 in damage. If you get hurt (back) you'll be selling the bike to pay the doctors bills.

http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/phr3/4685.html

Just my $0.02
burgeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #40
Dreher
Adventurer

I keep meaning to get a centerstand but I always am about to get a new bike. The problem is once I start looking for a new bike I realize that nothing will be as simple, reliable and versatile as my nighthawk.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #41
Dreher
Adventurer

This is what it looks like with the fairing
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #42
eteller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a 99' that has a powerbronze voyager fairing on it. I have put 29000 miles on it in the two years that I have owned it and all that has happened is the tach is on the fritz. But I think I caused that.

What kinda windscreen is that in the pic? Looks sporty.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #43
eteller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oops, pic didn't show up, I mean the windscreen in the little picture, not the black fairing.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #44
Dreher
Adventurer

Its a national cycle F-16 tour shield. I used it when I rode to Bike Week and for the summer months on my 120 mile round trip commute. It works great keeps your head in nice clean air but takes most of the pressure off of your torso
Old 01-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #45
fatbloke

Oddometer: 803
how bout baby hawks?

fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote